Not quite so new 521 member with a 71 truck

ramzoom

Hi everyone,

I am in So. Cal and just picked up a 1971 Datsun 521 pickup. Looking forward to fixing it up and have already been trolling around this site getting some good ideas and help..I am looking for a stock bench seat to reupholster, a clean steering wheel and a clean tailgate..my truck had a camper shell most its life which meant a super clean bed but the tailgate got lost years ago and the original owner had put in some direct replacement buckets from Sears way back when...

I will try and post a couple pics of my truck..

_57_zps2159b07e.jpg

_57-2_zps6ef5b9b3.jpg

• Like 5
  • Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes..same truck..

It is a very clean body and like 90% original paint. The receipt for the buckets was in the glovebox from Sears way back when..There is no rust anywhere on the body or underneath..the driver and passenger foot wells just have some surface rust but only because they had rubber floor mats in there and moisture gathered underneath..Basically they told me it was a daily driver and I could drive it home..nice people but the "daily driver..drive it home" wasn't anywhere near true..I am really happy with truck dont get me wrong but as i got ready to leave they informed me at that point that the gas was like 3 years old...I didnt want to but I figured I would drive it to a gas station and try some fresh gas mixed in with the crummy old stuff...while at the gas station I noticed coolant running out from under the truck but near the back..Turned out the long heater hose had blew a pinhole in it. I ran the truck for a couple minutes prior to leaving and checked and there were no obvious leaks so i have to think the pinhole happened during the short drive to the gas station..it had to be original. Anyways..the heater hose leaked, the thermostat housings leaked, one of the front wheel cylinders leaked...I am correcting these now...I already pulled the thermostat housing and cleaned everything up and put new gaskets and thermostat in there. Did a bypass on the heater hose for now..I am having the heater core tested and rebuilt. New air filter and cap and rotor...The gas tank is getting dropped Monday and cleaned and the lines blown out and new soft lines and clamps...The brake lines and that wheel cylinder as well as the pads on that wheel are getting replaced. Valves adjusted and intake/exhaust will come off and get cleaned up and new gasket. Carburetor will be rebuilt. Compression was good. Trans shift nicely. I put new shifter bushings in it..So as you can see it was not a daily driver..lol. It was a clean solid original owner truck that they parked for a few years and decided to sell. It has all the needs of a sitting truck. I will say though that the body is clean and no rust is a great thing. Overall I am very happy with it..Now can anyone tell me what the color is on the 1970 Datsun 1 ton brochure truck..the one on the cover..its a turquoise blue looking color..Theres several of the brochures on ebay...I usually hate to change a factory color but I just dont care for the white..and I usually like white but not on my truck..Thanks for comments everyone!

• Like 1

Welcome, bitchin' 521!  

I met a guy yesterday at the OC Datsun meet @ Angelo's burgers that's got a 521 bench seat for sale for 200 bucks, said it's in good shape. He's not a Ratsun member, said he doesn't really use a computer. He lives in Santa Ana, if you're interested PM me and I'll give you his phone number.

• Like 1

Welcome, bitchin' 521!  

I met a guy yesterday at the OC Datsun meet @ Angelo's burgers that's got a 521 bench seat for sale for 200 bucks, said it's in good shape. He's not a Ratsun member, said he doesn't really use a computer. He lives in Santa Ana, if you're interested PM me and I'll give you his phone number.

Thanks for the heads up,  I really appreciate your help but I was able to turn up a bench from someone and its on its way now..I am going to reupholster the truck so the material condition is not important. I should have it by mid week. 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Well I just opened my brand new NOS carpet kit for my 521!...Craigslist find for $25!...

Pulled out of the original box a mint black molded carpet kit and the icing on the cake was the heel pads which are pleated and have "Datsun" embossed in them..I was smiling like a kid on Christmas as I vacuumed my new plushness...

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Moving along….Doors coming off next week along with bed…Scored me 3 sets of original Datsun bumperettes with clean brackets a couple weeks ago at a swap meet :thumbup: …All the trim and chrome is going in to be refinished this week as well…I am shooting to have all done by the end of March…I hope. 

CAM01286_zps6234a57b.jpg

• Like 3