The New Guy

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks good with engine in there.  :thumbup:

I did the same thing to my garage about 10 years ago when I painted a roadster, plastic curtains everywhere.

I also once painted a car in a storage place, plastic on the floor, then I set up a blower that sucked fresh air from the outside, heated it, and then blew it into the back of the room, it was the middle of the winter, and there was 6 inches of snow outside, it worked great.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

OK, so things we learned painting our selves.  

When you think you have enough coats of color, spray 2 more!!!  We found this to be the case for the doors, hood, etc. the second day of painting.  I had some trouble trying to get the spray gun to perform the same way when we painted the main body.  So once we put the car back together and rolled it out into the sun, you could see a few areas that were a bit thin.  No big deal, our first time painting!!

The second lesson, when you think you have enough clear on, go another couple coats.  We also had a tough time getting the clear to spray flat.  The orange peel was really bad.  We wet sanded for about 20 + hours, taking it very slow.  We stopped before we were done as we burnt through in a few spots.  We decide to just cut and polish.  You can see by the photos that it looks fantastic from 5 feet out and beyond, but when you get close it looks like it has zits.  

Over all, we are very happy with the results.  At some point we will sand an clear coat again, bits at a time.  but we are up against our deadline and want to get it running.

• Like 1

Ok, well since I posted that last pic I will ask the question.  I got that distributor from Dan the Man.  I think it is a stock Hitachi with pertronics.  I'll take pics and post bthe questions.  I need a coil and want to make sure I am getting the right one, also curious if it needs an external power source like a matchbox or if it is just plug in ready.  

More pics on that to follow.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks laotsu. I've read portions of that post in the past. Here is what I am still trying to figure out. The car came without a coil or distributor. We are installing an L20b which also does not have a distributor. I picked up a D4F4-04 6802 22100 N6102 which appears to have been used in the 76 610. So here is the question, do I need to get an external ignitor as in a HEI ignition module? I'm thinking that I do. I'm going g to do some homework on the 76 610 and see. Just hoping some who knows a bit more about distributors would know off hand.

This car looks great! 

Did you find with your ventilation system.. you had enough air in the 'booth'?

Also, did you have filters in the booth?

I'm going to attempt this one day... hopefully sooner than later.

It could have used a bit more fan, but only during the clear coat. My eyes would start to burn something bad and I'd have to shut them (actually had to shut them) and wait. I think I sprayed the clear too thick and it was more like a splatter. Should have gone with more of a mist. Live and learn. I'll take this $600.00 paint job any day of the week