Possible 320 owner, need advice

datodato

Been reading through multiple topics on here and know that this is the place to post my question.  A kid I know near me is selling an early 1964 L320.  All I know about it is that the engine turns freely, and all the parts are there (including grille).  I have owned and "restored" many cars from this era, and from the looks of things, the engine is not much different from the 1100cc in my Sprite (may even have some interchangeable parts, chime in if not, especially the intake manifold to pop on some SU carbs) 
My question is, is this truck worth the trouble? 

I have no problem getting things to work, but is finding consumables like points, gaskets, oil filters or brake shoes for this thing difficult/unnecessarily expensive? 
The  the floors are gone, as are the rockers, which is no biggie, but just really need to wrap my head around what I am getting myself into here, from the pros (you)

I am trying to post pictures

help

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Parts availability is mixed.  But between using parts from newer Datsuns and rebuilding the originals you should be able to get it sorted mechanically and there are low-buck ways to accomplishing that.  There are generally work-arounds for the parts that are totally extinct, like the distributor for example.  For me the bigger worry on this truck would be the swiss cheese floorboards--if that doesn't scare you parts shouldn't either. 

I've got an experienced sheet-metal welder, and fellow car buddy willing to trade his skills towards an engine for his recent 73 mg midget purchase. So the metal work, which appears from the photos to be rather negligible exterior-wise, is not a worry. Just concerned I wont be able to find a clutch or a head gasket for this thing if need be. It's been sitting for 5 years, so chances are everything needs an overhaul of some sort.

PS. I dont intend of making this truck "Mint", more of a cool, ratty pickup truck that is a pickup truck. May or may not get painted, but will patch the holes to avoid further cancer.  My main goal would be to get it running, driving, and stopping.  My state has no emissions or inspections for cars like this, but I don't want to drive a death trap either.  

A lot of the brake parts are consistent with later 520, 620, and even 720 trucks, so still available.  A lot of the engine bits are the same as the J13 engine found in the 520 and still available (like engine gaskets), though some are not and need to be found used or rebuilt originals.  I bought a truck that had been sitting for years also and plan to overhaul what sounds like most of the same stuff you would.  I am confident I will get mine on the road.  But parts availability is getting worse over time, not better. 

You asked whether this truck is worth it.  Only you can answer that, and it will depend on the price of the truck, how much you have to put into it to get it where you want it, and how much you would value what you'd end up with. 

Internal engine parts may be very difficult to find for the E-1 specifically, but if you have knowledge of the MG engine then you could probably tell us what can be easily swapped from those cars (Datsun was allowed to copy their design).

If you really can't get the E-1 to work, then there are more common engines that can be swapped into it.

Most brake parts and other mechanical parts can be easily purchased for cheap.  They may not be listed specifically on Autozone's computer or RockAuto, but if you order stuff for the 520/620, then it often bolts right (or with a bit of work).

It's the 320 specific parts that can be a real pain.  Interior bits and trim you're just going to have to hunt for on the forum or ebay.  Some stuff like the vent window rubbers are impossible to get, unless someone here manages to get them reproduced (doubtful, and very expensive if they do).  Windshields are not easy, but people have had them made. 

These are the best photos I can get at the time being, we've been getting nothing but snow these days in the Northeast. 

I believe this truck has almost all the original parts, including trim, but was partially dismantled five years ago by a couple teenagers for a "restoration" 

But, speaking to them on the phone, they know a bit about older cars, and evidently the engine can be turned by hand. 

Internal engine bits I can figure out, but in case I have to rip the head off and fiddle with the valves, I'd like to know if headgaskets are still available. 

I'll give it a good effort to get the original engine running. Worse case scenario, and depending on motor mount location, I have a bunch of Volvo B20b engines, and a spare race-spec 1100cc Austin healey engine bouncing around.

Old cars are my passion, reliability is a bonus, and speed should be worked towards. Plus, this truck will hopefully replace a pig of an F150 I've been using on and off for the past few years. The giant mid-80s behemoth style. If this is truly a 1/2 ton pickup in a small package, I think I found my new gofer mobile. 

Thanks again for all the help, I knew this was the right place to ask my questions!

Nissan says 1000kg!

http://www.nissan-global.com/EN/HERITAGE/datsuntruck1200deluxe.html

(They also say 'spacious interior' though....)

gasket sets:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Datsun-Pickup-320-520-Bluebird-410-411-Overhaul-Gasket-NOS-/151231533590?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item23361a1216&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Datsun-312-320-410-w-1189cc-1961-1965-New-Head-Gasket-Set-HS2A139-/310833512017?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item485f1efe51&vxp=mtr

I have no idea if those are good sellers, or good products.  I suspect that they could be still produced, due to the steady rate with which they appear on ebay.  (Sometimes sellers claim NOS, but they just get them straight from Nissan).  Who knows though, they may run out.

I don't know if it can be as much of a workhorse as an 80's F-150, but it should take whatever you can fit in the bed.  The bed is only 4'x6', so that does limit you a bit.   

I regularly load my bed completely full of wet firewood, and all kinds of other loads, and its never had a problem hauling it.  The front end can get a little light when all the weight is on the back, so that requires some extra care. 

The biggest problem with using these trucks as a workhorse is the attention they get, and that you'll get attached/guilted into taking the best care of it.  You get hounded by guys everywhere you go.  I mean its kind of fun, but after a while you just want to haul your load and fill up with gas without having to talk to somebody or explain the truck.

I still use my truck like a truck, but I won't take it out in winter at all when there's salt on the road.  That'd kill it in short time, and every guy I see would hate me for it.  It makes it tough when I can't haul stuff in winter time, and I have to pay guys to deliver firewood.  In a way it'd be better if I just had a true beater 4x4 truck for winter use.   

Usually I just pick up old bicycles, random furniture, light stuff. I used to have a GMC caballero and it suited me fine, I liked how the bed was only 20" off the ground. Sold it to buy some upgrades for my house. The F150 has a custom flatbed that's about 3' off the ground. It's a cool truck, and hella strong with the 300c.i. engine, but I'm tired of it and want it to go to someone who needs a cheap heavy-duty truck (previous owner interleaved F150 and Ford ranger springs in the rear) 

I drive a 1973 mg midget every day from Spring-Fall, I'm used to the looks and questions. and I don't mind it. I actually like when the car brings back memories of when they had one (or could fit in one) or that their dad had a bunch of british sports cars back in the day. Even though the car isn't perfect, lots of people never get out to car shows and it's nice for them to see a classic at the grocery parking lot. Plus, vintage cars/trucks are just neat, I don't own a vehicle younger than me. 

• Like 1

So, the guy selling it is in the process of moving, and can't take the truck with him. I have a slight idea of what the truck is worth if it ran, but what would you think is a good opening price for this truck?  I'm hoping for around $500, using the proceeds from selling my F150 to fund the fixing of the 320.

I did show a lot of interest in it, and $500 isn't bad. By the time I actually get to see the truck, it'll be a week or two before he moves in March. There is 2 feet of snow on the ground currently, and more than likely, the truck is hopelessly buried in the backyard. From talking to him tho, I think I am the only person who has shown any interest. I asked him what he wanted for it, and he didn't give me a price, just "not top dollar" but hopefully I can convince him that "top dollar" for a broken, rotted out, 50 year old import truck is maybe a few hundred over scrap. 

Hopefully everything works out, looking forward to creating a build thread here, possibly discovering a few new tricks using easily-sourced MG parts.