Techno upper hats

Sealik

Just bought a pair these hats for my struts....

Technotophats_zpsaf65392c.jpg

As you can see in this pic.....

P2160002_zpsdcb49c4a.jpg

The hat fits well at this position of the insert....but...when it's assembled it's going to be sitting on the smaller/higher portion of the insert.

Which.....will leave a little bit of play between the two.

Camber plate is sitting at 'installed' height.

Am I missing something?....or...is this just the way it is.

Thoughts?.....

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"Even if the insert shaft was a constant diameter, how is the strut supposed to articulate in that setup?"

...............................................................................................................................................................................

Well...I would assume that is through the bearing in the top hat and the bearing in the camber plate.....?.....

P2160005_zps82a93d5e.jpg

P2160009_zps38f7a8d8.jpg

Not a good 'pic' when I compressed the setup.....but...you can see the top hat bearing riding on the underside of the T3 

P2160007_zpscd7a1902.jpg

Looks like the thrust bearing is wedged against the camber plate.  So what happens when you go over a bump, the LCA swings up, pushing the strut bottom outward and the strut travels in an arc with the camber plate pillow ball bearing as the axis?  The trust bearing race just grinds against the camber plate?

I have the same issue. When I asked T3 about this they said it's common and when compressed that small gap will not be noticed. 

That's what they told me. When it's under load there will be no clunks or handling issues. I have yet to install mine to test. But I have the same issue. 

I'm not worried about it. And no your not missing anything.

What strut inserts are you using?

Tokico ...gas

HZ 3038

Now I just have to figure out which springs to install

The 8"/250lb....or the 6"/200lb

Wondering if 10W30 synthetic oil is okay for filling the struts????

It's all I have lying around at the present moment

I got 7 inch and have them crank all the way down to get the look i want.

would you think thicker oil be better since its stiffer springs?

200 should be fine.

I guess it's all relative to the length of the sleeve and where it is placed on the strut.

My 5" sleeve is approx 3/4" from the top of the ZX strut.

Probably shoot for 2-3" below stock ride height.

The oil is for the strut core.....to dissipate heat away from the insert

Some use antifreeze......some use ATF etc.

Gonna try some canola.....lol

• 2 weeks later...

Sooooo...other than antifreeze, what is everyone filling their struts with?

I'm guessing any oil type/grade will suffice.

EDIT

A light engine oil is recommended...10W............. or ATF

Fill to approx 2" below top of strut.

Keep strut assembly upright prior to install.

Edited by Sealik

Personally I'm not running oil around mine....  Your last edit, where did that come from?  I haven't found any strut manufacturer that recommends it.

Byron510's post...

http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=23978

Thread from HybridZ

http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/24908-filling-strut-with-oil/

There are others.....

Strut inserts (cartridges) are sealed and you can't add oil. A small amount is required to go in the bottom of the strut tube before the insert is fitted, but it has nothing to do with shock damping attributes.

By contrast, stock 510 struts did not come with inserts. The had rebuidable struts and you could use various weights of oil to change the strut damping characteristics.

Still, sounds to me like a race car application only.  I've heard plenty of people say they do, but never a manufacturer.... It's my opinion that most people see the fluid in the stock units and assume the new inserts should have it too.  There really isn't that much heat build up under normal street driving to warrant it.  On the race track though, I could see a minimal benefit.  The new strut cap nuts that come with the new inserts have holes in them to let them breath.  I suppose, using the fluid isn't going to hurt anything, I'm just not convinced it's necessary.

That said, if it were me, I'd run oil.  Antifreeze, over time, will dry up and get all "gunky".

**edit**

I did get this from the second link you posted:

"Koni recommends adding 50ml of oil and Bilstein specifically says not to add oil with their inserts. You can add the oil, it won't hurt anything."

I would do it for this reason:  (especially since my KYB AGX inserts had to be shaved down just to fit in there):

"No, don't ever install them dry, they'll never come back out! I just coat the inside of the strut tubes and the inserts themselves with Redline HP CV2 grease. Haven't had a problem in years of racing, but then again the struts come in and out every couple years anyway."

