collar? clutch? which ones wrong??? whats right??

slowdown

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This tells us nothing. What are you asking about? The transmission does not enter the equation. The part number on the box could be anything, it doesn't help and I have no idea without more info.

The clutch collar, sleeve or sometimes it's called a housing's size is matched to the clutch pressure plate size.

You don't say but you have a 521 listed as your vehicle. Can I assume that it has the stock L16 in it? If so it should have a 200mm clutch and a matching clutch collar so use your old collar with a new bearing.

so I've got a a lightened fly wheel hmm the the trans is a 76 z i think not sure if its a dogleg? new clutch supposed to be for the trans but i could have ordered the wrong one? the short collar is the truck collar which dosent work the long i got out of a friends z that im not sure which year and sorry bout the measuring tape im not up to speed with a mic an all that not sure mm but my problem is the fork is not actuating the clutch it starts to move but hits it right at the end of the window in the trans so i think ive got the wrong collar or wrong clutch??? any help would be awsome if not shes been in the garage for a few years i think she likes it there?? ahhhhhh hurrumph 

I understand. Ignorance does not mean dumb.

The clutch never matches the transmission.

The clutch can only match the bolt pattern on the flywheel. The collar stays with the clutch it's intended for so what ever collar may have came with the transmission you can set on a shelf and forget about it.

The collar you need is what ever was on your (I assume) 521's L16. The L16 only came with a 200mm clutch. You can remove the pressure plate and measure across the friction disc but it should be 200mm or 7.88".

BTW you have an FS5W71B 5 speed. It's not a dogleg and it's a newer post '80.... probably from a 280zx. So if from a '76 it's been swapped before.
photo3.jpg

heck yeah thanks mike the only thing is the one out of the 4 speed is shorter and i would think would equal less throw?? ill try it again.. and the clutch is new exeedy unit not the old 4 speed clutch...

The three different clutches are 200mm, 225mm and 240mm. All have different diaphragm finger heights above the flywheel.

In order for the clutch arm to remain working in the same general location on it's fulcrum point but still reach the varying finger heights, the release collar length length is varied to compensate. In very simple and general terms a taller 225mm pressure plate will use a shorter collar that a shorter 200mm pressure plate.

The Exedy clutch should match the old one or they would send a replacement collar to match.

• 1 year later...

That would depend totally on the pressure plate diameter you bolted on the flywheel. The L20B flywheel could have been drilled and tapped to accept three different sizes of clutch assemblies from the factory.... 200mm, 225mm and 240mm.

Measure across the width of the fiction surface on the flywheel and this will tell you the clutch size that will bolt on. It's the shiny part below. This is not a good picture but will do. The ruler is crooked but if moved 1 centimeter to the right it would be exactly 225mm

225mm5bolt.jpg