Another 620 for Jester

Jester

Not much to report as an update. Truck has been running pretty good. 

I did however manage to find a free KC cab to do my mock up for the VG swap. I think the boy and I are going to do a chop top on it just to practice. You know, just in case we want to chop the blue one. The red one is pretty rusty and bent in the front end, otherwise I would just chop it and swap cabs. 

Now I just need to find a free/cheap frame and I'll be set to start getting serious. 

20140627_192448_zpsp8wz97yd.jpg

Got a couple thumbs up and even had one gal take a picture of me on the freeway. Made me laugh. 

• Like 6
  • Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

This last winter snow brought down the Costco shelter that I had in the back yard. I have been hunting for a better "shop". Found a local seller of metal garages that quoted me 4K for a 24X36 with 12' eve hight. I was planning on gravel for the floor till my lovely wife said BS, just pour it.  YES DEAR! Calling a buddy of mine to get a price on the floor. 

• Like 5
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I ended up pulling the head off the truck a couple weeks ago to replace the head gasket. I had a oil leak between the head and block. Also found a head bolt that had pulled the threads out. Fixed that but then started playing with the head. I started off just matching the gaskets. Figured I might as well take the valves out and see how they look. I assumed the WHOLE engine was done. WRONG! They just stuck the shitty wore out head on a fresh bottom end. Oh well. Well shit, we're in this far, lets clean the transition from seat to head. I obviously don't have a flow bench so I probably SHOULD HAVE stopped right there. I didn't. I decided to open the ports a little bit on the short side radias and open the roof just a touch. A buddies kid works at a local machine shop. Going to have him put in 280Z intake valves, new guides and seats as well. I still have some polishing to finish before I can send it in. That and some money to spend.  Also thing I am going to send in my other factory L20 cam for a regrind.

In the mean time I have been sitting in my garage looking at my truck trying to figure out how to make the front have a more sinister appearance. This morning I noticed that the left side is out of adjustment.

20141101_100228_zpsfawo6jl8.jpg

20141101_100144_zpswomj9lhp.jpg

20141101_100418_zpstvfinjxy.jpg

This is what I found upon further examination.

20141101_100545_zps5at21bgm.jpg

20141101_100602_zpsqpqmjkgq.jpg

I'm guessing that at some point this baby hit a tree or something. Someone replaced from mid right inner fender well all the way to the end of the left inner fender. Looks like they left the core support in tact of the new piece.

Being a '79 it came with the round port exhaust manifold. If anyone has a cheap HEADER they want to sell, let me know please. 

• Like 4
  • 1 month later...

OK, so I'm slow. Guess I spend too much time reading everybody else's threads. 

I have been working on the head getting it ready to go. I decided to stay with the factory size intake valves and go with a fairly healthy cam. I went with Oregon Cam Grinding's #0086. .465 Lift @ 260* duration. I really didn't do a lot on the ports. Trust me, I REALLY wanted to. It would be fun to have access to a flow bench and play. Nope, stayed stock shape just cleaned up all the casting flash and did some blending. 

Dropped off the head at the machine shop yesterday for a complete overhaul. I left them with everything except the lash pads. When I told him I didn't have any just laughed, "That's OK, I have plenty. 

20141215_170151_zpswbhji2cq.jpg

20141215_170158_zpsth9uemsp.jpg

20141215_165916_zpsyvxzzhwy.jpg

More to come when I get head back.   

• Like 4

Exploded view of what use to be a clutch fan on a water pump. I have an electric fan that is going on. No sense wasting a perfectly good pump. 

20141217_142414_zpsqaxldpja.jpg

All trimmed up and ready for paint. 

20141217_143408_zpsqkzrjmqm.jpg

All said and done, only 2.5" tall.

20141217_143438_zpsvlwuldoh.jpg

• Like 3

Not much Wayno, but yes.

DB, this is the head I started with. I decided against the 53 because it had already been cut once and needed a serious cut to get those gouges out. Either head needed an overhaul, mine just didn't need welded. Oh well, I said ya.  :rofl:

Not much Wayno, but yes.

DB, this is the head I started with. I decided against the 53 because it had already been cut once and needed a serious cut to get those gouges out. Either head needed an overhaul, mine just didn't need welded. Oh well, I said ya.  :rofl:

Well that sucks , the other head i already had would of worked .

dude get that thing back to me and i will take it back to him , or not either way i will my cash back out of him . im sure i will have other stuff you'll want eventually .

• Like 2