DIY: Interior Vinyl Dye Color Change

HKS

When I purchased the car, the PO decided that a white and blue color combination would be the ultimate. Unfortunately, the 80's color selection was an eyesore and needed to be addressed. Rather than spend a ton of money redoing the interior, I decided to give Color Bond a try after talking to them at this years SEMA and was impressed with the results. I've used SEM vinyl and plastic dye in the past and was aware of how well it worked but this product is just as good or better in my opinion. And forget that Duplicolor stuff we wont go there. B)

IMG_8479_zpsa98746f5.jpg

The process took a total of a day and a half due to the fabric inserts that I wanted to keep blue. EYESORE!

IMG_8441_zps59bb8a0e.jpg

Purchased a quart to use with my spray gun. They also offer spray cans to make it easier but the amount of work that needed to be redone would add up to more cans than i care to count. In the end I ended up using a bit over half a can. They also offer carpet dye which dries to the touch while keeping the fabric pliable, not hard and caked on like spray paints or cheap dyes.

IMG_8486_zps30267b12.jpg

Cleaned off the surface using Pre

IMG_8488_zps3e973357.jpg

Used a soft scouring sponge to agitate the surface and remove any grime and contaminants that would affect proper bonding.Cleanliness is the key for proper adhesion!

IMG_8503_zps5a8b88f2.jpg

Now this is what took the most time; prepping the surface with tape and outlining the area between the fabric and vinyl using a paintbrush with Color Bond, getting in between the cracks and piping to give it a cleaner appearance.

IMG_8513_zpsa815b8df.jpg

Sprayed with 2  coats. I liked the fact that Color Bond quickly absorbs into the vinyl and can be handled in less than 1 minute. Notice that it retains the original vinyl texture/grain to give it a more natural appearance.

IMG_8530_zps7f92a7e3.jpg

Once the pieces were dried (which was not too shiny of a gloss as previously shown above), they were installed. Looks so much better!

IMG_8519_zps6c6ac7eb.jpg

Door panels were redone as well.You can literally paw at the surface and nothing will come off. I even tried using a screwdriver to test its durability. All in all, I was pleased with the final results and wont be embarrassed to drive the car once its up and running!

• Like 1
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks great!  The only thing to be careful about with ORIGINAL seats when doing a color change, especially the back seat, is cleaning with any wet solution.  I've had two rear seat assemblies "come apart at the seams" after wetting them down to clean them.  When the old ORIGINAL stitching gets wet, it can simply disintegrate, thus popping the seams!  I just had to have an upholstery shop re-stitch the seams, but it was a pain!

And definately use a matte black dye/paint, as the gloss black is very glossy, and not necessarily suited to the classic cars!

• Like 2

Looks great!  The only thing to be careful about with ORIGINAL seats when doing a color change, especially the back seat, is cleaning with any wet solution.  I've had two rear seat assemblies "come apart at the seams" after wetting them down to clean them.  When the old ORIGINAL stitching gets wet, it can simply disintegrate, thus popping the seams!  I just had to have an upholstery shop re-stitch the seams, but it was a pain!

And definately use a matte black dye/paint, as the gloss black is very glossy, and not necessarily suited to the classic cars!

The OEM stitching appears to be straight cotton and will deteriorate from sun and smog.  When I reupholstered my seats I used color matching polyester thread.  Much better for the long life situation.

• Like 1

Yup, cotton!  The last time I did that, I actually "heard" the threads popping before I saw it, knew what it was, and walked away for a 1/2hr before I could bring myself to look at the seat.  The seat was perfect.........before the stitching let loose. :sneaky:  Quick visit to the upholstery shop, but still gut wrenching!

• 6 months later...