69 4door 510 in Maine

housew

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

so insurance guy said i'm covered. Need to get some quotes (if anyone would fix it) and see if its a total loss or not.

if its totaled i'll have a buy back option if I wanted to build up another shell. we shall see....either way it should be better than going at it alone.

on to the pics. Hurts to look. I can't believe this happened under no power, I'm guessing 10ish mph? and only its own weight. remind me to NEVER get rear-ended in a 510

like a turtle
DSC_0188_zps3c81ea7c.jpg

DSC_0194_zpsf22dba98.jpg

DSC_0199_zpsf25acb16.jpg

hit the tree deal center and saved my tail lights for the most part.

DSC_0201_zps1e593f37.jpg

little dimple in the 1/4 panel from taking the hit, might pull out when its not in compression any more.
DSC_0203_zps31f235db.jpg

That absolutely sucks man :( Sad to see this happen to an East Coast car. I watch you thread almost daily to keep with the updates (since I'm in Maine too). I'm currently looking to buy another members 510 (in Michigan) so if insurance doesn't pull through and you get Dave's shell then I may be interested in some patch panels, depending what how this ordeal works out.

Boy does that suck!

But Hell Yes that can certainly be auto-crossed!

I'll get you some pictures of the shell. It has bubble flares, but I think the rears were installed over the OE sheet metal and not cut away. I'm about 2.5 hours away from you so it wouldn't be a big deal to come and get it.

Who said Pine was a "soft"wood?

so insurance guy said i'm covered. Need to get some quotes (if anyone would fix it) and see if its a total loss or not.

if its totaled i'll have a buy back option if I wanted to build up another shell. we shall see....either way it should be better than going at it alone.

on to the pics. Hurts to look. I can't believe this happened under no power, I'm guessing 10ish mph? and only its own weight. remind me to NEVER get rear-ended in a 510

like a turtle

DSC_0188_zps3c81ea7c.jpg

DSC_0194_zpsf22dba98.jpg

DSC_0199_zpsf25acb16.jpg

hit the tree deal center and saved my tail lights for the most part.

DSC_0201_zps1e593f37.jpg

little dimple in the 1/4 panel from taking the hit, might pull out when its not in compression any more.

DSC_0203_zps31f235db.jpg

That can be fixed man

i'm hoping so. I would way rather have a dime then a check, but this stupid day job is getting in the way of me making the calls.

The shell swap is indeed intriguing and i would end up with a much cleaner whip after a lot more money and work, but letting my insurance pay someone to fix it for me is a lot easier (provided they can fix it), and there's nothing else glaringly wrong with it that makes me want to start over. Either way i should end up alright, im not afraid of a little time or money, i just don't have a lot of either.

I looking at it i'm thinking tail light panel, rear valance, trunk lid and a rear bumper and ill be in pretty good shape. Rear center portion of trunk floor is a little crimpled, but it can probably be beat out fairly easily.

• Like 1

met up with a guy at a body shop last night. He going to write me up an estimate but i think its going to be right on the edge of what insurance will pay. I'll get the estimate after work, talk to my insurance guy, and see what options i really have.

1) get car fixed.

2) car gets totaled, i buy it back and fix it

3) car gets totaled, i buy it back, buy shell, paint shell, swap stuff over, bunch of new seals ect

well see

Damn sorry to hear about that %^&*()+. That is totally fix able and Dave "Futofab" has those parts too. His flared 4-door is awesome and in damn good shape. I've seen it, heck I went with him into Mass to pick it up. I used to own that 510 and sold it to the guy who Dave eventually purchased it from. I think your 510 can be fixed by anyone with a mechanical aptitude if you asked me. Only issue I can see is pushing the rear quarters back out to properly fit and seal the trunk lid, fixing the trunks floor pan and wrinkles from the qt panels. I'd cut that f'kn tree down and use as fire wood and widdle me a shift knob. Oh as far as windshields I got my 2 from

ProSource Glass

Andover, Ma

toll free: 877 345-2800

978 975-5400

They are the chinese windshields every one says are shit but I've had mine on since `97 with 14 runs to Summit Point WV and multiple runs to NC and one to Road Atlanta and it's still in pretty good shape and no it doesn't leak<---one of the complaints about the shield because it is thinner than OEM. If your going to run up to Dave's at anytime let me know and I'll run up there also so we can all meet you and hang a bit.

Lou

Boy does that suck!

But Hell Yes that can certainly be auto-crossed!

I'll get you some pictures of the shell. It has bubble flares, but I think the rears were installed over the OE sheet metal and not cut away. I'm about 2.5 hours away from you so it wouldn't be a big deal to come and get it.

Who said Pine was a "soft"wood?

Dave the guy who did those flares did do some cutting away. Not like you would for those flares on a 2-door but some. There a build thread on the Realm though I can remember it name. I'll look and get back to youz all.