Yeah, suppose I will try coating the inserts with oil or grease.... I don't see any reason for anything more than 10w30 though.

Back to the upper hat question;

I see Ground Control has a different style upper hat.  It has the fit I think you were expecting, but I don't quite see what they are using for a bearing....

http://www.ground-control-store.com/products/description.php/II=806

There are 2 bearings in the T3 setup.
One in the upper hat....and one in the camber plate.
I doubt the hat from GC will fit better to the T3 plate than the T3 hat ....?.......besides.....I do have their complete setup.
Just wasn't sure of the fit.... :)

Good to know on the nuts..lol....never realized vented gland nuts were provided by some manufacturers of inserts.
Leaves us with 2 scenarios...

Vented strut with no fluid.....heat escapes through the holes..but ..can be exposed to elements/water/rust...?... :confused:

Or

Sealed strut with oil or antifreeze.... running the 'stock' gland nut. The heat is transferred through fluid to outer casing.
No exposure.

Hmmm......moar research

I was set on going with the T3 setup myself, but I'm not sold on how the top hat sits against the camber plate. It seems at some point the top hat would slide against the camber plate and the strut rod would hit the top hat... I'm just bumping this hoping to get some more opinions on that matter. Or, maybe someone has inspected their setup to see if there is any noticeable wear marks... Sealik what did you end up deciding on it?

My 1200 racecar has the T3 style top hats with the "flat" bearing.

I personally like the T3 design. The spring/top hat is supported by the bearing against the underside of the camber plate. If the top hat is shaft mounted, all the vehicle load is supported by the spherical bearing in the camber plate. The T3 design uses the spherical bearing for just the shock loads, not the sprung load of the vehicle. 

An Aurora COM-12 (3/4") monoball bearing has a radial load capacity of 31,920lbs. In a camber plate application it is in an axial load situation which is only 20% of that or 6,384lbs

6,384lbs sounds like plenty, but when you are talking about suspension components most engineering standards use a 10x safety factor, so if you have 600lbs on your front tire, that means the suspension needs to be designed to hold 10x's that or 6,000lbs. With the 10x safety factor, you are close to your limits on the COM-12 bearing if all the load from the spring hat is being transferred directly to the spherical bearing.

The sprung load being transferred to the camber plate is why I like the T3 top hat design.

• Like 2

My 1200 racecar has the T3 style top hats with the "flat" bearing.

I personally like the T3 design. The spring/top hat is supported by the bearing against the underside of the camber plate. If the top hat is shaft mounted, all the vehicle load is supported by the spherical bearing in the camber plate. The T3 design uses the spherical bearing for just the shock loads, not the sprung load of the vehicle. 

An Aurora COM-12 (3/4") monoball bearing has a radial load capacity of 31,920lbs. In a camber plate application it is in an axial load situation which is only 20% of that or 6,384lbs

6,384lbs sounds like plenty, but when you are talking about suspension components most engineering standards use a 10x safety factor, so if you have 600lbs on your front tire, that means the suspension needs to be designed to hold 10x's that or 6,000lbs. With the 10x safety factor, you are close to your limits on the COM-12 bearing if all the load from the spring hat is being transferred directly to the spherical bearing.

The sprung load being transferred to the camber plate is why I like the T3 top hat design.

That sounds like good technical advice to me!  I think my faith has been restored.  Thank you Dave!

As a side note, I did notice Ground Control's camber plates have a smidgen of positive caster built into them, vs T3 which do not...  Though the T3 plates look to have more camber adjust-ability.... unless the photos aren't the actual parts....

http://www.ground-control-store.com/products/description.php/II=659

https://technotoytuning.com/nissan/510/camber-plates-datsun-510

Just for comparison, here are the DP Racing camber plates with even more Caster built into them:

http://www.ermish-racing.com/online-store

Overall, I think I will stick with T3. 

Thanks for the post Sealik!  It helped me make my decision.  I hope it does for you as well.