car has been sitting 7 years Im getting no Spark from the coil

Datsun510Boy

got gas in carb ?

you see gas squirt in the main barrel when cycleing the gas? if yes then your almost there.

it needs to fire off.

you even ck to see if gas shooting in carb?

I really think you should sell this car.

like I said did you cycle the linkage to the carb and look to see if gas is squirting in there. YOU NEED TO CK THIS NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If not gas is squirting in there then the carb needle valve is sticky not letting gas in or the float sank or the fuel pump is not working cause there is no car in the car or the fuek pump is bad.

To ck the fuel pump take the line that come out of fuel pump and goes to the carb. disconnect at carb. pull off and have soembody start the car and the pump should be able to shoot alot of gas out. Point in safe direction.

Ok gas so going to the carb correct? Now cycle the linkage with your hand and look inside the car top and ssee if you see it shooting in. yes you got to take the aircleaner off and look.

if its the stock carb there is a site glass level you can see and should match up with the line on glass. If no gas in there its Obvious. If you have a weber carb then this is why I say cycle the gas to see if the accell pump works as this indicates a full bowl of gas in the carb

You really need to do this. It's called problem solving. Yes you can just keep changing things until you get lucky.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

no spark no jump when engine is started i think the starter is dead cause sometime it jumps sometimes it doesn't i cranked a few time then no crank at all tapped starter it helped for a while then nothing lol frustrating don't know much about cars but I'm learning as  go thats for all suggestions as i said before

battery cables need to be cked or cleaned also.

Seems you like buying lots of parts.

I bet the starter is fine also. But since you put a new battery in there I assume the contacks on battery cable are now clean.

You need to be more clear in your trouble shooting. Your Speaking Ebonics

no spark no jump when engine is started i think the starter is dead cause sometime it jumps sometimes it doesn't i cranked a few time then no crank at all tapped starter it helped for a while then nothing

WTF!!!!!!!!!!! write down exactly what you have done and cked. Like I said you actually see gas shooting in the carb? You said you saw gas shoot from the fuel pump so that OK. But never said the carb.

if it fired with starter fluid then the elelctrics are OK

Guys,  Time out!

With good intentions, we're making a bunch of assumptions here. We don't know if it ran 7 years ago when the prior owner put it up.  I think some of the responses exceed the present level of his knowledge of cars in general and Datsuns in particular.   I was this guy thirteen years ago.  And yes, he can keep buying stuff to replace until he lucks across the right combination but that gets real expensive real fast.  We have no idea what "things" have been done to this Datsun before this kid got it;  it's highly unlikely to be factory stock.   And if there's one thing I've learned with my 510, Datsuns are not, ever, plug-n-play. 

1)  We need pictures of his distributor and his carb.  He has no idea which carb it has or if its an El Dizzy and that would help a lot.

2)  If the fuel is 7 years old, drain it out, all of it in the tank, even the lines to the carb.  Its bad.  Replace with 4-5 gallons of fresh gas. 

3)  Charge the battery overnight.

4)  Drain the oil, replace oil and filter. make sure there's no water in the drained oil.

Do all of the above as soon as possible.

Let's start over.  

We know the coil is working

We know the fuel pump is working

We know the starter is working

At least that's what he describes.

The fuel could be bad (my guess)

The distributor could be not sending spark to the plugs  (Points, condenser, rotor, El Dizzy, wires not attached or rusted)

Plugs could be fouled 

Carb not working (he never says if the linkage is working, plus it probably needs at least a cleaning)

Datsun510Boy, send us some pictures of your engine bay especially the carburetor and the coil and distributor.  This site is the most knowledgeable bunch of guys I've ever seen on the web but output quality is only as good as input quality.  And stop buying stuff . . . .

• Like 1

Looking at the photo I think you should take it to soembody you know.

It has sidedrafts and a big huge fucking coil in there and looks like soem hack job wirieing.

I dont see just changing stuff for noting is going to get you anywhere.

You need to troublk shoot this one at a time to eleiminate.

Its simple.

you have spark? plugs timming, distributor, fuse, power to the coil. battery good?

You have gas? carb fuel pump

You have compression? valve lash.

Holy Crap!

I was not expecting to see side drafts and all that crazy wiring.

Wait, don't change anything electrical.

First do the gas.  Really, really do this first.  Only if the gas replacement doesn't work should you even think about changing anything.

And understand what you have is NOT a factory set up.  It is not stock.  Its entirely possible your new coil is not the right ohm rating for what you have.  You can seriously mess up your system if you proceed.

If your itching to do something productive, change the oil, that NEVER hurts.  Then drain the gas.  You can put a Tesla coil in there and it won't fire bad gas.  Drain the gas.

So you're draining the gas, right? 

And nice pictures.  How about a well-lit closeup of the distributor?

Look, here's the theory:

The old fuel in the tank almost certainly contained ethanol.  Even seven years ago, high-altitude cities (El Paso, Albuquerque, Denver) and California cites (Sandy Eggo) had EPA-mandated gasoline blends which contained up to 10% ethanol for pollution purposes.  Ethanol in and of itself is not bad, being about 108 octane, but it has a negative effect on the fuel systems that were not designed for it -- like 71 Datsuns.  Ethanol is the same active ingredient as Jim Beam - and it breaks down aluminum and synthetic rubber fairly quickly.  Unfortunately, it also acts as a varnish remover, even for the inside of a fuel system.  I suspect 43 years of varnish and deposits in the form of soft, gummy resin are now floating in the fuel in your tank and fuel lines after 7 years of exposure to solvent.  And of course, as with any solvent, there is a chemical reaction when it breaks down the deposits, so the ethanol is no longer as effective.  That's why boat owners and classic car owners have noticed you can't leave modern ethanol-based fuels sitting around for any period of time.

Don't confuse ethanol with methanol, like in dragster fuel.  The problem with methanol is it bonds with water and causes rust.

So, one last time, and because I'm an old guy, drain the fuel, all of it, and start over.

Had a chance to change oil today draining gas in the morning was trying to syphon earlier pump wasn't on my team lol had to take my son to a doctors appointment and other things so I'm back at it in the Am. Gas Spark plug and wires if not its to the shop I really think its in the distributer even though i changed cap and roter theres a sensor on the side of it a friend pointed out after checking to see that i do have spark from my coil just when i turn the key power comes on but nothing a small click voltage gauges go up battery new i changed starter and replaced with same type of promaster coil that was in the car older brother was using when it was driving  . well ill see after new wires i got new spark plugs and gapped them . Drain Gas And Let you know . has to be a small mix up maybe a wire or two ill take pictures and post in the morning Thanks For ALL Input 

it has spark turn key no start though if we tap the wires from the starter it turns no jump though car doesn't even act like it wants to start so maybe that small amount of gas is crap . so Gas In the AM TAke Pictures Of the distributer Plugs An wires since i have them and ill Report Back to Ratsun . gotta get this thing rolling !!