Sloppy shift lever

kgrantkey

It's an old 4 speed in a lil hustler pickup.  There appeares to be a plastic cup/thimble that the sgifter fits down ito that may be worn.

Any ifo on tightening up the shifter would be nice. I just pulled the engine and tranny together and will reinstall after bearings and rings in the motor along with some paint and engine bay cleanup.

It shifts OK but it's sloppy. The slop seems to be tn the shifter itself and not the tranny.  

Anyone know how to tighten uo yhe shifter on the cheap?

P82A0190.jpgP82A0191.jpgP82A0192.jpgP82A0193.jpg

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Two things.

Wrap a bit of teflon tape around the bottom cup.

Where the clevis pin goes through the shifter rod, put a spring washer over the clevis pin and between the sideof the shifter and the inner side of the housing.

Photofuckit is not working fr me at the moment though im sure someone will post a pic soon.

Also, a good dob of grease on the bottom cup will take a bit of slop out as well.

Yeah, looks like the shift lever bushings are gone.

This is what they look like but in white plastic. These were custom made from brass.

tranyBshifterbushingkit.jpg

I used a set of these Dodge van? door hinge replacement bushings. They were just a tad large.

DSC01198Large.jpg

I made a single cut with a hack saw and pinched the gap together and they fit Just right.

shifterbushing004.jpg

You can also try the Nissan dealer. Bushings are 32855-H1010 the cup is 32861-N4200 $3 each?

• Like 1

One day I'll spend some money on a different clutch and tranny, but I've had good service out of the stock set up. Had B'ham Friction work on my clutch pressureplate and flywheel today. Took 100.00 and got some change back.

P82A0199.jpg

Picked up some plastiguage to check my bearing clearence on my crank, I usually dont use plastiguage but thought I'd give it a try. Lots of spin on this old engine, even though I'm going with a l20b I had sitting in the basement for 6 or 7 years with much less miles on it.

P82A0198.jpg New-old L20b

Old L20b getting replaced - P82A0200.jpg

mikes got it!

i did the same on my shifter.. its great! the brass bushings havnt shown any wear over the last 2 years ive had em.. 

Joe,

You might want to double check those bushings, brass bushings have been known to fail in less than 18 months 

I found some door bushings that worked well. Thanks for the tip.

P82A0229.jpgMay want to move this thread to the 620 truck forum as Ihave more stuff to add as I rework my old reliable truck. Here is the motor before and after......I know I said I had a spare L20b to use but ut turned out to be an L18 freshly bored with new pistons, so I had my L20b bored to fit the pistons and the rods swapped. My next delima is the U67 vs the W58 that has the runners in the exhaust ports. I'll probably use the U87 head.

P82A0206.jpgP82A0214.jpgP82A0221.jpgP82A0220.jpgP82A0222.jpg

• Like 1

This looks like an L18 to me...

P82A0198.jpg

I was thinking about painting the transmission but that'd be stupid I think. I don't even know if I've ever seen a transmission painted. Certainly not in a daily driver.

P82A0217.jpg

Paint it silver gray.

P82A0198.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------

All those years I thought I had a spare l20b

.At least the l18 had just been bored with new pistons that I was able to use.. I still feel lucky the guy lost the timming chain tensiones and thought the rattle meant he trashed the engine, All I wanted was the hood but he said same price for the whole truck or just the hood.so I drug the whole truck home.  Sometimes you just get lucky. 

I scrapped an L16b and the old style 4speed that just had lots of miles on it. Kind of regret it, but if it sits long enough taking up space it may go to the salvage yard.. Most of the Ratsun members seem to be from the midwest. I live in Alabama in the middle of Chevy land, so even if I'd kept the rods from the L16 I'd never do anything like putting them in the l18.

If shipping wasn't so high I'd listed the motor and tranny in the classifieds.

• 4 weeks later...

Mock up on the L20b. Put the aftermarket cam in the u67 head on top of the bored block with new pistons.

P82A0271.jpg

Looks like a lot of slack in that chain. :confused:  Yhe left chain guide is pushed as far to the center as possible.  I only have 1 57 link chain. I guess that would be 114 link chain the way Datsun counts links.

P82A0198.jpg

Look behind the oil dip stick.. the engine size is stamped right at tht top of the block.

Mock up on the L20b. Put the aftermarket cam in the u67 head on top of the bored block with new pistons.

P82A0271.jpg

Looks like a lot of slack in that chain. :confused:  Yhe left chain guide is pushed as far to the center as possible.  I only have 1 57 link chain. I guess that would be 114 link chain the way Datsun counts links.

This looks like an L210B chain on an L18... check the block .

• 3 weeks later...

I need help replacing the rear seal in the transmission pictured here....

P82A0188.jpg

You guys taught me a new trick with the sloppy shifter.  I checked the gear kube level and had to rutn the filler hole almost facing the ground before any trickled out. I added some 90 weight dear oil, not even to the bottom of the fill hole and noticed it leaking out at the tail end where my driveshaft connects.

If it was just a slow trickle, a few drops I'd say fuk it I'll get to it later, but shit man everything is out and easy to get too so now is the time. This little project of renewing my truck has really turned into a pain in the ass,  Shit I used to hook the battery up and scoot around in this thing, I wanted it to be a good reliable ride now that I gave away my S10 chevy.

And it will be; if it kills me.   So I know its a 4 speed, pretty sure it came new in my 76 Lil Hustler but I could be wrong and dont want to try explaining what seal I need until I actually know.

If more pictures or a number somewhere is needed let me know.  It's gonna be a beautiful weekend down here and I want to get this thing going.

Look behind the oil dip stick.. the engine size is stamped right at tht top of the block.

This looks like an L210B chain on an L18... check the block .

Looks better with a new chain don;t it.

P82A0276.jpg

Just pry the old one out. I just used a screwdriver but there are special tools for this.

tranny014Large-1.jpg

The new seal is only a few bucks. Place on the transmission and lay a block of 2x4 over it and hammer down into place. Finish by sinking it all the way in. Go easy it's fragile.

tranny020Large-1.jpg

Be sure to grease the inner lips and or the driveshaft spline. This will prevent it tearing and starting up dry.

32136-U0100 is the Nissan part number. Cross reference it to the Timken.

• 4 weeks later...