Ignition key stuck in the "on" position

The original key 4 my 80 720 KC was extremely worn when I got the truck. I had to manipulate the steering wheel to get it to turn etc. Local locksmith cut me a perfect key to the correct code....$18 expensive but worth it I suppose. The key worked all the locks, glovebox, and ignition smoothly......for a week and a half. On new years eve(just finished my alternator repair/upgrade) I got ready to leave 4 the holiday and the key stopped dead solid in the on position. I ran a temporary wire 2 the solenoid with a cigarette plug on one end 2 "bump" the starter....I kill it by pulling the multi-plug off the ign switch. Anybody else have a similar problem? Do not want to swap out the ignition switch unless I have to. Like having one key 4 everything. In the past I would just cut the swich off with my hot saw and install a universal swich and start button. This truck is way to nice to not fix it right. Should I just go pirate door locks, glovebox, ign switch, key from a donor rig? Is there any hope of getting the key out? I have not bent or forced the key. I did do a little tapping/jiggling/cursing. Greatfull the thing is stuck in the "on" position not "lock". Any tips-advise-etc will b appreciated!!

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You don't have to cut the ignition switch off at all. The securig screws tighten and then the heads snap off leaving nothing to unscrew them with. The trick is to cut a slot for a screw driver.

710ignitionsw005Large.jpg

710ignitionsw001Large.jpg

710ignitionsw003Large.jpg

710ignitionsw007Large.jpg

This makes them totally re usable. Now your ignition can be gotten at at least. Perhaps something is loose in there. Try shaking it out or stick the red straw in there and flush with WD-40 or is the key stuck? Some of my ignitions the key will pull out in ant position.

I knew I didn't have 2 "cut" the switch off. In the past my truck was a ROUGH scrap-gettin rig and it was more practical(FASTER) to just cut it off so I could get the steering wheel unlocked. I have had success in the past using a good reverse twist easy out on security screws that U couldn't get access to cut a slot. I hope the tapping on the key while twisting works.....Anybody near EUGENE/SPRINGFIELD Oregon have a free ignition switch? I don't mind pulling it out of a rig. Have lots of stuff 2 barter with as well. Thanks everyone 4 the help!  Harlow Smith

Ignition switch fixed!! I removed switch assembly like mentioned in above reply by King Rat...took off the elec part and flooded it with penetrating oil. Pulling on the key while jiggling the steering lock link then turning freed willy. I then flushed it out with carb choke and lubed well with a good light oil. Brass flakes, graphite, dirt, etc came out when flushed. SMOOOOTH as silk now. Wish I knew which section of the key blank engages the tumblers and prevents u from removing in the on position. The old worn out key slips in and out @ all degrees of rotation. Im sure I could massage that area of the key so I could pull my keys with it running. Anyway...as long as i have the column apart I an going to detail the gauge cluster and replace the factory clock.....it has the right time 2x a day! Also need to pull wire tru the dash 4 my elec trailer brakes and onboard air comp. Now is the time 2 do it with every thing removed. Please see my othe post about my headlights. thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

it is code cut key. had 2 wiggle and manipulate old worn  key thats why i spent the $18(ouch). Works great 95% of the time. going to have them cut me another a little deeper on the blank. dont think deepest tumbler pin is getting all the key it needs and partially depresses. if i can get tumbler assembly out i might just take out deepest pin and the one that won't let key be removed. can i get the tumbler assy out and back in without destrying it? glad i put good non security bolts in last time apart....

it is code cut key. had 2 wiggle and manipulate old worn  key thats why i spent the $18(ouch). Works great 95% of the time. going to have them cut me another a little deeper on the blank. dont think deepest tumbler pin is getting all the key it needs and partially depresses. if i can get tumbler assembly out i might just take out deepest pin and the one that won't let key be removed. can i get the tumbler assy out and back in without destrying it? glad i put good non security bolts in last time apart....

Sounds like the problem is worn tumbler inserts. Take the tumbler out, take it and your new key to a real locksmith and have him [most probably, it's not a growth field] and have him look in his drawer and drop in the correct new inserts that will make your new key think it's still on the dock in Yokohama! Ignition Key Tumbler assemblies are surprisingly crude!

• Like 1

Well I got halfway smart....dug up old worn key and presto!!! Got it to turn free again. Only temporary but at least I don't have to pull the ign-switch plug to kill it and jump the solonoid to start. Previous owner musta been heavy handed....had one 720 with 298k and the ign switch never had an issue. Wish I could just leave the keys in it and the doors unlocked......hate having to lock stuff up!!! I think we should chop off fingers and other appendges for robbing and stealing.....then make them sort garbage @ the dump for restitution!

• Like 1

Well I got halfway smart....dug up old worn key and presto!!! Got it to turn free again. Only temporary but at least I don't have to pull the ign-switch plug to kill it and jump the solonoid to start. Previous owner musta been heavy handed....had one 720 with 298k and the ign switch never had an issue. Wish I could just leave the keys in it and the doors unlocked......hate having to lock stuff up!!! I think we should chop off fingers and other appendges for robbing and stealing.....then make them sort garbage @ the dump for restitution!

Go ahead! Park it with the doors unlocked and the key in the ignition, just be sure that it's the old key.

• 11 months later...

I can't quite believe it - but this happened to me in my 210 (lock cylinder stuck in "ON" position), and the hammer trick worked (atleast for now...) 

I never would have tried this - thanks for the tip. Graphited it up good afterwards. 

while turning it to the off position, gently tap the back of the key with your hammer.

it vibrates the tumblers loose.

may take a few min but it does work.