69 4door 510 in Maine

housew

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

woot woot, mozilla for the win.

im hoping to make some progress on the dime tomorrow, and should have a bunch of pics to post up on monday. thanks for walking me through it guys! Just another reason IE isn't my favorite.

AND boost gauge ordered.

i have a feeling the PO had the boost turned up a bit, but i don't know how high with no gauge. Gonna fix that while im in there plumbing and wiring for the rest of the gauges.

Detailed gauge cluster build will be posted, with many pics now that i know how

a few shots of the new steering wheel and hub. Its a nice racemark (made back in the 60/70s for porsches, and got it for my 914, but i like the wheel in that car so it found a home here). Eventually i'd like to get a thick wooden nardi, but this will fit the bill for a while. BOSS hub kit and horn button that fit well. Suprizing how easy a job it actually was. Everything fit together wel

URL=http://s1360.photobucket.com/user/willhouse207/media/20140419_092055_zps46fab8ee.jpg.html]20140419_092055_zps46fab8ee.jpg[/url]

20140419_092715_zpsf976b9c6.jpg

now on to the gauge cluster build....

Car came to me with no gauges. It had the factory 69 gauge cluster, but nothing was hooked up. I was thinking of going the autometer route, but didn't like how hack it would probably look since i'd have to remake everything and have tiny gauges. I ended up getting the intellitronix 5 gauge panel (they make a 6 gauge with tach, but it was too wide to not hack). I plan to run the intellitronix gauge where the stock cluster was, a boost gauge where the a clock would go it my datto was fancy, and a tach mounted on the steering column. I'm going to worry about the tach after i get the others physically mounted, wired up, and functioning.

can check em out here.

http://intellitronix.com/5-gauge-panel.html

the end goal it to have blue led gauges for temp, oil pressure, voltage, speed, odometer, blink indicators, and boost. Going to use the stock bezel and the whole panel will appear to be just black when the car is off.

coupla pics of the stock gauge cluseter from different angles so you know what im working with:

20140419_092912_zpsa8746026.jpg

20140419_092921_zps48b42a3c.jpg

20140419_092934_zpse1f08b40.jpg

In the last picture you can see 4x phillips head screws holding the gauge panel onto the bezel, and 2x more holding the clock blank onto the bezel. Remove those and it all comes apart

next i dropped $1.25 on some acrylic down at the local hardware store (big spender) and mocked it up to fit

20140419_164712_zpsc3036233.jpg

had to make cutouts to clear the ribs between the gauges and the clock, but it worked out nice because they locate the acrylic side to side.

20140419_165811_zpsa7f79911.jpg

I then shaded the acrylic with tail light tint to match the acrylic intellitronix sent with it, but it looks kinda shitty. I ordered some tinted acrylic that should be here thursday.

I figured out the mounting brackets for the gauge panel itself, but i need to wait untill thursday for the boost gauge to show up so i can figure out mounting for that as well. Then its on to installing the sending units and wiring it up.

I received my boost gauge and tinted acrylic in the mail last night.

I gutted / destroyed the boost gauge so its just the electrical panels now, and i have the mounting theory figured out.

I need to pick up some longer screws and spacers at the hardware store tonight and im hoping to be able to fab most of it up. Ill probably end up changing something and requiring an additional run to the hardware store, but thats life.

I also did some figuring on the sending unit mounting.

For the oil pressure sending unit, I plan to replace the stock oil pressure sending unit. The red top sr20det's oil pressure sending unit is just a 6psi dummy light. Comes on if it drops below 6psi, and doesn't tell you much else. It doesn't talk to the ECU at all so im going to replace it with the intellitronix sending unit. Issue is the nissan sensor is 1/8 BSPT (brittish standard pipe taper) and the intellitrinix is 1/8 npt. I could probably get away with threading it in but it wouldn't be right, would probably leak, and i can't really use tape since the sensor grounds through the threads. Solution is an adaptor, mcmaster car has them (PN 4860k141) for $4.99 so i need to order that.

For the water pressure sending unit the red top sr20det has 2 different ones, both right by the thermostat housing. One is for the ECU, and one is for the gauge. I can in theory replace the gauge one, or just leave it there and add the sensor to a coolant hose, or tap a new hole somewhere. The stock one uses an m12x1.25 thread, and the new intellitronix unit is 1/8" npt. I can get a small "splice pipe" with a bung for a rad hose, or an m12x1.25 x 1/8npt adaptor for ~$15, and since i like the stock placement better than the hose, i plan to go that route. Hopefully ordering both sensor adaptors tonight.

boost gauge came with a sending unit I tee into a line, still need to figure out where that goes (i would assume right off the throttle body on the fuel pressure regulator line?)

Fuel level sending unit works off a universal ohm signal and i believe it is configureable. Should work with the stock sending unit in my tank if thats any good. I need to figure out how to test, and test that.

the turn signal indicators, volts, lights / dimmer should all just be finding the right wires from the factory plug. so that sould be easy enough

couple pics of me destoying / harvesting a cheap digital boost gauge

nice and new
th_20140423_191706_zpse069771b.jpg

first gentle break done by prying with a screw driver

20140423_191723_zps04f1d516.jpg

bunch more by grabbing and tearing the plastic with dykes (i love calling pliers dykes)

20140423_192324_zps00cb6162.jpg

all harvested and ready to go
20140423_192425_zps94c049ad.jpg

got a new peice cut out of tinted acrylic instead of the lens tint sprayed BS i had before
20140424_210843_zps33a468d7.jpg

started making the mounting brackets to hold the gauges to the bezels. I'm a nerd so i drew em up in cad, printed them out 1:1, and used that to make them
20140424_211245_zpsddf34ce7.jpg

and you can see how dark the new tinted stuff is. Almost a perfect match for what intellitronix sent with the gauges
20140424_213233_zps1302b7d8.jpg

• Like 1

gauge cluster is all physically done, working on figuring out the the wiring / plumbing.

things on order.

dunlop direzza dz102s in 195/50r15 Front and 205/50r15 rear

m12x1.25 to 1/8npt adaptor for the water temp sending unit

1/8bspt to 1/8npt adaptor for the oil pressure sending unit.

also put another 60ish miles on the car on sunday. Stupid fun to drive now that the frost heaves are gone. Lovin it :)

So I started wiring the cluster tonight. Got it powered up and the turn signal indicators working. I'm still waiting on the sending unit adaptors so all I had wax the fuel gauge. I was trying to figure out the ohm range for the fuel sender unit and...... I closed the trunk with the keys in it.

