My 1980 Datsun b310 210

dat521gatherer

So I got out my timing light and it looked like #4 wasn't firing. I looked under the cap and it was pretty bad so I replaced it last night. While I was in there I looked at the 4 magnet gaps and noticed that #4 was rubbing to the point that wearing down the post I have seen this before on electric dizzys. I took it off to un-seize  the magnet from the whatever you call it and basically destroyed it. When they are not stuck you can loosen the three screws and adjust it but not by much. This is what I ended up with.SANY5316_zps05054c44.jpg

Super glue does not work for gluing magnets back together especially when they are trying to push each other away. So I taped it up ratsun style. I dont suppose I can just buy that part from nissan. The tap worked.SANY5318_zps9adad27d.jpg

SANY5317_zps2cca8651.jpg

Trimmed.SANY5320_zpsc1b0a250.jpg

SANY5319_zps1201ccdd.jpg

Yeah I know it's about as sketchy as you've ever seen. But for now it works.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The wires are new. The plugs look like number 4 is fouled. The carb fuel level is super high. I cant find any vacuum leaks. It seems like it's hitting on all four but at this point it's hard to tell. It wont idle. There is a random puff/cloud of white smoke that comes out going down the road like spyhunters smoke screen then it's gone. I screwed in my compression tester and I got 145 145 168 125. That bothers me. The book says they should be 190 something. That seems high.

So i'm thinking a oil control problem. Blown head gasket or flooding out carb.

• Like 1

> The carb fuel level is super high.

You can adjust that now. No kit is required.

http://datsun1200.com/modules/mediawiki/index.php?title=Float_Level_Adjustment

> It wont idle.

Jack the idle up to 1500 rpm and kept driving it.

> look like number 4 is fouled ... There is a random puff/cloud of white smoke that comes out going down the road like spyhunters smoke screen then it's gone. I screwed in my compression tester and I got 145 145 168 125

Yep, #4 has a worn compression ring. Change the plug periodically until you are ready to re-ring the engine.

By the way, compression check doesn't test oil control rings, only compression and valves.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I picked this up last week and got a great deal. Thanks Christina. :D It's all original with 168,xxx miles. I put in a ad in the classifieds for some smalls but zero responses. Hopefully after a few of you read this I might get a few of you to point me towards some parts. More importantly I need to get it running right.SANY5195_zpse5353307.jpg

SANY5198_zpscf4850c9.jpg

SANY5243_zps214fdf28.jpg

SANY5262_zps5eb8d505.jpg

SANY5226_zps4ac1bbeb.jpg

that hood ornament is killin the game.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I'm a little behind on this thread. I have a kidney stone that's stuck at it sucks. So I went to put in a new float valve and taking off the carb was a pain cause you need to have 10 year old little girl hands to get to anything. In the end I took it all off and put a weber on it.SANY5658_zpsbe3c6050.jpg

SANY5666_zpse937ee91.jpg

SANY5668_zps254f9cf3.jpg

SANY5667_zps91409906.jpg

SANY5669_zps60267f50.jpg

SANY5670_zpse7fd1a58.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...