1970 datsun 521 J15 rat rod barn find

wobble

G'day I'm James,

I'm new to the forum and to Datsun's, I'm sure I'll have heaps of questions for you guy as I start my build.

I live in Sydney Australia, most recently I have spent my time working on my Yamaha SR400 cafe racer, but I had been looking for a ute as a second car.

The other day I was flicking through car sales when I spotted a 1970 datsun 1 tonne ute for sale in the back lands of Queensland. I've never owned or even thought about owning a datsun, when I saw this I had to have it.

I plan to get her running, clear coat, lower it and make it loud.

I'm getting the ute dropped of next week, I will know more about the work that it need to be done when I get my hands on it.

Cheers

James W

• Like 3
  • Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Im going to cut down the bed and lower it ( that should be fun),

I want to go low, ive been watching videos on how to install blocks, the front looks a little more complacated, i dont know what indexing means. Blocks are illegal here so I will do that after I get it back on the road, Its been parked up for 5 years and on a farm for the past 12 years, who kown what home handy man stuff has been done.

im thinking with the wheel ill keep them standard painted red, hub caps and white walls.

Here's a photo im my fat ass ripping arround eastern creek (sydney)

12712546765_e1c5f6a786.jpg

• Like 2

That bed is awesome. I'ts like some sort of military accessory :P

Love the patina on the cab. As far as lowering, the torsion bars actually make this much easier imo and it's free other than the time it takes (or if you break/lose the bolt/nuts). Here is the guide I used to learn how to re-index the bars:

http://www.mazdabscene.com/forums/suspension/how-index-torsion-bars-with-pics-t22874.html

Notably, I learned on a B2200, but the process is very similar. There is a thread on here that also explains the process and shows the C-clip that you (may) have to remove. I'm not sure on the 521, but on the 620 I had to remove the clip to slide the bar back enough to remove and reindex the bracket. Make sure you clean the bar and bracket and mark them so you know where you started.

• Like 3

Wait, why didn't I see this earlier...

12709902103_a57b578c4e_o.jpg

12709724755_b90b217daa.jpg

Why so horny bro? :P

The dash top looks like it has been re covered is some cheap material. I've never seen a 521 up close, but it looks off from the picture. It should be some sort of vinyl I believe.

• Like 1

The car has been picked up from the farm as is on its way from queensland. only 1050km to go.

Not sure if ill have room for the tool boxes, I want to drop the deck as low as I can, ill reasses then.

I like the look of the camero chin spoiler, I can pick up a cheep plastic one for $30.00 or a metal one for $104.00 delivered.

12766087695_db903b2989.jpg

I think i'm going to pick up a set of these

12767631083_f521a2401e.jpg

• Like 1

Lower the front a bit and just call it good.

Put a electronic ignition in there if possible/ Pertronix makes a conversion for these I think.Makke sure to use a point coil in there also. Not the newer low ohm types otherwise youll burn up points.

Paint rim white and small whitewall with the hubcaps looks good.

I would leave the paint. I like that Patina/surface rust you got going. just buff it out.

• Like 1

Welcome. Great truck!  That is a perfect truck for your purpose.  I wish we had those beds here in the states.  If you have time I would like the outside measurements of your bed.  I guess you call them trays.  I have a 521 that I want to flat bed it.

• Like 1

Welcome. Great truck!  That is a perfect truck for your purpose.  I wish we had those beds here in the states.  If you have time I would like the outside measurements of your bed.  I guess you call them trays.  I have a 521 that I want to flat bed it.

Amen!  I would love to make a flat bed but the cost of fabrication is more than the old truck is worth.  Those tray beds rock, seen them in the Middle East, like the old Toyota Land Cruiser-style trucks.  I just think the truck would look awesome as built.

• Like 1

First things first, I've got to get this truck on the road, it hasn't ran for over 5 years and the wheels are locked on.

I'll give it a good going over, get it registered and I think I'll drive it for a bit before I do anything.

When the truck arrives I'm happy to take a few more photos and get some mesurments for the tray.

It's on it's way!

James W

• Like 2