Lou "Slow day in the Nuclear field,,,,,shit spoke to soon #$%!@"

thanks lou. I found out the wind sheild isn't really hard to come by at all, but its kinda down on my priority list right now :(

I need to figure out the title thing too. If i can't find a shop to fix it for the $ insurance is willing to pay, it will be totaled and I will buy it back (for the drivetrain and interior). If i then fix it, a normal car would get a rebuilt title, but since maine refuses to issue titles to anything over 25 years old, i still wouldn't have a title. I would assume no title means no rebuilt title but i just want to make sure i would be able to drive it legally again. Nobody i asks seems to have a clue. I'm trying to try the dmv today (stupid day job)

Will,

Here in NH they only require titles on cars up to 15 years old. A bill of sale is all that is needed for a transfer of ownership on older cars and it doesn't even need to be notarized. 

When you go to register a non-title car in NH you have to present the town clerk with an authentication certificate that states the car's VIN is indeed the one on the bill of sale and the bill of sale. That authentication document needs to be signed by a NH licensed MV inspector or policeman. They need to physically inspect the vehicle to make the verification. This step isn't too tough depending on who you know, but the logistics of getting an unregistered car to the inspection can be a PITA.

There are ways around the authentication certificate, like if you have in-hand an old registration or title from the prior owner, then the certification isn't required. Also NH will issue titles for antique vehicles (over 25 years) but they are not required for registration. That title will also waive the VIN certification process.

The shell I have has a title from the State of Massachusetts showing the prior owner's name. VIN tags are all intact and I have the dash frame w/VIN tag on it that can go with the car.

Transfer of ownership in New England isn't a huge deal on non-title vehicles, but there can be some extra steps to complete the process. 

yea, according my my local town office (bmv branch) i need not worry about a salvage or rebuilt title. Just as they don't issue titles to cars over 25 years old, they don't issue salvage or rebuilt titles for them either.

registering a car in maine is even easier. Bill of sale only, no one even needs to see the car.

awesome lou,

I'll give that a through reading. Problem is it will probably convince me to buy it, then i'll have a long road ahead of me. MIGHT be done by spring :P

Might be :w00t: Fixing it may be faster and you can get those quality parts from Futofab with insurance $$$$$$,,,damn why'd you have to live so far away? we could have it fixed in a month + an 18 pack :thumbup:

Yes, i think fixing it would be faster.

I read through it. Those flairs were done right and they are there to stay, problem is i really don't like them much :blush:

they are a non-bre bubble flair which would kinda force my hand into buying the "NON-BRE FLAIRED FRONT FENDERS" from classic datsun motorsports (which i also don't really like) for $275 each and i already know the fitment on them is bad per pauls thread and i would have LOT of wheel fitment to do afterwards to get it as flush as i like (if even possible with those flairs). I also don't 100% agree with gluing in patch panels. Maybe i'm old school, i just like my metal joined by melting. That tub has a LOT of body work done to it though. Its been a few years, but its a lot close to ready to paint than my whip. Probably all the time i'd spend swapping stuff on to this shell could be spent making mine ready for paint so its still nowhere near a bad deal.

but i still think i'd rather fix mine, even if i do end up doing it myself. Might just start by getting the the car off its wheels and nice and level, remove trunk lid, remove tail light panel and rear valance, and see if anything else is beyond repair. If it looks good order up a tail light panel and see if it fits easily (worth a $250 try before buying a shell)

I get my repair quote in a couple hours. The insurance guy said hes 90% sure it will be totaled just from the pics, so hes getting a buy back quote from their salvage department that i'll get monday. So seeing as this is about all i can think about, i should have a plan on monday, even if my plan is as lame as collect a check and try to fix mine slow and solo with new parts.

yea, im thinking i will. Either have the body man do it quicker and more expensive, or i just take the money, buy parts and do do a bunch of work myself. Lots of thinking.

I'm still waiting on the quote but if the body many does it its going to be done right, quickly (in comparison to me doing it) and the paint will be blended in, im guessing it will take all of the insurance money (maybe a little less, maybe a little more)

If i do it myself im thinking:

futofab carbon fiber deck lid $670

futofab taillight panel $255

futofab rear valance $190 (guess at price when available)

futofab carbon fiber rear bumper $340

ebay tail light lens $50

paint ~$1500 (guestimate if i do it myself)

so ~3000 if i do the work myself to fix accident damage.

should have in the realm of 2k to fix other things (will want to do most during paint anyways).

$250 new wind-sheild shipped.

$80 front windsheld gasket

$140 rear windsheild gasket

$120 new headliner

$230 futofab carbon fiber spook

$850ish rear cv axles

leaves me $300ish for additional seals. doors, windows, trunk lid ect. I won't be able to do everything, but i'll get a lot more than if the body man

so if i do it myself my car gets a LOT of new stuff that i want to do in the near future anyways, but it will take a LOT longer, and probably won't come out as good as if the body man did it. I figgure new paint on the front half, windsheild fixed, a headliner, and CVs is worth a LOT to me.  I'm not afraid of spending a little of my own money either to get everything i want / need.

still a toss up though. I think its coming back to life either way.