Thinking about buying a 521, what should I look out for?

cjzeppy

I've been Datsun-less for over 8 months, and with the tax season returning I'll have some free money to spend on a new project. A local Datsun person has a 521 potentially for sale, and it's in great shape. Was originally from the south, so there should be little to no rust. My question is are there any issues regarding these trucks that I should be aware of?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not really. They were made over engineered, so no weak spots to start with although lack of owner maintainance will take it's toll. Body rust and damage are obvious. Steering is by king pins.. basically a large door hinge. If kept greased they are ok. Once worn they can be stiff to steer, alignment problems and of course .. loose.

• Like 1

Rust prone areas are floors (& cab mounts), bottom of doors, rockers, front fenders at the rockers, bottom of tailgate, and seam along the inside of the bed.  Worn king pings, worn driveshaft center support bearing, out of adjustment drum brakes all around, hacked wiring like any Datsun, etc etc etc

Get one, drive it, when stuff breaks fix it, not an expensive truck to own.

I would have to agree with this statement, they really are not that expensive to keep on the road compared to a new car and it's monthly payment.

I problem is when one starts to IMPROVE them, then it can start to add up, and there are different levels of improvement also, there is an L20b upgrade which is not that expensive and is a great upgrade, and then there is mrbigtankers way.

• Like 2

I would have to agree with this statement, they really are not that expensive to keep on the road compared to a new car and it's monthly payment.

I problem is when one starts to IMPROVE them, then it can start to add up, and there are different levels of improvement also, there is an L20b upgrade which is not that expensive and is a great upgrade, and then there is mrbigtankers way.

Second on the monthly payment. I'm trying to sell my Subaru WRX so I can stop paying car bills every month, and get back into a Datsun.

front doesnt have springs, it has torsions bars and height can be adjusted by loosening or tightening torsion bar bolts, or for extra low u can re index them, there should be some info about reindexing them on here, lowering front is free, lowering back is about 50 bucks, now i have to warn u that the ride will be stiff and not as comfortable

Here, read this thread.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/53124-the-real-cost-of-a-cheap-daily-driver-datsun/

I think there are a few different ways of looking at this.  The cost of getting a project running, licensed, and relaible is allover the board.  it depends on the condition of the vehicle, and what the dreaded "prevoius owner" did to it. 

But I think once you get a Datsun back to stock condition, it can be ran pretty cheaply.  Notice I said stock.  When you start modifying a Datsun, it is not going to be as reliable. or as economical.

Second on the monthly payment. I'm trying to sell my Subaru WRX so I can stop paying car bills every month, and get back into a Datsun.

In California the new "STAR" smog centers are a total bitch to deal with, if your time is money then you are saving a car payment and a half every year. There are alot of parts out there for a 521's, especially with all the Ratsun engine swaps. L is short for Living in my garage too long.

Good point Daniel! I have a daily driver (99 Subaru Outback) and my WRX would be considered my "project." I'm currently unsure what I want to do yet. I do however have another option in mind. My boss's uncle has a Ford Courier (similar to a 521/620) for $400. Although it's cheap, it has been out in a field for 30 some years. So it will need to be stripped down to the frame and restored. I work at a body shop, and have good skills of fabricating sheet metal to fit certain areas. I might go look at the condition of this truck, and make my decision afterwards. 

Here, read this thread.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/53124-the-real-cost-of-a-cheap-daily-driver-datsun/

I think there are a few different ways of looking at this.  The cost of getting a project running, licensed, and relaible is allover the board.  it depends on the condition of the vehicle, and what the dreaded "prevoius owner" did to it. 

But I think once you get a Datsun back to stock condition, it can be ran pretty cheaply.  Notice I said stock.  When you start modifying a Datsun, it is not going to be as reliable. or as economical.