1976 Datsun 620 DD/project

windowless66

Picked up a set of carbs for the J15 just need to get an mgb manifold to suit 

l18sssHitachis.jpg

Anyone with a RHD had much experience with the swap? I've read a bit on ratsun about how its doable but your (LHD) steering column gets in the way. More wanted to know from someone that had done the swap and any issues they found.

If not I'll be posting any issues I have as they come up. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was a bit worried about the roof as had a fairly thick layer of surface rust under the paint so sanded back etched primed and was about to paint white for a chequered roof or rising sun but found some sample pots I had bought a while back and got inspired.......

DSC_0555.jpg

Colour is a bit greener/darker if person and I have hit it with 1200 sandpaper so not looking real glossy in that pic but at least its protected now. Will have to give it another coat or two as I only got one and a half coats down but I was happy with how well it covered.

Thinking of doing the whole lot in this colour & painting the original wheels white,white lettering on the tailgate & some white venetians. Thats what's in my head anyway :P

• 3 weeks later...

Had a bit of an issue with the stock exhaust manifold I used, one of the studs at the exhaust flange snapped. The Datsun was starting to sound more and more like a tractor the manifold needed to come off. I'd had a bit of a look around for some sort of extractors/headers that would suit the J15 but the mgb ones seem extend too far down towards the crossmember, and custom ones are out of my price range at the moment so decided to make my own out of an old set we had lying around.

DSC_0721.jpg

old set of holden 6 headers

DSC_0760.jpg

DSC_0761.jpg

"New" set of J15 headers

DSC_0770.jpg

quick night shot to show it back together

The pipe just dumps out beneath the cab at the moment so its pretty loud inside but sounds a lot like a Harley :P 

I'm just planning on running a straight through system with a resonator. Might get the pros to do that though.

The Datsun is kinda growing on me :)

DSC_0719.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I wanted to put in an L series. I have most of the bits needed other than a tailshaft even scored a lynx crossover manifold for a DHLA 40 I've had sitting. But I'd have to sort out something with my brakes. For now I'll just stick with the J15, it'll keep me out of trouble as the top speed is about 120kmph :P

• Like 1
  • 9 months later...

Not much has been happening on the 620 just enjoying driving it. Engines getting tired and starting to use a bit of oil, Will have to do something before too long.

But I tell you what these Datsuns are an Illness just picked up a future project 521 and there's a G130 personal six in the works. 

Here's some photos the 521.

DSC_0654.jpg

DSC_0656.jpg

DSC_0657.jpg

Shes a bit rough but they are fairly scarce and trying to find a tub might take a while.

• Like 3

Not much has been happening on the 620 just enjoying driving it. Engines getting tired and starting to use a bit of oil, Will have to do something before too long.

But I tell you what these Datsuns are an Illness just picked up a future project 521 and there's a G130 personal six in the works. 

Here's some photos the 521.

DSC_0654.jpg

DSC_0656.jpg

DSC_0657.jpg

Shes a bit rough but they are fairly scarce and trying to find a tub might take a while.

Man this thing has so much cool !  Great job saving it ,, and you know your screwed ones you get more than one ? before you know it you will have 10. 

• Like 2