Thinking about buying a 521, what should I look out for?

cjzeppy

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 6 months later...

A chevy. Truth is the Datsun 521s are awesome little trucks however you have to find a really nice one because unlike chevy or ford there are no after market parts made like fenders doors and quarter panels. Stay away from any with even a small amount of rust and or dents.

A chevy. Truth is the Datsun 521s are awesome little trucks however you have to find a really nice one because unlike chevy or ford there are no after market parts made like fenders doors and quarter panels. Stay away from any with even a small amount of rust and or dents.

"Stay away from any with even a small amount of rust and or dents."

Good luck with that one!

Well my other option was a 60s Ford Courier (google that one!) which is pretty much a rotted frame and a cab and bed. I did buy a 69 521 and it does have some rust in the rear frame rails and the floor pan. But I work at a body shop, and very good at sheet metal replacement so the rust issue is not a concern of mine.

Well my other option was a 60s Ford Courier (google that one!) which is pretty much a rotted frame and a cab and bed. I did buy a 69 521 and it does have some rust in the rear frame rails and the floor pan. But I work at a body shop, and very good at sheet metal replacement so the rust issue is not a concern of mine.

Fuck no, talk about garbage.

What the fuck are you talking about no dents or rust were in the hell do you live.

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

Not really. They were made over engineered, so no weak spots to start with although lack of owner maintainance will take it's toll. Body rust and damage are obvious. Steering is by king pins.. basically a large door hinge. If kept greased they are ok. Once worn they can be stiff to steer, alignment problems and of course .. loose.

Mike stiff and loose in the same sentence!  What is Ratsun coming to?  LOL

Buy a 521 and make it yours.  Mike Klotz is working on a Ball joint mod that does away with the king pins.  Beebani I think has a upper adjustable control arm that works on the 521.  You can find a lot of custom made parts for the 521 right here on Ratsun.  The trucks a simple to work on and you can even custom design parts and make them your self or have a fabricator make them to your design.  All kinds of things you can do to a 521!  The sky is the limit.

Buy a 521 and make it yours.  Mike Klotz is working on a Ball joint mod that does away with the king pins.  Beebani I think has a upper adjustable control arm that works on the 521.  You can find a lot of custom made parts for the 521 right here on Ratsun.  The trucks a simple to work on and you can even custom design parts and make them your self or have a fabricator make them to your design.  All kinds of things you can do to a 521!  The sky is the limit.

Thanks Charlie. I bought a 69 back in June, and I'm currently working on replacing the rear frame rail section. Look for my post in the 521 section.