Ryo's carb'd ZX

Ryoskatekov

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, you have different air cleaners. Different sound.

Another thing that makes a difference is the cam. 240Z is high revving profile.

Well, I'm not trying to piss you off or anything but E31/E88 has the same cam as N42/47 and P79.  Although it is true that L28's redline is set at a lower rpm. 

The exact same cam on a larger engine acts like a smaller cam. To get the same effect the duration should increase as engine size increases.

I once thought that the extreme hard charging sound came from high compression. Until I swapped a stock 8.5:1 engine in place of my 10.5:1 engine. Keeping the same exhaust system, it sounded almost the same - and totally different from the mild-mannered sound it made in the original car.

• Like 1

The exact same cam on a larger engine acts like a smaller cam. To get the same effect the duration should increase as engine size increases.

I once thought that the extreme hard charging sound came from high compression. Until I swapped a stock 8.5:1 engine in place of my 10.5:1 engine. Keeping the same exhaust system, it sounded almost the same - and totally different from the mild-mannered sound it made in the original car.

Ah gotcha. thanks.  Well I'll let you know how it goes. I'll try to finish the swap next week. 

Did a lot of work today and yesterday. 

Started pulling the head off, but 280zx being the last year of L28 engine, It sure has a lot of shit added on to which I have to remove just to get the dang, head off.

And turns out, I blew a damn headgasket days before a headswap. I don't know If I'm lucky or not.  The rad is fine but bottom end might be in shitty condition. guna flush it out with some cheap Autozone oil (10W30) then drain it, switch to valvoline VR-1 (20W50) + zinc replacement additive.  

P1010499.JPG

Ugh.. Filthy.  (note how the exhaust manifold are all sooth'd up except for cyl#6...   turns out that one was leaking really bad lol... ) But cylinder walls seem to be in good shape. 

P1010530.JPG

Apparently someone changed the gasket in the past and decided not to drill holes for few of the water lines.... 

P1010539.JPG 

The N47 head thats going on on the left, P79 I just pulled on the right. 

P1010510.JPG

Well, after I'm done cleaning everything I can, I'll start putting it back togather. Hopefully finish it by sunday morning.
Right down to bussiness....     So I got the head swapped but in the process I dropped a bolt and the tensioner down the front cover and ended up replacing all the gaskets of the parts I removed to GET TO the front cover. 

20140423_195315%20(1).jpg

20140425_173926%20(1).jpg

Who knew a useless valve spring compressor can be a useful pulley puller? 

20140426_200650.jpg

Found it.   lost bolt and the chain tensioner that dropped. 

20140426_221018%20(1).jpg

taking off oilpan was more of a bitch than I thought.  had to take off bolts from the mount and lift the engine with a jack lol. 

20140428_174927.jpg

Yuck... coolant and oil 

20140428_183353.jpg

Painted the pulleys, swaybar, and oilpan.  Going with anodized blue and gold scheme. 

20140428_192115.jpg

Timing cover finally off 

20140428_190634.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/52606-bought-a-zx-and-forgot-about-the-permit/

^ Moved the thread from here since The Z section seemed more appropriate. 

Basically I'm a highschooler kid wasting all the money on what used to be beautifully stock ZX and turning it into a confused mix of S30, S130 and Z31 pile. 

P1000659.JPG

where did you get the headlight covers?

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Update: I've got myself a MN47 head with schneider 275/275 cam.... 
I came to the conclusion that the leak is from the previous N47 head OR the Headgasket OR the Front cover so I said f*** it and replace everything again. 
Currently waiting for the Head to come out of the machine shop, Send the rocker arms to delta cams, MSA to ship their headers and get my work ethics up to fix the damn 46mm SU carbs I have that leaks like crazy from the throttle shaft.    NO I AM NOT DEAD YET.  

Anyways, Here's a photo from a while ago that I never posted. Cheers. 

10450133_765746930113903_620800158451073

• Like 1