TARDIS Build 1979 KC Auto

isomswim

• 9 months later...
  • Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It has been awhile since I've posted on my own build but it is not forgotten. I recently decided to start ripping out the front suspension to figure out if anything is bent like I was told or just way out of alignment. Replacing ball joints, cleaning control arms and painting some parts for the hell of it. Pics to come with completion. I want this thing on the road but I also want it together as much as possible.

I recently decided to start ripping out the front suspension to figure out if anything is bent like I was told 

This is the original reason I was scared to buy it. Dude kept saying some parts were bent in there but he couldn't be sure which ones...   :rofl:

I hope at least this part of the build goes easy for you.   :thumbup:

Trying to find a new fan blade has proven to be a job in itself. Local DFW dealership was able to find one on the shelf in Georgia, lightly scuffed they say. We'll see when I pick it up later this week hopefully.

Front passenger side suspension is fully disassembled and working on painting everything. New ball joints and end liks on the way. Going to use an epoxy spray as a primer then a heavy duty spray for color.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Recent updates

Got a new fan blade. Local dealer got it from Georgia, but it is the 5.25" size so I gotta get the larger water pump, probably needed to be replace anyways seeing as I was missing a single blade from the old one anyways.

Also cleaning up and painting suspension parts, awaiting bushings and what not to get here.

Started disassembly on the motor and glad I did. I found the pistons to be quite a mess and most of the gaskets were almost nonexistent.

Having issues with pics posting on my surface gettem posted later

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

So update. I've removed the engine for a rebuild. Everything is apart and finally learned to label nuts and bolts. Everything came out pretty easy, individual updates and pics to come. Biggest moron moment came today when I got the blocks on the stand and started cleaning. I was trying to remove the front expansion plug when I put a hole through the cylinder wall. Don't ask, complete dumb freaking moment. My question, is there a solution? Sleeve? Weld it up? Machine shop?

A good machine shop can overbore it and install a sleeve. I know of one in Fort Worth that does it, if you can't find anything over there. 

Thanks. Yeah I really freaked out when it happened but calmed myself after realizing its probably fixable. It might almost be worth it to over bore all 4 cylinders and build up a L20B for later install. 

• 1 month later...

So slow progress on the engine rebuild. Biggest issue so far is finding piston rings. It should be easier but I have ordered 3 sets and none are coming close to even the maximum clearance for ring gap. The bore is measuring under 86mm but even rings for 1mm over bore aren't matching up. Still too much gap. Confusing all around. I have tried DNJ and ITM. Any thoughts

• 4 weeks later...

Still chugging along. Started the Auto/Diesel classes a few weeks and been working on the Datsun a little here and there. Gotta get the block to a machine shop and get some bored out. 86.5 pistons were the closest I could find to the bore I'm currently measuring at, don't remember exact measure at the moment. Once I get pistons and rods back together everything should be going together pretty quickly. Ive also got a few cylinder heads to work with. 2 W58, 1 with a ruined valve seat and then 1 U60. Going to be looking for a 280/280 cam but not expecting too much in the performance. I just want to drive this body boy eventually.