280zx 5 speed in a 510. Drive shaft help needed

Jereth_510

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Really? The FS5R90A is a monster of a transmission. I didn't think it would fit the 510 without cutting the floor. Do you have a picture of it ? Perhaps someone miss identified it when selling it.

I guess the best thing is to install the trans in the finished location and measure from the back to the face of the yoke on the differential and take that and the driveshaft to a shop for shortening.

Not many people run this transmission in a 510 because of it's size and weight so I don't have much knowledge about it. Seems to me a different spline was used on the driveshaft, I could be wrong. See if your 510 spline will shove in the end.

But post a picture first, as a non turbo 5 speed will definitely fit your driveshaft and I know the exact length to shorten it to.

The Nissan FS5R90A

By the early '80s the 280zx was due for a power upgrade and a turbo was in the wings. The Z series 4 cylinder engines were also about to increase in size and torque as well. Even with upgrades the FS5W71B 5 speed was (at least as far as the six cylinder was concerned) getting close to it's limit. The next generation FS5W71C was barely on the drawing board and Nissan found itself with a turbo 280zx without a 5 speed and had to offer it with only an automatic the first year! This would not do, and so they quickly cobbled together a Borg Warner T-5 with Nissan input spline and L series removable bell housing and slipped them in the mid year '82 zx car. Though a stout transmission, do not confuse this one with the World Class T-5s in the Camaro and 5.0 Mustangs... it is not.

The earliest FS5W71C was installed on the '84 300zx with the VG30E engine. For some unknown reason Nissan continued with the FS5R90A on the VG30ET turbo cars even though the the normally aspirated FS5W71C transmission proved to be a better and stronger. The T-5 was eventually retired and in Nov. '86 an even stronger Nissan made FS5R30A 5 speed was introduced.

280zx T5 driveshaft is 100% completely different , and needs to be matched to the 280zx T5 trans.

If you're truly set on using it , get the proper driveline , drive down to the best drive-line shop you can afford and have it shortened to the pre-determined length needed. (Call the driveshaft shop if you don't know how to measure it , so you're both on board as to whats going on. )

EDIT: opps sorry for the echo

FS5W71B NON turbo... you are in luck my friend. If that came out of a 280zx it could only have been a first year '79. So either it wasn't a turbo, as they didn't come out till Jan '81, OR, it's been swapped into the turbo car from something else. Either way that transmission was made before 1980.

Your 510 sedan's driveshaft is 42 9/16" ( 49.5625" )

Properly shortened to take a 71B 5 speed it should be 37 3/8 ( 37.375" )

This is, I think, measured between the center lines of the U joints. Have a shop confirm these measurements. 

^^^ Not a 280zxt Borg Warner Turbo T5 transmission. That was a close one for you.

What year of 280zx did you pull it out of if I can ask ?

Do.. I see 2 exhaust hanger "ear" castings on your transmission and a 12:00 speedo cog hold-down bolt ? (maybe my eyeballs arn't up to the task lol)

5speedsearly.jpg

5speedlate.jpg

I pulled it out of a 79 model 

To what length would i have to cut the drive shaft?

Cool cool. I just quoted datzenmike below since he added content about driveshaft length in reply above :)

FS5W71B NON turbo... you are in luck my friend. If that came out of a 280zx it could only have been a first year '79.

Your 510 sedan's driveshaft is 49 9/16" ( 49.5625" )

Properly shortened to take a 71B 5 speed it should be 37 3/8 ( 37.375" )

Those guys pretty much covered what you asked,, but i have pictures. :lol:

I used this when i shortened mine and it came out perfecto mundo

Welcome to Ratsun tr8er! :thumbup:
We'll get you sorted.
Regarding driveshafts:
159DSCF0619.JPG
here are four with some specs:

top : sedan shortened for z 5spd - 37 3/8" between yoke centers (~5 3/16 shorter than stock)
next : sedan stock - 42 9/16" between yoke centers
next : wagon shortened (and re-tubed) for z 5spd - 43 11/16" between yoke centers (5 3/16" shorter than stock)
bottom : wagon stock. - 48 7/8" between yoke centers. Note larger diameter than sedan

It's a bit of a stretch to use a stock sedan driveline on a wagon with a long tail 5spd.
--carter

If you had a wagon and installed a 71B 4 or 5 speed you can get away with using a stock sedan driveshaft. Several people have done this with good results.

When you say "get away" what do you mean? Does it not fit perfect or something? I have a 71 510 wagon and it was swapped from a 4 speed to an autotragic, weird right, and I bought it and now want to put a 5 speed in it. I have a 5 speed out of something but I can't remember, I'll look at the tranny when I get home.

When you say "get away" what do you mean? Does it not fit perfect or something? 

He means it's about an inch short, but it'll work. Stock it has about 4" of engagement at the trans, and just over 3" with this combo (which is still plenty). 

I did this on my wagon and it worked just fine. Only thing we did was extend the dust shield an inch. 

He means it's about an inch short, but it'll work. Stock it has about 4" of engagement at the trans, and just over 3" with this combo (which is still plenty).

I did this on my wagon and it worked just fine. Only thing we did was extend the dust shield an inch.

Gotcha! Did not know this. Thanks for the info!

What did you do to extend the dust shield?

I think that is the same 5 speed I got way back out of a 280 zx from a friends junk yard (not the turbo). I just took a measurement of the length of the 280 and 510 trans and had the 510 driveshaft shortend and rebalanced to fit the difference in the length of the trans.

IMG_20130331_122843.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...