tachometer woes.

Jason Wright

It's more of a flame 'overlap' than a collision in this case anyway. I was thinking about this earlier and I don't think it's detonation (like Mike said). Because as far back as the late teens and early 20s, engines manufactures of aircraft engines where going to a dual plug system to actually stop detonation, and it did. So yeah, I'm thinking it might just be an oddball noise that a person does not want to hear, so they fixed it.

Thnx for that info. I learned alot from that. Found out how that works.

Check out the two links above. If the Z makes noise while using both plugs it may be the chamber design wasnt optimal for dual plugs...but yeah..they are used to prevent det. Its also possible that the two flame fronts do make noise, but is not damaging like detonation but chose to use the single coil system under load anyway.

• 2 years later...
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi All, I'm new on this chat, I have a 720 king cab , 1985, automatic transmition, Z24 engine, and, I want to add the clock and the tach, I already have from other cluster, so , my main question here, afeter read some comments form King Rat, where can I found the 2.5khoms resistor?, I mean, where can I buy it?, or how can I replace with a common resistor?...If I go to a electronic store and request a 2.5kh , is for sure that I will have to answer questions like, how many Watts?, the Voltage? (12v or more I gess), and the Amps...rigth??...someone have this information ??

It's  possible the resistor is already there taped up in the harness somewhere near the coils behind the driver's side headlamps. You may just find the empty plug. Yes I took one apart and it is just a tiny 2.2K ohm resistor in line.

When my tach on my 84/85/86 (I think my dizzy is from an 85, but I am not really sure) quit working it started functioning again when I put in a new ignition control module (EBCI), then when that one went bad the tach stopped working and I could not figure out what it was until I re[paced the module because it left me stranded so I got a new one and the tach still didn't work but the truck ran, then I replaced it again when that one quit and the tach worked, then I replaced it again with a quality one and the tach has worked ever since. 

Don't buy the cheap modules, Jerrys usually tests them for free.