New User, New Truck

cooprasupra

Recently picked up this lil guy for $700. User glorydime and I will be getting it going together. The guy we got it from had it sitting for about 5 years. He seemed to think it was a lost cause but we thought that he just was not mechanically inclined. As soon as I got it home I changed out the spark plugs, ran new spark plug wires, and changed the oil and she fired right up. However the biggest issue I am facing is the carb is currently leaking, there seems to be a pretty big chip in the glass viewing window on the carb and gas leaks out of that. I plan on eventually putting in a Weber but until then if anybody has any sort of suggestion what to do with that glass piece to stop the leak. Luckily since it is a Texas truck it seems really free of rust. Also it has very detailed documentation which indicates that the truck was originally from California.

JdlW4bn.jpg

IJrpIaE.jpg

• Like 3
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome aboard. :)

You could cut up a piece of plexiglass or lexan to replace the glass temporarily. Can't remember which is best for chemicals so you might have to do a bit of research on that.

Thanks!

Lexan sounds like a pretty good idea, completely forgot about that stuff. Was even considering getting a piece of aluminum cut out that would replace the glass. Good or bad idea?

Aluminum would defeat the purpose of the glass imo, but if you feel confident that the bowl isn't leaking from anywhere else you could do that. I would do as redeye suggested an temporarily get some form of plexi/lexan so that you can still see the bowl level. However, I would also get a weber or good hitachi ASAP

I have like 2 or 3 of the hitachi glass laying around. You can have pay for shipping.

That would be very much appreciated, will pm for details. 

Thanks everyone for the kind words, will try to post up some more pics tonight especially of the interior which is pretty mint!  B)

• Like 1

Got some more pics, cab is pretty nice besides a ton of leaves.

2XZWJgE.jpg

u4MIdpo.jpg

A bit dirty in here but everything seems to run pretty well.

8xuNV1D.jpg

Bed liner which I am not particularly fond of.

8JfpXEm.jpg

Unfortunately the steering wheel is missing some parts and it is lacking the steering column cover.

gee4KZB.jpg

Interesting horn placement to the top left of the radio.

GbsjYtW.jpg

90sGxrh.jpg

Top priorities at the moment are new battery, fix/replace carb, and a complete brake overhaul.

• 5 months later...

Well after way too much time I am finally getting this rolling. I just picked up a Weber 32/36 DGEV which I plan on getting all set up this weekend. Is there anything I should be looking out for during the install? I will have help from golrydime and am pretty confident we will have no issues especially looking at some installs from Google. 

Now my main question is about removing the smog pump and all smog related items. My 521 shop manual does not really give me too much info about removing it. 

E20KTHS_zps9f0e710c.png

In this image I am assuming that the red part is one of the things that I will be ripping off as well as the blower. Is there anything that I will need to plug up after unbolting everything? Having a little trouble finding specific info related to this by searching.

Nice score. She's the same color as mine. As for the Rhino lining, not sure there because that stuff really doesn't like to come off. If the bed is rusty and thin, you may not want to put any tools on it. Not sure if media blast would get through it either. Welcome to the house!!

Sweet find.   If you do not have to worry about emissions testing where you live remove it all.  Be sure and keep the PCV valve and the vent on the valve cover.  Keep all parts you take off incase you sell it and the new owner needs the emission stuff.