Another 620 for Jester

Jester

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I will be using coilovers. Looking for some that are MAX 4" travel. From ride hight it will have 1-1 1/2" of availavle down travel and 2" upward. And I'm not looking to run the Toyota arms, just the spindles.

Lower control arm pivots will be @ 16 1/4" if I leave them in their stock side to side location. IF I move them outward, which I could, they will be 18 1/2". I need the ball joints in the rack to be wherever my pivots are. Tryig to keep as much bump steer out as possible.

Does your idea HAVE to be 20"? What are you thinking? 

I appreciate the feedback guys. It's nice to bounce ideas off you guys and hear your thoughts. 

I'm just getting my thoughts together on this, hadn't really thought about it seriously before. After lockleafs post in my thread I will have to think some more :)

Oh ya, went to look at a '81 KC 720 4x4 today. Belongs to my uncle :wub:  and he is GIVING it to me.  :frantics:

I may have a new daily while I officially build my 620! She is ruff and muddy, thanks cuz, and a little beat up. BUT, no rust. And it needs a new engine. Divorced T-case.......soooooo how about a L20B/4spd 4x4?   :rolleyes:

Let's go wheeling! :D

• Like 2

Let me know... 

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA  I was hoping you would pop in. I went past your house yesterday but didn't have time to stop. I had to be back to my house at 3. I will definitely let you know. I'm shooting for next weekend. If your not doing anything maybe you could come over. 

Damn, no beer drinking smiley. WTF! 

I'm just getting my thoughts together on this, hadn't really thought about it seriously before. After lockleafs post in my thread I will have to think some more :)

Let's go wheeling! :D

Hell ya. I'll come to you. You guys have bitchin trails in Washington. Went to the Naches years ago in my Willyz. 

I'm going to start a thread in the 720 section. Not much of a build thread as just place to keep notes of what I'm doing. If I remember to keep it up. I'm shitty about that.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well..........the tires I put on right before the Shasta trip are SHOT! So it's been parked till I get my front end done. I need to get my new mounts figure out and built. I can't do that till I pick up some new steer knuckles. I'm thinking I'm going to get some Crown Vic, (P-71) knuckles and build from there. The brakes available for them is outstanding, 5x4.5 bolt pattern. The location for the sway bar end links are PERFECTLY located. I have tried to get a rough idea of Steering inclination angle in the wrecking yard and think it might just work out. 

The 720 is still sitting at my uncles in the prune orchard. It's not going anywhere.  :thumbup:

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...

I think it's too loud right now. I installed the header after port matching it, ran 2 1/4" exhaust pipe to a flowmaster muffler I found laying in the road.  :rofl: It is a 2 1/2" in and out with no tail pipe. IT IS LOUD! Watching the video makes me laugh. In the cab it sounded like it was about to come apart between shifts, yet the video sounds like I just went for smokes. Time for a tach I guess. 

I'll try to have it ready for next weekend. 

And thanks for posting this for me. 

• Like 1

Well..........the tires I put on right before the Shasta trip are SHOT! So it's been parked till I get my front end done. I need to get my new mounts figure out and built. I can't do that till I pick up some new steer knuckles. I'm thinking I'm going to get some Crown Vic, (P-71) knuckles and build from there. The brakes available for them is outstanding, 5x4.5 bolt pattern. The location for the sway bar end links are PERFECTLY located. I have tried to get a rough idea of Steering inclination angle in the wrecking yard and think it might just work out. 

The 720 is still sitting at my uncles in the prune orchard. It's not going anywhere.  :thumbup:

2003+ crown Vic's have a bolt in aluminum front cross member with all the rack and control arm mounts minus the lower rear. Depending on the width of your frame rails this may be an easy way forward. It's a popular swap with old ford f100s.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

OK, I SUCK AT UPDATES! I would much rather spend time working on something or reading about your stuff than screw around with photobucket. 

BUT, I brought my donor car home.  :D

20160703_232455_zpsb7sqkkaw.jpg

Pulled the oily 147K mile engine out and proceeded to clean. 

On the stand and ready to make anyone who even looks at it get oily hands.

20160710_231609_zpseropevhf.jpg

Pretty sure this oily mess was created by PS. The car was hit pretty hard on the pass side front hard enough to push the inner fender in about an inch. Made getting the engine out fun. 

20160710_231555_zpsznm7qdbq.jpg

Why I think it was possibly the PS.

20160714_234441_zpsp459i9eh.jpg

Gave it a bath and started playing with the intake. First off, It needed turned around. As luck would have it, you can simply turn the lower portion of the manifold around. 

20160710_231718_zpsrx4priev.jpg

20160714_232258_zpsnfqj1vzi.jpg

A few things up top to address. Radiator hose connections @ engine end. There were options depending on drive config. Fuel line config/layout. I want them to enter and exit at the right rear of the block. Along with the heater hoses.......which need to be modified as well.

• Like 4

Found a throttle body VG D21 at the pick a part yesterday. Grabbed most of the cooling outlets that go to the radiator and heater core. I must have left one of the heater hoses on the ground when I left. Oh well, I need to go back and get the exhaust manifolds. 

Upper and lower radiator outlets on.

20160717_015548_001_zpsybvpnpme.jpg

I spent most of the morning today screwing with the fuel return line.This was when I first mounted the thermostat housing. I'm not very happy with how it looks right now. I think I'm just going to build my own return line and have it exit at the rear.

20160717_015603_004_zpsdtvqxldp.jpg

Also have one of the heater core feeds mounted. Also from the D21. The other one is going to have to be made. 

20160717_015700_zpslnosjx4k.jpg

• Like 3

Just figured I'd share what else I'm doing in the garage.  :rolleyes: Trying to decide how much I am going to do on the intake. Pretty much everything on the upper plenum wound up being on the same side as the distributor. If I'm going to clean shit off I may as well relocate too. 

• Like 3