What easy engine swaps into a 520??

jaymac

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

J-series other than the 1300 are probably going to be hard to find in the US.  L-series and other common Datsun motors of the era just won't fit unless you're willing to cut up your firewall.  Buy another car to go fast and enjoy putting around in your 67hp 1300.

You can get an L20b in it, or even an LZ23, but it is tight, I'm talking about less than a quarter inch between the engine and the firewall, and the same quarter inch between the stock fan and the radiator.

I did it without cutting anything except a lip/seam on the upper firewall, and after I finished, I could have done it without cutting that seam/lip, barely.

You will also have to modify the heater core outlets or move the heater box, as there is not enough room between the engine and firewall for the hoses to come out in the stock places.

There is a guy locally that dropped a VG30 into his 320, if that can be done, then it will fit into a 520, but it took him a few years to get it done.

I would really like to find a bigger J-motor for my truck... but they are almost nonexistent in the US since they were never here.  However, I am told that they sometimes show up in forklifts... but that they're usually completely worn out because they have a zillion hours on them... otherwise they just stay in the forklift and run some more.

I think the problem with a full MG conversion would be transmission/gearing.  While the engine might be easy enough to fit, and fabbing whatever mounts are needed, you'd probably have to also use the MG transmission, so then you'd be re-engineering all the linkages, shifter, and then might have to worry about gearing (or maybe not, various MGs and the 520 are probably both of similar weight).  Just rambling.  Carry on.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 years later...

L16? yes. If the L16 is from a 521 or maybe the 620 because the truck oil pan is shaped to fit a truck. Car L16 oil pans won't work. You have to relocate the J13 engine mounts to the rear on the frame to fit the 1600. And it's a tight fit.

So I’m getting a lot of good info. Some are recommending the ka24e as an option, how much work would that take? 

I have a hot rod buddy out in California who’s begging me to let him drop an LS1 in it but I don’t know if that’s so absurd but it sounds fun. 

trying to be cost conscious here too. 

22 hours ago, TotallyWrecked said:

So I’m getting a lot of good info. Some are recommending the ka24e as an option, how much work would that take? 

I have a hot rod buddy out in California who’s begging me to let him drop an LS1 in it but I don’t know if that’s so absurd but it sounds fun. 

trying to be cost conscious here too. 

"Dropping" an LS in it will result in a sub-par job. To make it nice will take weeks of fabrication, wiring, plumbing...

I am in the business of building custom vehicles for paying clients and I feel that this kind of work is not only simple, but fun too. I do have empathy for guys who want more than they can afford and I always tell them that most of the work is just time, and if you have to pay for the time, then it's almost never worth it.

2 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

"Dropping" an LS in it will result in a sub-par job. To make it nice will take weeks of fabrication, wiring, plumbing...

I am in the business of building custom vehicles for paying clients and I feel that this kind of work is not only simple, but fun too. I do have empathy for guys who want more than they can afford and I always tell them that most of the work is just time, and if you have to pay for the time, then it's almost never worth it.

Oh apologies for verbiage. My buddy owns Wrong Era Customs which isn't too far from you. He does incredible work, and yes TIME, time is the pain and the benefit of these considerations. The pain, I am converting what was once an all original parts 520 into a Ratsun, but the j13 is trashed an L16 is going to have the same pain points as a bigger upgrade and if I'm going to basically spend the same money for a ka24e swap or an LS swap. I think it becomes what's going to be the most fun for the long term. 

and I'm blessed to have long chicago winters to build my patience, I figured if I wanted something done right it was going to take a year either way. 

but please this is exactly why I've taken to the forums here. I want to know, I want to make the best decision. 

• Like 1

If a KA swap and even more so for an LS the 520 brakes will not save you. They will need a massive up grade. In addition the differential is 4.875 so again that will need something in the 3.70 or lower. EFI will need a high pressure fuel pump and install a return line and all the electronics connected. The KA will also need the attached 5 speed, shortened drive shaft and modified transmission mount. 

L series four cylinders also include the L18 and the L20B. If going to L16 might as well build a 2 liter L20B. It's also carburetor so just some plumbing.

D21 Hardbody truck KAs can easily enough be converted to carburetor and an L20B distributor put on.

2 minutes ago, Icehouse said:

They are scary with the stock motor and king pin suspension.  

No shit.

• Haha 1
30 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

If a KA swap and even more so for an LS the 520 brakes will not save you. They will need a massive up grade. In addition the differential is 4.875 so again that will need something in the 3.70 or lower. EFI will need a high pressure fuel pump and install a return line and all the electronics connected. The KA will also need the attached 5 speed, shortened drive shaft and modified transmission mount. 

L series four cylinders also include the L18 and the L20B. If going to L16 might as well build a 2 liter L20B. It's also carburetor so just some plumbing.

D21 Hardbody truck KAs can easily enough be converted to carburetor and an L20B distributor put on.

No shit.

Had to add that, for those who haven't driven theirs yet.  I daily drove one while living in Seattle.  Few lots of close calls.  

Thanks everyone. So additional research yeilds the possibility of the 12a rotary as an option as well. and was reading about a 520 with a 302 in it that wasn't too painful apparently. 

The KA is still an interesting swap, especially with keeping it carbed. but I think I'm hearing the same points both ways?

both need major modifications to the differentials, firewall cutting, driveshafts, mounts, and brakes. 

Id like to avoid EFI alltogether.  
but , and I just want to reiterate, if the amount of work and time is almost the same, why choose one over the other?