More affordable disc and CV upgrade for a 610?

datsunfreak

Stock 610 crossmember, 280ZX control arms/brakes/diff. 

1533890_10203256614995644_1290192979_n.j

Adds 1.2" per side to the track width, still can fit a 14x9 -25...

Before:

1012555_10203253974049622_1598434238_n.j

After:

1521454_10203549138028537_610473981_n.jp

Obviously requires changing to coilover shocks, but those can also be done on a budget, so...

Just thought you'd like to know...

• Like 7
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i want to see some alignment measurements to make sure the tow is the same 

It's the same. It seriously is. Toe and camber are identical to the stock arms.

This has been a known trick in the 510 community for quite some time. We decided to try it on a 610 for a goof and it works even better than it does on a 510. 

• Like 1

This is obscene. I LOVE IT!

I only wish I didn't have so much in my sedan (new parts, etc.) and I would be happy to do this.

Now, the $64,000 question: If the 280ZX E-Brake cables can be used, why not use them on 610s with the (other) disc brake upgrade?

i would consider doing this when i get to the point of needing rear brakes but i would need to find a donor and i would need to make sure all the measurements line up but then again i could just slot the x memeber and be done 

I just acquired a 73 610 a few months back. And looking for a zx for a complete suspension , front and rear . To do the same. Looks great on there. I am going to pick up flares for my build . Not so worried about the added track with. Thanks for the pics and info.

Now, the $64,000 question: If the 280ZX E-Brake cables can be used, why not use them on 610s with the (other) disc brake upgrade?

If the "other disc brake upgrade" you mention uses the same style caliper, and mounts it in the same spot, I don't see why you couldn't? 

I have heard that on a really low car the cable bracket on the back side of the caliper can hit the pinch weld on the inner fender on a hard bump, so you'd want to double check that. Obviously widening the track slightly does away with this problem. 

If the "other disc brake upgrade" you mention uses the same style caliper, and mounts it in the same spot, I don't see why you couldn't? 

I have heard that on a really low car the cable bracket on the back side of the caliper can hit the pinch weld on the inner fender on a hard bump, so you'd want to double check that. Obviously widening the track slightly does away with this problem. 

I have the brackets that Compression sells, '81 200SX rotors, and '87 Maxima calipers with pads. I would like to have my emergency brake back and this may be the best way to do that.

Are the shock mounts in the same position? 

They are in the same general area, but about 2.5" higher up on the car.

So you could use 610 rear coil overs that you can get from ground control?

If you only want to lower the car 2" or less, yes. If you want 3" or more, no. You'll need shorter stroke shocks than any of the available off-the-shelf kits have in them. 

That's the main reason for the "build your own" recommendation. Obviously if you can weld you can make new shock mounts lower down, but shorter shocks are a much easier fix. 

Unfortunately, my friend already bought the T3 coilover kit even when I told him no to.   :rofl:

The above pic shows you the limit of how low you can go with T3 coilovers. 

Suspect the crossmember would be off limits, is it ?

280ZX crossmember can be used, and would allow better exhaust routing (not as tall and doesn't encapsulate the diff nose), but would require welding/fab. 

As you can see, it's not as wide as the 510/610 crossmember. You'd need to cut off the mounting ears and relocate them further out. 

1551591_10203206608545514_1265248321_n.j

610 crossmember for comparison...

1619572_10203256614515632_675242382_n.jp

• Like 1

It appears that the 610 crossmember with the 280ZX arms is the best plan of attack.

Admittedly, I am a bit jealous, but, then again, I have all new bushings and love the way may car is. 

• Like 1