Now I need to remove the rear seat to get at them. Found that out so hopefully getting in there tomorrow.

AND I didn't really get anywhere with the fuel sending unit. Still have some learning to do. Where do I test ohms between? Seems like the whole tank isn't grounded at all. It's mounted on rubber and 0 continuity between the tank and new bat cable/terminal

got the rear seat out this morning. I was super worried about it. Took <5 minutes and was super easy. For the rear seat bottom you just lift up on the front edge and pull out. With the bottom out you can see 2x cheese / phillips head screws tolding the rear seat back down. remove those and slide the seat up out of its hooks, and voila, seats are out.

My car has some fiber board behind the seat to seperate the trunk from the passenger compartment. I'll remove that after work, fish my keys out, and get back to work :)

tires should also be in today. looking forward to getting those in and seeing if they fit or what i need to beat modify to get them too.

Hey Guys

Not new here as my last user quit working for whatever reason. Anyway nice to see Datsun Mainers so close. I'm in Danville, NH own a '69 2-Door 510 with S14 NA SR20DE. Your talking about a get together sounds like fun but middle of the week is an issue for me as I play a lot of Racquetball during the week. Maybe some weekend we could all meet up and take a drive or just hang or both. As soon as this weekend I'll start my ritual of checking out the 510 for the drive to Summit Point West Virginia I've been doing since '99. It'll be another great weekend of camping, racing and hangin with a bunch of other 510/Datsun heads, A splended time is guarenteed for all.

Lou

hey lou.

i heard about summit point, i'd love to make it out there but it wont be happening this year for me. I have a baby due (actually past due now) so im sticking really local for a while. Next year is a strong possibility though.

I'm down for a meet up some time soon though. Still to this day i think i've only seen 4 510s in person in my life, including mine :p

Of course you'll stay close with a baby taking her time<---Her Time B)  Congrats. Summit Point will be around next year so maybe all us Datsun guys can can caravan down, that would be very cool. Used to do that with Chris of Maine. Oh and it doesn't have to be a 510 no sir!!! any Dat will work even if you don't have a Dat it'll work.

nice!

I thought the summit point event was spec 510 and was pretty 510 centric. My 510 is a 69 4 door (obviously since this is my build thread) but i also have a 72 240z and a 74 260z both orange and very stock. I should be able to drive something down there if i can find the time to make it.

I keep hearing about this Chris guy, hes supposed to be from my town (gray maine) but i haven't run into him yet

Not a lot to report. Got the keys out of the trunk. Thinking of removing the parcel shelf and recovering it now that i have access to it, but im still not sure how the shelf itself comes out. Is it just held in there by 40 years of sun and decomposing or are there clips / screws? (rear seat is out)

also received the oil pressure sending unit adaptor from summit. So i can get started wiring that in :)

Oics of the gauge cluster all together.

Off

20140501_212819_zpsilwcjsxe.jpg

on
20140501_213122_zpse24d6tjg.jpg

I need to do a shroud of sorts around the boost gauge to contain the light a bit better, but that's the idea.

disclaimer: no 69 datto parts were hurt in the making of this cluster all plug/bolt in so far, please forgive the floral screwdriver. My tools have to be outside, the "inside tools" belong to my wife haha

• Like 2

Not a lot to report. Got the keys out of the trunk. Thinking of removing the parcel shelf and recovering it now that i have access to it, but im still not sure how the shelf itself comes out. Is it just held in there by 40 years of sun and decomposing or are there clips / screws? (rear seat is out)

also received the oil pressure sending unit adaptor from summit. So i can get started wiring that in :)

Oics of the gauge cluster all together.

Off

20140501_212819_zpsilwcjsxe.jpg

on

20140501_213122_zpse24d6tjg.jpg

I need to do a shroud of sorts around the boost gauge to contain the light a bit better, but that's the idea.

disclaimer: no 69 datto parts were hurt in the making of this cluster all plug/bolt in so far, please forgive the floral screwdriver. My tools have to be outside, the "inside tools" belong to my wife haha

Bad ass cluster there man. Good shit can't wait to see it lit up in the car keep up the good work.

nice!

I thought the summit point event was spec 510 and was pretty 510 centric. My 510 is a 69 4 door (obviously since this is my build thread) but i also have a 72 240z and a 74 260z both orange and very stock. I should be able to drive something down there if i can find the time to make it.

I keep hearing about this Chris guy, hes supposed to be from my town (gray maine) but i haven't run into him yet

Well yes and no in that lots of 510s yes but not neccessary. We've had Z cars, a Celica but with all Nissan running gear, BMWs, one Honda,,,One!!! You'd be very welcomed in any Z car. Chris is actually in Mechanics Falls. He sold his Camo 510 to Fisch<--spelling? who has had it for a few years and is yet to make Summit Point. Summit is a blast otherwise it would have faded years ago. But we always have fun and the night time venturing around the track through the woods on the infield finds you in a camps with open arms and opening beers :thumbup: