How far have you driven your 620?

timbuhr

I got my 78- 620 in 1993 and have been as far south to panama canal thru Mexico city and as far north as Fairbanks , Alaska .

zig zag across united states from Maine to key west, Florida back here to southern cali.

I have driven my 620 to every state capital in usa and seen all the sites in all states.

in the eight years(a working vacation) it took me my 620 never let me down it never left me on the side of the road in bfe saying AHH SHIT!!

I have had my share of problems with it but not until I got where I was going or passing thru a town It has the original motor I have rebuilt two times.

in the 20 years I have owned it I have only changed the water pump twice when I rebuilt the engine because it started to smoke from bad rings after a cyl bore and new pistons and new bearings and gaskets redo the head and normal wear and tear stuff I hit the road again.

it has the original tranny never been touched inside and still works like new and same go's with the rear end.

it even is the place where my 6 yr old girl was conceived in the bed of it at a drive in movie.

the odometer has turned over 3 times and twice from the previous owner I think since I had it and still turns heads and runs great .

it has the original seats that have been redone and the interior has been redone to be comfortable so now I think it has about 542,000 miles on it .

IF IT COULD ONLY TALK IT WOULD HAVE SOME STORYS TO TELL!

what can I say I love my truck and it loves me it always thanks me by getting me where I want to be with out any trouble

I have a few other vehicles but I love driving my Datsun.

• Like 3
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome story. My longest single trip is ~550 miles and I've put about 8K miles on it since I got it. PO was rough on maintenance and rigged up the carrier bearing so it has put me out a few times. Twice the bolts broke on the alternator mount due to the vibration from the driveshaft, then the driveshaft bolts broke from the rear end. Sadly the vibrations weren't noticeable from the cab so it took all of that for me to figure it out. The PO decided rather than replace the carrier bearing he would wrap the isolator in duct tape and keep going.

Since figuring it out I have broken a tranny mount and the distributor bolt cause the 620 was my only running vehicle. It's been down for about two months waiting on parts and trying to find a shop to fix the driveshaft. I hope to make the long journey to Canby in it next year, but there is a long way to go.

• Like 1

Had my '78 since '93-'94? and drove about 12K miles a year up close to the 2000s. It's been 2,800 miles to Ontario and back about 6 times on the L20B and never gave one second of problem. Probably just over 100k miles on her plus what ever was on it when I got it. Doesn't smoke or burn oil. Replaced the HG the summer before I parked it, maybe 4-5 years ago. Cost $23. Took the motor out and gave it to Richie. Had sex in the back of it too.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I got my 78- 620 in 1993 and have been as far south to panama canal thru Mexico city and as far north as Fairbanks , Alaska .

zig zag across united states from Maine to key west, Florida back here to southern cali.

I have driven my 620 to every state capital in usa and seen all the sites in all states.

in the eight years(a working vacation) it took me my 620 never let me down it never left me on the side of the road in bfe saying AHH SHIT!!

I have had my share of problems with it but not until I got where I was going or passing thru a town It has the original motor I have rebuilt two times.

in the 20 years I have owned it I have only changed the water pump twice when I rebuilt the engine because it started to smoke from bad rings after a cyl bore and new pistons and new bearings and gaskets redo the head and normal wear and tear stuff I hit the road again.

it has the original tranny never been touched inside and still works like new and same go's with the rear end.

it even is the place where my 6 yr old girl was conceived in the bed of it at a drive in movie.

the odometer has turned over 3 times and twice from the previous owner I think since I had it and still turns heads and runs great .

it has the original seats that have been redone and the interior has been redone to be comfortable so now I think it has about 542,000 miles on it .

IF IT COULD ONLY TALK IT WOULD HAVE SOME STORYS TO TELL!

what can I say I love my truck and it loves me it always thanks me by getting me where I want to be with out any trouble

I have a few other vehicles but I love driving my Datsun.

Great story! I put 10,000mi/year on mine. Drive her daily. Uncomfortable long term and noisy but she does what I ask her to do, very slowly.

No sex intimacy in the truck. I can hardly get anyone to consider taking her out.

Mind sharing what stuff you brought with you on all your trips?

I took tools, food, cloths, camping stove, lantern, tent, sleeping bag, 12 ga shotgun, 357 Cal hand gun, ammo, machete, extra parts that I might need

like starter, alt, belts, hoses, head light bulbs, tail light bulbs, fuse's, elec wire for just in case , but connectors, and fix a flat,

and a 12v air compressor which I never needed.

I have a camper shell with carpet on the inside walls and a carpet kit in it.

it made it possible to store that stuff out of site and organized.

I have redone the seats with extra padding and insulated the floor boards and roof and cab walls with sound deadening material

to keep down the noise and cold out and all new door seals and window felt so it is pretty quiet on the road.

I rebuilt the four speed tranny to a five speed and put in a larger gear for 5th so at 75 mph my rpm's are only at 1600

so I can cruse all day long and I also put in a custom 25 gallon fuel tank so I get around 400+ miles to a full tank.

I made a custom mister to spray water on the radiator in front when I was driving up hill or in 120 degree heat 

and it started to get warmer than normal

I would flip a switch and it would spray about a 2 gallon's an hour.

I had the supply hose for the water going to the back of the truck in the camper shell

to a small 4 gallon water container I also used for drinking water.

it worked bad ass. never have an over heating problem .