510 Speedometer fix for Ka24de & Sr20det swaps

nkl dme

510 Speedometer fix for Ka24de & Sr20det swaps

Maybe this should be pinned?

My next step this week on my Ka24de goon project is to get my speedometer working. I'm doing my homework here on Ratsun and couldn’t find anything on one thread that talks about all three components (speedometer, speedometer cable and the Mechanical Pinion Gear). The speedometer itself does not need to be modified in anyway nor does the appropriate speedometer cable though the Mechanical Pinion Gear does due to a mounting issue.

I’d like to sum all of this up clearly for anyone else that maybe looking for this same information that has a Ka24de or Sr20det and transmission swap. This modification NOW seems fairly easy to do thanks to all of the users putting helpful information out there.

Speedometer Cable:

What I've gathered is there are two cables that have been solidly confirmed to work. Either a cable from an Automatic 510 transmission because its length is longer than the manual one, or this cable from O'reilly's Part Number: CA3083 UPC: 727993217634 confirmed by Creepy Cruiser – shot out to you man for providing this information!

Mechanical Pinion Gear:

VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) aka TSS (Transmission Speed Sensor):

Here is where I actually first started -  thread  “KA24DE swapped wagon, needs some electrical help.” Again Creepy Cruiser providing great information with saying to use a Mechanical Pinion Gear from a 280zx, 2wd 720 pu, early 300zx, etc. User q-tip also provided Nissan Part Number: 32702-58S20 pinion assembly. From what I’ve read the “RED” gear provides the most accurate speed result on the original speedometer gauge. The new Mechanical Pinion Gear does need to be modified in order to mount to the transmission and it is highly recommended you refer to DQ Volume 9 Issue 3 Page 14 for their outstanding write up.

This is my first topic post and I hope I’m not stepping out of bounds in anyway.

• Like 2
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

great 2nd post man!

all ur info is correct to what i understand......... not that im always right or anywhere close to it but i got virtually the same info from diff sources!

do you have a link to "DQ Volume 9 Issue 3 Page 14 for their outstanding write up."  Id like to read it as im in the middle of a DE swap right now 

great 2nd post man!

all ur info is correct to what i understand......... not that im always right or anywhere close to it but i got virtually the same info from diff sources!

do you have a link to "DQ Volume 9 Issue 3 Page 14 for their outstanding write up."  Id like to read it as im in the middle of a DE swap right now 

The dime quarterly is available online to anyone. Again I don't want to step out of bounds posting a link so I recommend to do a Google search "the dime quarterly" and look for the Google docs link.

Some KA24DE transmissions already have the appropriate gear on them. Seems like the original post is:

How to convert 240SX transmission speedometer drive to mechanical drive.

The cable is not a rare type, just need one a little longer than the original 510 cable as the KA transmissions are a little longer. So 610, 710, or 810 cable will work, among others.

My mechanical has the red gear on it and is pretty damn close, the only thing I remember modifying was a way to hold it in the transmission, I think I just ground down a fender washer to make it into a square-ish clamp similar to the stock type

I had to make a very simple bracket to hold the gear in place.  Next time I have the 510 on jackstands I'll get some pics (if I remember) 

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

very imformative for me.

I bought a car with an sr20det swapped in and no speedo. I've been useing my smartphone / gps for speed but i'd like to get it functioning if possible.

Cable is easy to find, i have an orileys connection that can get it for me.

now i just need to find the vss/tss/pinion asy. If i come across a part number for it i'll post it up. having a hard time finding one at a JY since everyone seems to call it something else.

im super confused now. I was looking for the peice that bolts into the tail housing and spins the spedo cable

which happens to be nissan PN 32702-58S20.

The sensor thats on the bellhousing looking at flywheel teeth would be something else, crank shaft position sensor or the likes i would think, but it would be motor speed not vehicle speed since its before the gears in the tranny.

• Like 1

Yeah, CAS you may be right. I think I'm wrong on this now.

I looked at some earlier 300zx and 240sx and the sensors had different part numbers so I think they are not universal. Auto and manual sensors are also different.

The FS5W71C sensor from a KA24DE will likely work in it.

• 5 months later...

The speeds sensor. I don't think we got this here but JDM transmissions had the sensor mounted on top of the bell and sensed the flywheel starter ring teeth. See if I can find my picture.

KADEandKAES14andS135speeds001.jpg

I know I know but I don't want anyone to read this and be totally confused but that is not a speed sensor on top of the bellhousing, it's the trans breather tube.

The trans breather needs electrical wiring??? It might also be the CAS on reflection. The speed sensor is in the bottom right of the tail.  

The trans breather is on the top (slightly right) and forward of the trans mount on the tailstock. The one on the left has a hose on it. The right is a clean white color

• 2 months later...

Newbie here, getting back into 510's after 25+ year hiatus...  great forum...  trying to get my speedo working with my sr20det... i've been able to source everything except the pinion assembly (32702-58S20).  Any thoughts where I can get one?  I've also posted int he classified.  Thanks!

This is misleading and I think only representative of a 240/260/280 Z car and does not take into account the tire size which also affects the gearing.  A switch to a larger tire diameter means the car goes faster at the same speedometer reading. To correct this a smaller number of teeth will cause the speedometer cable to run faster and the speedometer to read higher.

Speedocogs.jpg

The number of teeth is to speed up or slow down the speedometer cable to have an accurate reading speedometer. The number of teeth does not necessarily mean it is for a 4.11 or 4.375 or any other ratio. Keep in mind that what works on one car doesn't always work on another.

The S10 (200sx) standard has a 3.889 diff. and uses a 17 tooth pinion gear. (175R13)

The '81 and up 280zx TURBO* with 5 speed standard also uses a 17 tooth pinion but runs a 3.545 differential. (*surely a larger diameter tire than the S10?)

The red speedo gear is out if a 78-79 datsun 620 it is for 411 geared rear ends . The white gear is for 390'rear gear and is what came in a 510/610/710 auto 810 and auto zx and hl 510's ?

Can't always trust the color always count the teeth. Only the 4 and 5 speed '79 trucks had the 4.11 differential.

The 710 L18 automatics were 4.11s, 4 speeds were 3.889. All '75 and up L20B 710s were 3.70

The 610 wagons were 3,889 through 74 and 3.70 from '75 on.

The 610 sedans and HT were 3.70 for 4 speeds and 3.90 for automatics through '74 and all were 3.70 from '75 on.

All 810 manual and automatic were 3.70

The HL510 to '80 in the US, had 3.545 (L20B) and after '80 (Z20S) were 3.364

Have my doubts on using GPS. As soon as you say GPS everyone thinks cruise missile accurate to 1.5 feet, throw a missile down a terrorist's stove pipe. The commercial GPS is not military grade accurate. It has to compute your average speed over several readings over several seconds and worse is only based on 2 dimensional (horizontal) distances. Going up or down a hill will read slower than you are actually going. Trees and buildings can also induce error. For the most part, under ideal conditions, they are pretty darn good.