69 4door 510 in Maine

housew

Got the wheel off last night and rolled one fender. Actually opened up a good amount of space in there.

found some specs on my wheels. They are 14x6+12 and were run with a 1/4" spacer making them essentially +6 offset. Seems to be plenty of space in there so im thinking I can get away with an __x7+0 in the front. Does that mean I don't have 200sx struts?

rolling the one fender I did was super easy, going to do the other 3 over the next couple days. I don't have a lot of time to work on it since the wife is nesting and my honey do list is enormous.

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

it sure does. The car is also pretty low, the struts have not been cut, and there isn't a bump steer spacer (which I thought was necessary to bolt up the steering arm to the 200sx struts.

also the caliper looks VERY much like a 280z (not a 280zx) caliper. It has a single large piston  per side (one on the inside and one on the outside), and my rotor is not vented. Anyone know if the 280z brakes bolt up to the 280zx struts? 

The PO said it had 200sx struts and brakes with heated springs, but its not looking like it matches up with what i'm seeing. I wish I could post pics but I can't get them off my camera at work.

still absolutely no clue how to post a picture on ratsun from photobucket. the image thing freezes my browser, I cant paste anything, and if I paste it in the BBCode mode it just doesn't show up.

if you link to the pics above though, does that looks like a 280z caliper on a 280zx strut?

so were thinking that's a 280z brake upgrade on 200sx struts?

The 2x larger opposed pistons should have more mechanical advantage than the 2x smaller pistons on one side that the normal 200sx calipers have.

I also half rolled one rear fender last night. There is a LOT more space than I thought in there. I'm currently running 155/55/r14 on 14x6+12 with no spacer. By my math to run 205/45/r16 on 16x8+12 I would simply need 1.3 in radius all around the tire, and 1" to the inside and 1" to the outside. By my measurements I should be able to run that setup without a problem. Could probably even get away with 16x9+37 or so since there seems to be a decent amount of space to the inside, but that would be too close.

I'm still worried about the front. my 14x6+12 with a 6.4mm spacer is essentially a 14x6+5.6 and I have about 5/8 of clearance to the fender. A 15x7+0 would stick out 17.6mm farther = which would be about 2mm outside of the inner lip of the fender (but not outside the outside lip). I'll have to measure more, but im pretty sure I won't be tucking any rim above the fender line in the front no matter how low I go, so it might not be an issue as long as my tires are slightly stretched (I was thinking 195/50r16 if that will even stretch at all)

more measuring to come, but im leaning towards diamond racing wheels, street series and Dunlop dz101 tires. 16x8+12 w/ 205/45/r16 rear and 16x7+0 w/ 195/50/r16 front.

I might be over thinking this, I just want to get it right the first time :P

ordered up a gauge panel, not so original but I hope it work out well (more info on that to come)

and a steering wheel hub from Singapore. According to the seller it should be here some time in 2014 (he said it would take something stupid like 25 business days) so i'll be ready for that when it shows up. My old wheel comes off easily so i'm not worried about that.

going to do some flex tests in the near future and see what clearances I have with the front tire stuffed, then decide if 15x7+0 is fine with what I believe to be 280zx struts and order em up if so.

rota RBs or diamond racing steelies with d-windows?

I can get either in the sizes I want just cant decide which look I like better.

Pros and cons in no particular order.

The steelies are $40 cheaper

The steelies have more clearance on the inside

The rotas are VERY mainstream for 70 jap cars, seems like most have them. Making my car more cookie cutter, but potentially enhancing the retail of the the wheels / car, although I don’t plan on selling it ever

Steelies are more robust (ie if I hit a pothole with low profile tires, I can just bend it back)

The rotas are 1 lb lighter

Steelies are more available. –They are custom made so if I wreck a wheel, I can get another one NP. The rotas are in a specific size so finding one may be a bear

Rotas would show up quicker (since they already exsist, and don’t need to be made)

Steelies are made out west in the us by merikan welders, rotas are made in the phillipines probably by children

what do yall think? I'd post pics but for the life of me I can't figure out how on ratsun. Every other forum, no problem.

