• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

dash%20153_zpsdpykp3ww.jpg

dash%20152_zps0ghrzeem.jpg

Many thanks to the 510 keeper for this 72 Dash.  The boys and I picked it up at Eagle last weekend.  The Keeper got me a complete package with wiring harness!  Thanks again James!  Nice having a beer with you and talking Datsun.

The boys and I got straight to work, took that dash apart cleaned it up, paint, a trip to JoAnn's fabric (I hate going there) for $6 bucks worth of shitty vinyl and sha-zam!  a very decent looking dash cap!!!.

We are now a few  hoses, alternator and battery away from starting this thing up....oh and an ignition switch!

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Pics later. Right now just killing time at the muffler shop! That's right, it has risen! Infact the boys and I got it started the Saturday before Easter, probably pissed all my neighbors off driving it up and down the street with just a header!!! I will try and post a video of its birth and put the adventure into words ( it did not fire right up)!

• Like 3

Pics later. Right now just killing time at the muffler shop! That's right, it has risen! Infact the boys and I got it started the Saturday before Easter, probably pissed all my neighbors off driving it up and down the street with just a header!!! I will try and post a video of its birth and put the adventure into words ( it did not fire right up)!

I can say this, the smiles on all of our faces......so freaking sweet.

Sweet man can't wait man, so what all else needs to be done?

Dope. I was smiling ear to ear the first time I drove my 510 on the street. Your sons are probably always going to fight over whos turn it is to drive.

I sure hope you have it registered. It'd really suck to have your newly finished 510 impounded and sit in a dirt lot.

Its registered and insured. Got all that done before going the muffler shop. We got it timed and adjusted the carb and it is running fantastic. The boys took turns learning to drive it (stick). They also took turns accidentally laying down some rubber.

So ropodoe, we need rims and tires still. That will take a little $$. We drove to Anaheim and picked up a windshield from Nicoya. That will go in this coming weekend (yes, we have been driving it without a windshield). I still have wiring issues. I'll go into some detail on that later. We need carpet and the seats redone and a few bumpers!

• Like 1

Well I guess I'll find out if i did that right.  I may have just invited everyone to my photobucket site.  The above link is the 1st actual starting of the car!!!  sounds like crap as the timing was off, but what do you want for the 1st start.

I love my sons voice at the end, so concerned about the smoke.  We were so excited I forgot to warn them that the header would get hot and burn off what shit was on it.

Anyway, hope you enjoy it!

Congrats on getting it fired up, that's awesome.

I think diameter is as important a question as style. What's the specs on that mr122? And you can never go wrong with those vtos.

• 4 weeks later...

Update time!

I cannot thank DanTheMan enough for helping us out today!  Dan came by this morning with his wife Anna and not only gave some great advice on the clear coat but got right to work and sanding and polishing.  

Thanks to the 510 and Ratsun I have a new friend!!!!!!  On to the updates.

What can I say, I have met so many great people because of this website and because of the shared love of Datsuns.  Man I just love it!!!

914%20and%20Dan%20The%20Man%20035_zpszne

So this little fuse box caused a great deal of issues.  After two coils and 3 external igniters we discovered our problem was a short in the fuse box.  This short had a mind of its own.  We chased this thing around for a very long time.  I ended up cutting all the connectors off and fitting individual connectors.  It was that or go with an aftermarket fuse box and wiring kit.  I think we made the right choice!  The fuse box is very clean, it's the connectors that are so bad.  

Anyway, we got the lights working, took the steering wheel off and cleaned and resoldered the wire back on and chased a few wires here and there and bingo, we have turn signals!!!  And high beams!!