69 4door 510 in Maine

housew

hey all,

I'm new to the forum from maine, always a nissan/datsun fan. Currently have a couple z's and just got  my first 510 last night. Just figured i'd say Hi, and make a place for me to keep track of my progress (if any)

I have wanted a 510 since the first time i saw a picture of on in highschool. I also have always wanted an sr20det powered s13 with a silvia front end on it (gorgeous in my mind) BUT i figured since i already have too many cars, a sr20det powered 510 would fit the bill about perfect, and i think im in love.

Car is an early 1970 with all the 1968/9 features. The best way i can think to tell about it is from the PO's sales ad, since at this moment thats where i've gotten all my information.

Suspension/Brakes:
1980 200SX front struts & brakes(heated springs)
S13 4 lug rear disc setup w/ Krecs bracket
Datsun Z 7/8 brake master cylinder
3rd generation Chevrolet Camaro rear shocks with a custom built rear coilover adapter
Rear drill slotted 240sx rotors
14x6 old school Almex mesh wheels w/ Advan center caps
10mm rear spacer
Volk Racing Formula lug nuts

Body/Interior:
Solex door & trunk locks
Wood grain shift knob
71Dimer Carpet kit
Relocated battery to trunk in a battery box
Painted engine bay
Honda Civic EG center console & armrest
Type R style shift boot
Original glass all around
S13 240sx gas pedal and throttle cable

Engine/Performance:
S13 Redtop SR20DET
Wiring Specialties S13 SR20DET PRO Universal/Race Tucked Harness
Short shifter
2.5 inch catless exhaust
Champion aluminum radiator
8 inch radiator fan
2.5 inch Buddy Club Spec2 exhaust
ISIS turbo elbow
Greddy BOV(its real. not a replica)
FMIC
2.5 inch Intercooler piping
5/16 Fuel lines
AEM Fuel Pressure Regulator 25-303
Walbro 255 external fuel pump
T25 Turbo

my imageshack is on the fritz so i can't post pics atm, but im pretty amped up about the car. It has some issues  nothing major and nothing i'd consider bad for a 44 year old car. Coupla dents here and there, a little rot behind the rear passenger side tire, headliner in the rear, rear deck needs to be wrapped ect. But it can and will be driven :)

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The car is blue.

wildmaninid, i searched for maine when i signed up on ratsun (last week) and came across your thread. Good stuff.

I'm in gray, work in auburn during the week and spend a lot of weekends down in Mass

car is a little rough around the edges, trying to figure out if im man enough to rock it ratty or if im going to do / get the body work done. Its pretty solid but ther paint isn't awesome, theres a rust spot i want to take care of, coupla dents ect. I think i may leave it as is for a while and get some miles on it :)

I drive / have driven a lot of cars, and the general reaction to this datsun is rediculous. People LOVE these things. I've talked to ~10 stranges about it and i haven't even taken it off the trailer yet :P

I will post some pics

• Like 1

Yeah, people go nuts here.  Every time I drive mine I have people flagging me to roll my window down at lights and stop signs.  Last summer, Stephen King said "Nice little Datsun" when I stopped at the intersection right near his house lol.  I could have sold it a dozen times over anyhow. 

Maybe a Datsun meet would be good?  I put mine in the Bangor car show last summer, it would be nice to have another Datto there.

Anyhow, best of luck.  I am still looking for someone to help me with finishing the body work (I painted the bay when I did my KA swap, also did the fenders etc).  Everyone here just does either shitty rust repair work or insurance work only.  

yea, it was down in NJ. My friend went and got the car for me so i didn't meet the previous owner, but he was super nice on the phone, very upfront about the car, and my friend had nothing but good things to say about him.

car is nice!. I got it off the trailer, got it warmed up to put it in my storage unit and it was a not go cause its SOOOO low :rofl: 
BUT i put a couple miles on it just driving back and fourth in the parking lot, getting a feel for it and how brutally fast it is. Its pretty loud too but that doesn't bother me one bit. I got some ramps and put it in there for now, but im thinking im going to get it registered soon and drive it on some nice dry days.

pretty amped up with the 4 door too, plenty roomy in there for such a small car. Although i may go to a slightly smaller (13") steering wheel for a little added gut clearance. I had no problem turning the wheel even at a stop so i could get away with less leverage too.

im usually super busy in the summers (work full time, work some weekends, DH biking, boating, offroading trips, autocross ect) but im ALWAYS down for some car shows when i can squeese them in. I need to find more cruse nights :thumbup:

i'll do a search too, but what is this spec510 event i keep hearing about? Where / what is it?

SPEC510 Meet - Summit Point East Coast 510 Meet. We have been holding east coast 510 meets at Summit point for over 17 years. 

Check out our website: www.eastcoastdatsun510.com

Lots of pics of previous events.

