1981 datsun 210 hatchback

floyd17

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Nice car, is that the high MPG model? Looking forward to watching your build.

That little.plate on the firewall behind the valve cover will say. High MPG models have FU in the model number.

Yes, it's the high mpg motor. I don't have huge plans for the car. Just the pre-1979 head, a weber carb, and 280zx suspension swap, and a general restoration. New paint, etc. thanks man. Things are finally getting underway!

• Like 1

Sounds like huge plans to me.

Add to that the non-mpg camshaft, as the the oval-port head loves to rev. 1979 non-mpg head is basically the same as pre-1979. In 1980 the changed to a wet manifold head, then in 1981-1982 to a small oval port. The 1980 oval port is the best performance head stock in USA.

The 1976-1980 MPG heads are round-port, good for 5200 rpm.

Sounds like huge plans to me.

Add to that the non-mpg camshaft, as the the oval-port head loves to rev. 1979 non-mpg head is basically the same as pre-1979. In 1980 the changed to a wet manifold head, then in 1981-1982 to a small oval port. The 1980 oval port is the best performance head stock in USA.

The 1976-1980 MPG heads are round-port, good for 5200 rpm.

Is if possible to buy any of this from Nissan directly?

No A14 are low comp. They are around 8.5:1 which was typical in the 80s and 90s.

The 5-speed-equipped cars came with a 5200 rpm A14. All other cars got 6000 ron engines. Except 1981-1982 all were 5200 rpm .

Mine is a 1981 5200 rpm a15, riddled with egr and charcoal canister hoses and linkages. Tuned for low rpm usage. Torque curve peak is around 2500-3500 as best as I can tell. 65 hp. The plan is to find a head unit, intake, exhaust, etc, and replace it with a round ported head from an a14. And EVENTUALLY put either a 32/36 or dual 40 DCOE on it, and advance the timing.

A round port head makes less HP than the 1981-1982 oval port head. The larger carb & 1975-1980 cam will wake the engine up.

Charcoal canister uses no HP, but filters the gas fumes from the tank.

I am aware of the carcoal canister. I was just insinuating that the engine bay is a mess, with all of the linkages. So, you're saying I should simply grab a carb and a cam off a 75-80?

By "larger carb" I was responding to your comment " either a 32/36 or dual 40 DCOE"

Get a cam out of an 80HP engine. It makes power from 2500-6000 rpm, its a very good profile.

Sorry, I didn't clarify. I meant just the cam from the 80hp, not the carb also. My bad. Poor grammar an lazy typing never ends well. Okay. I'll be on the look out in the classifieds and the junkyard. On a side note, do these engines commonly have problems with oil leaking from the valve cover gasket? I recently replaced it with a name brand, rubber valve cover gasket and continues to leak, after extensive cleaning of both the head and valve cover surfaces.