Windshield Replacement

Suntzuzuki

I have this haze on my windshield and it's making me crazy. I'm pretty sure its the material between the two layers of glass and the only solution is to replace the windshield. Any tips on this?

The windshield is also cracked so I'm thinking it might be time to replace it if possible. Are there good windshields and new gaskets readily available?

Thanks in advance,

Nick

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hahaha, so newbs are bothered by this and old-timers have learned to not give a damn! I guess I'll just deal.

Yeah I have noticed some leaking as well, traced it from the floorboards to the corners of the windshield. I was just going to run some gasket sealer along the windshield if replacing it was not really an option. Which it sounds like it isn't.

So stunt man i have the so called haze on my green over priced truck as well,it is the plastic lining in the windsheild,now as for getting another one i have heard of shops cutting down other windsheilds from i think it was dodge caravan of all things,Wayno can chime in anytime and help us out,Just so you know its not impossible to get a new one but it will cost you more then a 2 dollar bill thats for sure.

Wayno, on the Ratsun forum has a few 521 windshield gaskets.  But not many. 

I have one of his gaskets, in one of my project trucks.  It workss good, and does not seem to leak, but I park my Datsun 521 under cover, and it has been a really dry winter in Oregon so far.  My glass guy noticed the winsdshield is hazy, like yours, and he put the windshield in withouit any sealer, so when I get as better windshield, we can reuse the gasket.

Before you put a new windshield, or gasket in a truck, or car, you need to take the new or new to that vehicle windshield, and set it in the opening, and center it, by setting it on small pieces of broken popsicle sticks.  Center it top and bottom, side to side, and then work around the windshield flange in the cab, to get it at the same even height all the way around, paying attention especially to the corners.  The better this fit, the better the gasket will seal.  The better this fit, the easier it will be to get the gasket and glass in.  Also go around the windshield opening flange, and sand down any sharp edges.  This will also help the gasket slip in.

• Like 1

Yea I have a few gaskets left(PM me if you want one), sadly there was someone selling 520/521 windshields a while back on ebay, it auction is gone now, maybe it will come back.

They are not cheap, I had a bunch of 320 windshields cut a while back, and since I was heading down there I had the guy cut one for my 520 also, which is the same as the 521, it still cost me $400.00, but there is nothing like a new windshield.

Something to keep in mind here, you might find a new one for $250.00 on ebay, but it still is going to cost money to have it shipped, so me paying that much for a windshield is not out of line when it is handed to me in one piece.

• Like 2

Key thing is planning routes so you're never driving into the sun.  This can involve a lot of extra mileage and time.  For example - you need to go west as sunset approaches, but glare is impossible:  Turn and drive south for 1 hour or until sun sets, then turn back and complete journey.  Genius.

Wayno - When you approach a glass place to cut a windshield, how do you specify it?  Do they already have specs on file or something?

• Like 1

Key thing is planning routes so you're never driving into the sun.  This can involve a lot of extra mileage and time.  For example - you need to go west as sunset approaches, but glare is impossible:  Turn and drive south for 1 hour or until sun sets, then turn back and complete journey.  Genius.

Wayno - When you approach a glass place to cut a windshield, how do you specify it?  Do they already have specs on file or something?

You have to find someone that is willing to cut curved glass in the first place, and if they do cut it, they likely know what they need, or they will search their warehouse till they find one with the correct curve.

There is a guy in CA that already knows what is needed for the 320/520/521, but he is not cheap.

Ha! Shit shipping a window seems it might be a lot . Well I know of two of them. Would need to take it from the junkyard truck.

Im pretty damn sure they aren't beat up. I'll try to get some pictures and ask the guy what he wants for it..

It cost me about $150.00 in packaging and shipping to ship 320 windows via UPS, and none of them got damaged, I shipped 10-12 of them.

521 windshields are bigger and heavier, so they will cost even more to ship.

So I will be taking an old 521 windshield down to Ross this week as a sample... Ross has a producer who will be doing a small run of Roadster, 320, and now 521 windshields... Ross has had roadster glass produced before and is very confident in the standards and quality ... 6 or 7 mm glass checked for flaws. And the prices in the past have been fair, and he operates out of BC and Washington state.

Ross will be doing a minimum run on the 521 glass. so if you want one or two, i suggest you email him... info@sportsimports.ca    he has no idea of the need out there, so pipe up If you want in. 

Ross will be doing a minimum run on the 521 glass. so if you want one or two, i suggest you email him... info@sportsimports.ca he has no idea of the need out there, so pipe up If you want in.

why dont he make a batch of ten then see who fast it goes??????????put on internet ect.....

Like I said mine was made in Australia and I dont think they have 521s there

Ross will be doing a minimum run on the 521 glass. so if you want one or two, i suggest you email him... info@sportsimports.ca he has no idea of the need out there, so pipe up If you want in.

why dont he make a batch of ten then see who fast it goes??????????put on internet ect.....

Like I said mine was made in Australia and I dont think they have 521s there

they dont have 521's there.your kidding right.

• Like 1