240z Coilovers

Creeper_Z

I recetly bought a 73' S30 ad im looking for coilovers that will alow me to lower the car siginificantly.  Ive heard that for 240s, sectioning the struts is a must in order to have the desired "slammed" look, but i dont want to do that i just want to bolt on some coilovers and be done. what do you guys suggest is good?  Here is a picture for reference of how low id like my car to be.

slammed-datsun-260z-side.JPG

• Like 1
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That car has no suspension travel, so shortening the struts won't help any.

All 240Z come from the factory with coilovers. Just cut off the lower spring cup, then refasten it 3" lower. Fix it with a $30 commercial shaft collar. Done. It will ride like it looks - tough.

It would be better to fit tires that won't rub on the slightest bump. Then it would make sense to shorten the strut tube, fit 280ZX inserts and stiffer 280ZX springs cut slightly. Lower the spring seat as above. Then you'd have lowness with adequate suspension travel.

• Like 1

So you want to just bolt on coilovers and go eh? you should probably sell your car to me, because a 240z ain't no honda and it's never going to be as easy as bolt on and go.

If you really want coilovers, you have to buy s13 coilovers and buy weld on tube adaptors and have those professionally done since I doubt you can weld yourself. 

Also like previously stated Yuta's Z is one of the lowest's Z's but he's said he has gotten stuck on just slight rises and slopes on a normal street, hardly practical but you own the car now do with it as you please.

• 4 weeks later...

Creeper,

these guys are all on point, ggzilla has a small write up thats pretty straight forward, and its what started me taking a different direction to go a bit lower. This is what we did for the front, Ill post the rear if you get interested. Simple straight forward.

Youll need  2 front Honda struts/coilovers,\

2 exhaust adapters/reducers.....2"ID X 1 13/16"

and two 2" industrial shaft collars...and I have a box if you need two.

Ill try to post some pics..when you cut the stock strut tube off remember to leave enough for the Honda strut to fit down into the tube, for more stability. I think 2" high from bottom of spindle is what we did.

Also keep in mind, if you like driving your car you may not want to go as low as the one in the picture you posted, but thats up to you, you could aslo use air bags and have options, then again more money time and research, I think Megan Racing make a plug and play set of coilovers, but still there is work involved. NOTE we also installed camber plates on all four corners.

let me know if you need help
11936426683_4463b655ee_m.jpg11936426623_9db570bb49_m.jpg11936990526_b3547d2983_m.jpg11936990506_1ecde37edd_m.jpg

ggzilla,

I know where your going...lol... I ended up using these for front and rear, for a few reasons. One...they are cheep for doing R&D,

two my sons can play with them as far as getting the car in the weeds, to bringing it back to drivable height.

Three, they can also be replaced for less $$$ and you will always be able to walk in to any parts store to get them.

Your way is great quick and easy and cost is low, but I wanted to try something different, just to mix it up a bit. :thumbup:

Any lowering strut for the Z cars requires some form of cutting and welding, unless you get a pre-build system from Techno Toy Tuning ($$$) or Tien ($$$$). 

You can have cheap and home made (ie lots of measuring, cutting, welding, grinding etc) or expensive custom solutions. 

He means removing the honda pieces and fitting them into the existing pieces. Datsun unfortunately uses a unique design where the tube is cast directly onto the knuckle. So where the honda would bolt on to something, the Datsun piece is integrated. 

Nothing to unbolt means there is no bolt on solution.

Form my photo posting class yesterday, Im guessing the photos I posted of what we did for the front did not post?

Anyhoot, we are using HONDA struts with adjustble coils, its pretty simple...front Honda struts have an OD that fits into a cut off S-30 strut tube....more or less....with the use of a welded on reducer and clamp..easy to do.

The rears are..rear Honda struts for now....cut off Z stut tube leaving the same amount of tube left, just like a Megan conversion. We used a sleeve that slip into the tube, drilled holes through both, welded square stock on top of sleeve, stock Honda strut lower mount bolts right to the square stock.

Currently the rear is still a bit too high even adjusted all the way down. More then likey we will get a set of S2000 Honda rear struts, which are around 3" shorter, bolt those right in...and see

Ill be posting in the future....

That's a neat idea. The only issue I see is weight, but stiffer springs or performance inserts and I guess it would be as good as any other option. Kudos to you :)

techno toy offers a full strut swap as stated above but the easiest/cheapest way is going to be gg's method with the split collar. If you go lower and need more travel just take the struts to a machine shop and have the shortened with shorter inserts. Maybe mr2 or 300zx? I think those are shorter. Those options are still much cheaper than a full kit.

Another expensive option:

http://www.mckinneymotorsports.com/prod_240+260+280Z+parts

Still requires welding to your spindles so add $100-150 for a shop unless you know someone you trust to weld them. $1200+ so basicly figure $1500 for this entire setup if you uninstall and reinstall the parts yourself after having a shop weld them up. This is why the split collar option is so much more attractive :P

Thanks Kirden,

not sure on the springs we are using, a bit stiffer then stock for sure...I thought I checked on the weight of each vehicle Civic/74 260z and they were both close.

However, did not check ratio asspect, Im only assuming the Honda is front heavy. Our current tracking width is pretty wide now too due to the 225/50/15 all around, so it may help as a total overall driver, we will see...this was suppose to be the boys project...lol

But thanks.

• 7 months later...

I recetly bought a 73' S30 ad im looking for coilovers that will alow me to lower the car siginificantly. Ive heard that for 240s, sectioning the struts is a must in order to have the desired "slammed" look, but i dont want to do that i just want to bolt on some coilovers and be done. what do you guys suggest is good? Here is a picture for reference of how low id like my car to be.

slammed-datsun-260z-side.JPG

Do you know what kind of wheels are on that car. I thought they where aces but then i saw the beadlocks on them.