1976 Datsun 620 DD/project

windowless66

Hi Just bought this 620 yesterday from a mate, soon to be daily driver and work in progress. All I've done so far is give the car a good wash and a bit of a cut/polish. Some people won't like the clean cut rat thing but I prefer a bit of shine with my surface rust :)

before

DSC_0859.jpg

Will have to post after tomorrow

• Like 3
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I've only seen the tray-backed 620's around aswell. Had a bit of rain today so didn't get much done, stopped long enough to clear out the parts from the back and give the tub a bit of a pressure wash.

Took some pics but it was too wet to finish the bonnet and left hand guard. I will have to give it a bit of a machine cut at a later date but at least the oxidised paints gone. Anyway here are  the pics.

DSC_0861-2.jpg

DSC_0863.jpg

DSC_0864.jpg

DSC_0865.jpg

DSC_0866.jpg

DSC_0867.jpg

• Like 2

I've been having a bit of a hunt around for six stud slot mags over here in australia with no luck...I did however find a set in the U.S.... I don't want to be one of those people that ask what wheels will fit but If I'm going to pay postage I'd want to have a bit of an Idea.   I was looking at these as I want something that still fits under the guards.....any advice?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-15x7-chevy-pickup-truck-aluminum-slot-slotted-6-bolt-mag-wheels-/360800781486

http://www.ebay.com/itm/15-x8-5-Slot-Mag-Wheels-Rims-Fit-Chevy-Dodge-Ford-Truck-6-Lug-US-Indy-Ansen-/380781291931

Even if I don't get one of these sets the sellers have listed the backspacings and that should let me know what to look for next time. 

I don't know the numbers off the top of my head but this thread http://community.ratsun.net/forum/55-wheels-and-tires/ should have some answers for you.

I'm sure there are Ratsun members with extra slots hanging around for sale.

Check Craigslist.org too. Shipping can be iffy but there are plenty listed usually.

Are there a lot of 620s down that way? I'd be very interested in owning the parts for a right hand drive conversion.

Yeah there are a fair few around but like ]2edeye most of them have tray backs. Not overly popular here either. Well if any 620 owners had a set of slots I'm on the lookout that way I'd know they fit too :P

I've never seen a console like that in the front. Kinda cool looking.

I'll try and find out what it's out of if you want. Seats are 86 corolla

I have a set of slots and they fit great! If you werent so far away Id sell em too you.

Yeah I will probably have to end up getting some rims sent over. But yours are a tad wider than I wanted :) Looking to go for this look eventually.

044b.jpg

087b.jpg

Police over here are fairly strict on wheels not extending past wheel arches and flares aren't the style I'm going for

This guy I'm pretty sure has a red tailgate but I was thinking of painting the whole inside of the tub red.

Keeping the J15 (as long as it keeps running) and column shift and going back to a bench seat. Bit grandpa of me but Thats how I roll :P

• Like 1

Took it for its first drive today and head gasket is leaking. Pick up a new one tomorrow and off to have a look at a recovered bench seat. Funny thing is the car had alot of electrical problems that have sorted themselves out after driving about 25 kms. 

New wheels

DSC_0874.jpg

If you cover the sill with your finger they don't look too bad

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Been pretty busy With the 620!  Head took a bit of persuading one of the bolts was seized in the head but after alot of fiddling it came out without snapping. 

DSC_0877.jpg

DSC_0879-1.jpg

DSC_0881.jpg

DSC_0878.jpg

DSC_0880.jpg

The head and block could have done with some machining but I'm planning on putting an L series. I've done almost 500 k's and no problems yet.

DSC_0177.jpg

Still a few little things to do to get it registered. Tailshaft centre bush/bearing needs replaced, Brakes need adjusted and a few electrical issues. Brake lights don't work when the taillights are on, side indicators need rewired. they  have a short in the circuit that kept blowing the tailight fuse, then as I was getting the fuse out with with the key.... :P I hit the body and blew the fusable link (Which I didn't know existed until a google search sent me back to ratsun) But other that that its been Fun. Hoping to have The datsun on the road by the end of the week :)

• Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...

Got the car on the road today! :)

Now I can look at getting her a bit lower. I will be cranking down the front tomorrow if all goes to plan ;)

Took the 620 for its first night drive and what happens in the rear view mirror is strange all I can see is the reflection of the windscreen, I've never had a ute/pickup so maybe it happens in all of them.

That happens in mine when there are brake lights or headlights in front of me. Rear glass reflection is strong. I thought a matte black perforated vinyl decal would fix it but then people behind you would'nt see brake lights in front of you...

Your truck polished out really well! Looking good.

Any luck finding slots?

No luck finding slots yet.  Got a big swap meet coming up next month so might have some luck there. I'll have my eyes peeled for a few things all datsun :P

I'll be looking for a 620 taco or similar, under-dash parcelshelf, sports steering wheel centre and an mgb weber manifold for the J15.

Haven't lowered it yet but got some pics of the interior.

DSC_0193.jpg

DSC_0194.jpg

I've been getting alot of negative comments on the yellow rims (not on ratsun... yet), I was thinking of painting them black but now I think the yellow has to stay :P

• Like 1

No luck finding slots yet.  Got a big swap meet coming up next month so might have some luck there. I'll have my eyes peeled for a few things all datsun :P

I'll be looking for a 620 taco or similar, under-dash parcelshelf, sports steering wheel centre and an mgb weber manifold for the J15.

Haven't lowered it yet but got some pics of the interior.

DSC_0193.jpg

DSC_0194.jpg

I've been getting alot of negative comments on the yellow rims (not on ratsun... yet), I was thinking of painting them black but now I think the yellow has to stay :P

I think what you like is what you should go with , great find ! I would love to have the right hand drive . That's a very cool sun shade on the front as well.. it will be fun to see where you go with the build .

I think what you like is what you should go with , great find ! I would love to have the right hand drive . That's a very cool sun shade on the front as well.. it will be fun to see where you go with the build .

:) yeah, Your right and I do kinda like the yellow I just wasn't sure if I liked how in your face they are :P