How to brighten your 521 green gauge lights with leds

dat521gatherer

Yes I know there is already a thread on this but I'm doing it a bit differently and so I don't want to thread jack or add to the cluster fuck on the other thread. No offense. That's the thread the pushed me to do this which is a great idea.

This is just for the factory green illumination. I don't see any reason to put leds in the blinker, high beam, oil and ignition light sockets.

This is what I used from superbrightleds.com. 4 bulbs wled-nw5 natural white at $3.94 each after tax $18.75

http://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/miniature-wedge-base/194-led-bulb-5-led-wide-angle-wedge-base/199/

Home page, led car bulbs, miniature wedge base bulbs, 194 led bulbs, 5 led wide angle wedge base, wled-nw5

All work can be done from the front to remove the cluster except disconnecting the speedo cable. You do not need to lower the steering column.

1. Reach behind the cluster and unscrew the speedometer cable

2. Remove the 2 bottom screws on the black beauty ring and pull it straight down off the clips.

3. Remove the 2 screws in the top 2 corners of the cluster.

4. Lean the cluster forward and disconnect the round wire harness plug

5. Cluster is out.

6. Separate cluster in half by removing 2 end brackets and four other screws

7. Remove speedometer, temp and fuel gauge

8. Drill holes in the green plastic dome ears where the dimples are then pry up gently as the 2 corner ones have a small amount of brown glue holding them down.

9. Scrape off the white paint from the domes using a box knife or similar.

10. Wipe off the rest of the paint residue with goof off. Careful goof off melts plastic and will make it foggy.

11. Reattach lenses. I wanted to use screws but couldn't find any small enough so I chopped off some nails and used a dab of glue on each one.

12. Reassemble

PICS!!

SANY5382_zps0fe28b2f.jpg

You can see the dimples that line up your drill bit perfectly. I don't know what size I used.

SANY5385_zpsc3a6ebd9.jpg

SANY5389_zps9a752965.jpg

SANY5390_zps825c1247.jpg

Paint scrapped off and cleaned up. My bulbs sockets were not wedge style they were bayonet so I had to get some wedge bases from my stash pile.SANY5393_zps09adc988.jpg

SANY5394_zps537b725f.jpg

I am very happy how the stock color and brightness that came out. SANY5401_zps9cbfc4a3.jpg

SANY5403_zps7cbcd6ac.jpgSANY5409_zpsd2c1f0d8.jpgSANY5411_zps51ab470a.jpgSANY5412_zpsaf087dbe.jpg

• Like 2
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks but this has been done already,we use LED's and they look way better.

Yes I know there is already a thread on this but I'm doing it a bit differently [...]

Well thought out write up. Always nice seeing additional ways to get the job done. Thats the mantra of Ratsun:

"More than one way to rust a cat"

• Like 1

Great write up and great results!!!!  Thanks for taking the time to post it!! 

I wonder if you could use a bigger drill bit to drill off the melted nubs on the backside to release the lenses.  Then you wouldn't have to mess with the nails.

Well thought out write up. Always nice seeing additional ways to get the job done. Thats the mantra of Ratsun:

"More than one way to rust a cat"

Thanks Tristin.

Great write up and great results!!!!  Thanks for taking the time to post it!! 

I wonder if you could use a bigger drill bit to drill off the melted nubs on the backside to release the lenses.  Then you wouldn't have to mess with the nails.

Yeah I really wanted tiny screws but I was using mt lunch break at work and had work with what I had which was one small drill bit. On my next one I'll take my time. Thanks Mike.

well good job! simple and bright

Yes simple and stock is what I was going for. No need for over kill. Thanks Tendril.

Should also work for 410 and 411 instrument cluster.  Pull the plug, remove one screw and loosen 2 wing nuts and the instrument pod slips right out the top of the dashboard.  The mother board looks to be identical.

Oh how I have wanted a 411 cluster with the chrome around the fuel and temp gauges out of a 411. Yes the mother board is the same. Good lookin out mike.