Reading what you posted it seem like a no brainer & that your decision is made.

For posting pics: http://community.ratsun.net/topic/691-how-to-post-pictures-and-keep-online-photo-albums/

This is how I do it from my phone: How to post pics online

Download the mobile Photobucket app. To place a picture in your photobucket account (in the app) select "upload media". Then camera roll. Select the picture you want in your photo bucket account and it will revert back to the photo bucket app. Move the picture to the desired file in your photo bucket account if you have multiple files. If you don't do this now and you post the picture and move it later, it will break the link and will have to be redone.

Have a window in safari/web browser opened with Ratsun pulled up. Press the home button to go to your app screen. Then tap the PB app. Go to "my albums" and then the desired folder. Tap the picture you want to post. In the bottom right corner there is a circle with an "i" in it, tap that. It will bring up 4 link codes. Tap the bottom one (the IMG code). It will say "IMG copied". Press the home button again and open Ratsun in safari back up. Double tap in the reply box at the bottom of the page (in the correct thread) and tap "paste". All you see is the image code but when you tap "post" your picture will appear. You can also add text just don't screw with the IMG code.

Sorry for the long post, hope it helps.

yea, im leaning towards steelies pretty hard :P

but the benefits of the rotas shouldn't be ignored. Better looking to some people, lighter, available faster, easier to sell later, and not much more money.

just seeing what everyone thought

went ahead and ordered the diamond racing steelies, they said I should have them in 2 weeks :)

not bad considering they need to weld them up, powder coat them, package them, and ups has to drive them across the country.

• Like 1

got the gauge panel in the mail.

went with an intelltronic 6 gauge digital panel since its the same shape as the stock 69 cluster. Came with all the sending units so I can actually know what's going on with the car. I don't expect to install it in an hour and fully expect it to be a bear to add the sending units. But the end result should be pretty cool.

http://www.intellitronix.com/5-gauge-panel.html

gives me oil pressure, water temp, configureable speedo (I can adjust it so it reads right with different gears / tires), odometer, right and left flasher indicator. The biggest problem is going to be installing the sending units because I don't want to replace the stock ones since im pretty sure the ecu uses them. I MIGHT be able to get the info I need from the ECU though. Either way if I need to add a sandwich plate to my oil filter or something that can be done.

they had a 6 gauge with a tach that I wanted, but it was wider than I could fit without hacking too much. So Id like to run a small boost gauge where the clock should be (going to be a tough fit) and a steering column mounted tach. I'm just scarred of wiring the tach with the motor swap since its Coil on plug and I don't want to buy the $90 adaptor. Theres mixed info on how to get that info from the ECU as well.

received my steering hub adaptor from Singapore. Its just the boss kit but it looks pretty quality. I got the horn button installed in my wheel and everything lined up.

im going to try to get the gauge cluster out before I put the new wheel on, but I need to do some digging / research on how that comes out. I don't want to break anything.

Nice find!!

More oics dude......

If you open this link............VV

Over to the right there's a box labeled "Links to share this photo"...........

There are four links in the box.......

The bottom one is labeled "IMG"...........

Hover over the link with your mouse and click.......it'll turn yellow for a sec and display "copied"

Click back over to Ratsun and paste........

914_autocross_zpsd99e56d4.jpg

.......seems easy

Can't do a build thread with no pics.......unacceptable..........I expect the next four pages to be just pictures.....no words :D

Carry on.....

• Like 1

busta, this is what I get when I do said steps...
might be a browser problem here at work, but im not allowed to do anything about it :angel:

%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i1360.photobucket.com/albums/r648/willhouse207/914_autocross_zpsd99e56d4.jpg

believe me, I have plenty of pics I'd love to post up. Maybe not 4 pages, but I could take more to fill em up haha