This years event (18th Year) will be held May  16-18 at Summit Point Raceway - Summit Point Motorsports Park. The meet is held during the Brian Redman's Jefferson 500 Vintage Car Races.

VRG and Summit Point have websites with more info.

VRG (Vintage Racing Group) www.vrgonline.org

Summit Point http://summitpoint-raceway.com/programs/jefferson-500/

I hope you can join us.

thanks for the info. looks to be 9.5 hours away from me. Having logged ~1/2 hour seat time in the 510 i don't know if that 9.5hrs sounds awesome or like it will hurt my bottom haha, I'd definitely love to make it out, but i know the 16/18 of may won't work for me this year. If all goes well i will have a very new newborn then.

does sound like it would be a good time though.

Congrats on scoring a clean Dime man. I have a SR 510 and totally agree, it's a REALLY fun toy in dead.

Very interesting set up on the intake side of your motor though. On US spec (left hand drive) SR swapped 510s, they usually have a top mount exhaust manifold and turbo setup, because the stock turbo configuration points the down pipe right into the steering box.  I've never seen a SR swap with the stock bottom mount turbo manifold, so I'm really curious how the P.O./builder managed to pull that one off. Do you know what's the story is on that?

Congrats on scoring a clean Dime man. I have a SR 510 and totally agree, it's a REALLY fun toy in dead.

Very interesting set up on the intake side of your motor though. On US spec (left hand drive) SR swapped 510s, they usually have a top mount exhaust manifold and turbo setup, because the stock turbo configuration points the down pipe right into the steering box.  I've never seen a SR swap with the stock bottom mount turbo manifold, so I'm really curious how the P.O./builder managed to pull that one off. Do you know what's the story is on that?

If you look closely, you can see that the stock steering box is no longer there. They must have converted to R&P steering. This would give the needed room for the lower mounted turbo. My buddy Vince did this with his SR20DET powered dime.

I know it is the stock manifold, i don't know what the deal is with the steering, i'll have to take a gander and see if its R&P or if the box was moved, or whats up. I'm curious myself. I remember the PO saying something about it, but i owe him a call for other questions so i'll ask when i have him on the line.

It is currently running 14s with 155/55-r14. I would love to step up to some 195/50r15s on 15x7s but i need to spend some time with a tape measure and see if i can make them fit.

I haven't visited that car since to check out the steering, but i got it registered today. Thats a step i the right direction. BUT we got 8" of snow and the roads are coated in liquid salt schmegma so i'll leave it parked till it dries up a bit.

I know it is the stock manifold, i don't know what the deal is with the steering, i'll have to take a gander and see if its R&P or if the box was moved, or whats up. I'm curious myself. I remember the PO saying something about it, but i owe him a call for other questions so i'll ask when i have him on the line.

It is currently running 14s with 155/55-r14. I would love to step up to some 195/50r15s on 15x7s but i need to spend some time with a tape measure and see if i can make them fit.

A 195/50-15 on a 15x6 +24 will fit great on a 4 door. I know guys do it all the time, but 7" of rim is more width than most 195/50 tire manufacturers will recommend.

thanks dime dave. I was hoping to run a 205/50-r15 on a 15x7 with 0 offset. I don't know if thats feasable, but thats where i wanted to be. 205/50-r15s are super easy to some by (at least for me) since most of the miatas i play autocross with run them, and i run em on my 914. 

seems most numbers i've heard for the offset want to be a lot closer to 0 (although i have heard up to 25 will work. I wish i could find used wheels so i could try some out before i buy. Seems most people change the suspension so much its hard to tell what will work or not work. I know i have camarro coilovers in the rear and 200sx struts in the front. There seems to be a LOT of space i could use in the front and rear wheelwells, but a 205 is a full 2" wider than the 155s im running now, and they would be 2" taller too (1" radius) By sticking my hand in there i'd say they they would fit fine, especially if I rolled the fender lips (doesn't bother me) But i'd probably have to get the offset just right.

I think i have some 195 55 r14s from a miata i used to have, thats the same width and within a 1/4" diameter (1/8 radius) of the 195 / 50 r15 so i might spoon them onto my current 14x6s and check out the fit. then i can measure and see if there is space for the 205....

I checked out the steering. Seems its all stock, There is ~1/2" clearance between the turbo and the steering box. It would be VERY bad if it hit under torque, and i haven't driven it really hard yet, but the PO and my friend didn't report any issues with it being there.

build plate on the door says it was built in september of 1969, so from henceforth onward i will call it a 69. Seems to fit the parts on it better too.

Another Maineiac???    Id be interested in doing up a Maine meet!  Talked to a guy yesterday out on Sabattus lake, hes got a 210 with a KA swap, Ive got a couple 510s and a RL411, if the 411 doesnt sell this spring, my buddy has a 260Z and a roadster...  We should make this happen at some car show this summer. Im not far from Auburn or Gray, right in Litchfield!!