The New Guy

914%20and%20Dan%20The%20Man%20036_zps1dn

Don't worry!!!!  I will connect a breather tub from the air cleaner to the valve cover!!!!  I will.

We also lost the breather tube on the block during a test drive.  So looking for replacement ideas on that!

We ended up running an MSD coil.....due to the many electrical issue we had we swapped out the 1979 620 coil.  Probably didn't have to but this set up is really working well

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Kevin, we had fun coming up this morning to see you and your clan. Love the car and thanks for the ride. Runs great and plenty of power to get those boys some tickets. See you soon

914%20and%20Dan%20The%20Man%20037_zpsn4r

another look.  We can stare at this all day!!!  We should, we built it.

Maybe Dan will chime in here.  This L20b runs really well.  When that 2nd barrel opens up it's like minny, minny, minny turbo.  Great low end torque.  Could not be happier with the results.

Dan, after you left me and the boys went out cruising.  I still can't believe we are driving it!

• Like 1

914%20and%20Dan%20The%20Man%20031_zpsl2x

That exhaust is about as simple as you can get.  straight pipe off the header with a Magnaflow at the back end.  Sounds great.  Very quite when idling and cruising but gets up there under the pedal pressure!!

ok, sorry it's been so long!

That's it for today......got to go get Shrimp and Crab for Mothers day tomorrow!

Ryan Family Out!

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

So after months trying to figure out what rim we wanted and what size tire......because it is what can make or take away from a car, right?  We thought about some new and modern looking rims but we just could not pull the trigger.  I had the American racing libres on mine back in the day, so we decided on the VTO retro 4s.  Yes i realize our car is blue and looks similar to a popular tube video 510 and although we did decide on blue after seeing that car, well that was all we really wanted to mirror.  As it turns out, we picked a much darker blue and think we made a great choice.  So back to the rims, we wanted silver as all 3 of us thought black rims took away from a car.........turns out the 15" x 7" with zero offset only comes in black........not to worry I say, we will paint them!!!!

Dads%20Phone%20July%2012%20293_zpsosxwrg

I'm here to tell you now, we have all fallen in love with this rim and tire combo!  There will be no painting.  We could not be happier with the rim to tire ratio, it fits perfect!!!

• Like 3

So here is the deal.  we have been waiting on the rims and tires so we could get out onto the freeway for the first time.  You see, the tire we were running around town were 17 years old!!!!

So we get the tires home, mount them and head toward the freeway!!!!.  We get about 1000 feet from the house and the car runs out of gas......so we thought.  As it turns out the new mechanical fuel pump literally fell apart internally!!!   

Now once we got this car running, timed and carb adjusted I was amazed at how well it ran.   just a few days ago we started to experience a bit of back firing during deceleration.  The new weber is now also leaking fuel somewhere around the accelerator pump!!!!   

We did manage to get it onto the freeway after bolting on the 17 year old fuel pump that came with t he car.  Anyway, plan on following the weber troubleshooting guide, adjust the valves, change the fuel filter and examine this leak a bit closer.  The carb seems to have a mind of its own and I am pretty sure the carb is faulty.  Holding it at 2000 RPM (or trying to) and there are just huge swings in throttle.

We have 1 more month to get this ready for the boys to drive to school on day 1.  I just dropped the front seats off for upholstery and will now put the punch list of items together!!!!!

i DOES LOOK FANTASTIC!!!

Dads%20Phone%20July%2012%20286_zps5bxqwh

• Like 2

Dads%20Phone%20July%2012%20286_zps5bxqwh

rims came out good man :) 15x7 no offset huh? are you running 280zx struts or stock stuff from T3, just kind of curious becasue my fronts are 15x7 no offset and they tuck up under stock fender. Of course I'm not running that big of a tire just curious about the outcome you got.

Stock struts with T3 kit. The strut casings have not been cut down (yet). The tires are 205/50. Which look fantastic. I don't think we would ever go any bigger.

Gotcha car looks good man one of my fav builds cus it was a family thing, I have yet to build a car with my old man

• Like 1

That's what my girlfriend said the 1st time I got naked in front of her :)

were going to miss ya all at Eagle Rock

HA!  I did say that didn't I.  Too funny.

James, we will see you at the next one.  Just way too much happening.  

Looks like DanTHEMan will pic up the slack for me this time with the Beers!!!!!!   I'll owe both of you next time.  Until then, keep a front grill stashed away for me please!!!!

• Like 1

Gotcha car looks good man one of my fav builds cus it was a family thing, I have yet to build a car with my old man

I never built a car with my Dad either. Here's what I tell my kids, be better than your parents! That's what I promised to my kids when they were born. And you know what, its really not that hard at all. So just make sure you build a car with your kids!

• Like 1

HELL YEAH!! Looks ****in' AMAZING. I love it!!

You interested in a pair of finned aluminum drums? They're on my car but it's not driving and I hope to swap to disc soon, so I can take them off. They have enough meat on them to be turned if you desire to.

Don't take them off just yet. I've got a punch list of little fixes a mile long. Appreciate the offer. Let me know when you get those disc brakes, we will talk.

I never built a car with my Dad either. Here's what I tell my kids, be better than your parents! That's what I promised to my kids when they were born. And you know what, its really not that hard at all. So just make sure you build a car with your kids!

I have two girls and don't want anymore lol but will see if they care to get their hands dirty when they get a lil older

although I have not been posting,(in a LONG time) I have been watching the progress of this build. Besides the awesome results of the build, I think the story itself catches so much more attention due to the fact its been a family build from day 1. Its almost a fairy tail of young gear heads into whatever form of transportation, not to mention being able to have some type of a decent relationship with siblings and dad to get it done.

I cant say enough about this build, and how much attention and interest it has drawn. Good Stuff Ryan's

Don't take them off just yet. I've got a punch list of little fixes a mile long. Appreciate the offer. Let me know when you get those disc brakes, we will talk.

Well the car isn't going anywhere for a while. I blew up the engine so it's parked. I still have the steel drums to put on if you take the aluminum ones. I have most of the parts for the disc swap; still missing a few pieces. It's not an issue to swap the drums.

I have two girls and don't want anymore lol but will see if they care to get their hands dirty when they get a lil older

I've got two girls and didn't even consider the thought that they might not want a car. And if they want a car, they WILL get their hands dirty.

• Like 1