Not quite so new 521 member with a 71 truck

ramzoom

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just went and looked at a complete dash, there is one nut/bolt on each end of the dash that I don't know how one would remove without removing the complete dash, there are 4 just under the windshield, 4 that are holding the dash and dash top together, and the two on the ends, so there are 10 that need to be removed.

You are going to have to remove the speedo cluster and glove box insert anyway to get to the firewall bolts, so you might as well remove the column bolts, heater control levers/cables, remove two more side bolts and take the whole dash out, wiring is also going to have to be dealt with.

• Like 1

What Wayno said. They come out together.  There are nuts and bolts between the dash board, and dash cap, tucked way up inside a groove, and then the wiring harness is crammed into the groove, to keep it out of the way of the windshield wiper mechanism.

The bolts are easy to break.  They are threaded 1/4-28, in case you need to replace them.  7/16 head.  You will need pretty agile, and flexible to get at them.  Use penetrating oil, if the bolts start to turn hard.  Remember taking 10 or 15 minutes to work a single bolt out is still less time than carefully drilling, and then tapping out a broken bolt.

• Like 2

I will add to this statement, when changing over from a 521 dash top to a 520 dash top, you have to have the 520 defroster ducts, the 521 ducts are different and will not work on a 520 dash top.

I always lull the dash and cap together then remove the cap.  Be careful of the defroster ducts as they are usually brittal with age

• Like 2

Here are three pictures of a dash board and cover.   The nut above and left of center is on one of the bolts that hold the dash, and cover together.

UnderDash1_zps0ae61693.jpg

My finger is pointing at another nut holding the two parts together.  Notice the wire harness crammed in where the bolt head is.  The tab, with the hole, bottom right of picture is one of six places the dash assembly is bolted in the cab.  Notice it is the dash cap actually bolted to the cab.

UnderDash2_zps7ef4a60c.jpg

This picture shows two bolts, and nuts that hold the dash cap, and dash board together.  The hole at the top, near center is one of the bolts that bolt the dashboard (not the cap) to the cab.

UnderDash3_zpsec790fe8.jpg

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...

I am planning on going in this coming week to strip the dash so we can paint it…Not sure what color yet….I thought the body color but I am leaning towards an alternate color that will compliment the interior colors and then accent with the trim bezel and dash pad….Not sure but yeah the metal dash will get painted and detailed out…I want to get into all the junk behind the dash to clean it up and detail while its wide open….I will get down to A1 foam and fabric so I can get some upholstery samples…I think I know what I want but that can change until I buy all the stuff..then that will help me determine the dash color...

• Like 2
  • 3 months later...