Not quite so new 521 member with a 71 truck

ramzoom

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Dash pad sent to my fiberglass shop...repairing the cracks and getting it ready to cast a mold..going to see if we can make a dash cap that can be painted and then applied over the top of a cracked and ugly dash pad.(after smoothing out old pad). This way a guy could make the dash pad look nice without having to remove and recover...I figured why not try and see if it can be pulled off and look good???

It will be awhile until the first one is done for my truck. Curious to see how it turns out.

• Like 2

That corrugated bed would be a pain if it were all beat up…..luckily mine had a camper on it and carpet inside the bed its whole life so it was absolutely pristine. That made life easier…but yeah I know what you mean..and it's not just Datsuns…its everything..I see guys cutting corners to save $5 when all it would have taken was $5 to make it right..lol

• Like 2

That corrugated bed would be a pain if it were all beat up…..luckily mine had a camper on it and carpet inside the bed its whole life so it was absolutely pristine. That made life easier…but yeah I know what you mean..and it's not just Datsuns…its everything..I see guys cutting corners to save $5 when all it would have taken was $5 to make it right..lol

Welcome to this forum bro.Land of bubble gum and duct tape.lol

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The cap fits...I did a little sanding on the ends to get where its at now. The cap covers the top and comes down in front to the point where the pad slants back to the dash. I need to get with the shop to make changes to the mold to modify the ends but once I have it where I am happy I do plan to offer them if theres genuine interest..

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

So original painter disappeared on me…left the doors and tailgate unfinished as well as small stuff…Got my truck to a new guy and its getting a sand and a respray. The dash cap was finished out and painted. The pics of the cap just show it sitting there without the original dash pad in place. I will post more pics as it comes along. I have a thread in the body/interior section for the dash cap..I am trying to gauge if theres a genuine interest. Of course I won't even think about offering them until mine is done and I am happy. 

20160316_141738_zps7pxl5pae.jpg

20160316_141732_zps7a6rfok0.jpg

20160316_141714_zpsfjqvglpz.jpg

20160316_142004_zpsln5xuw37.jpg

20160316_141836_zps6r0vf6dp.jpg

• Like 2

I should clarify..this cap will fit over the top of your original dash pad..so you relocate the metal vents and remove ashtray unless you want to cut the cap to fit the ashtray..the plastic ducts remain in place under the original dash pad..

• Like 1

IMAG13321_zpssx449sii.jpg

It's getting there...dropped off the wheels today for some new tires. Got a decent steering wheel to fix up. Now my next decision is to fix and recover the original bench seat or redo the buckets that are in it now..I am leaning towards using the buckets..they are from Sears and were bought when the truck was new. They are actually for the 521. Nice shape too so I would just recover...yeah..I am thinking go with buckets lol..

• Like 2