MattyHacks' Bamboo Tan 510

Old gas smells putrid and sweet, like varnish. Drain it out. Like I said, there's an access hole underneath the trunk that allows you to get at the drain plug on the fuel tank. Get yourself a large container and drop that junk out. And BE CAREFUL! It may be old, but it's still EXTREMELY flammable!

Then blow all the lines out... 

• Like 1
  • Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure how long the gas tank in mine had been sitting(15-20yrs, I believe), but after the syrup was done draining, the tank was still heavy. I pulled it out and opened it up. After a good pressure washing, there were solid chunks the size of golf balls sitting around. I was amazed at what was in there.

Well, if it's not entering the carb, then it may be a stuck needle. The jets are inside the carb, and simply regulate the amount of fuel that enters the intake. Either way, if the carb has been sitting for 10+ years, a rebuild isn't a bad idea.

A thought just occurred to me; if there was no fuel filter, some old junk from the tank/fuel line may very well have been sucked into the needle and seat and is plugging it. Check that out.

Like micro suggested I'm going to rebuild the carb, I pulled it off and the gaskets are pretty gross. I'm having a hard time finding a rebuild kit for the 32/36 DGV... I've asked a bunch of local places and have came up with nothing, and I really don't want to order off ebay. Anyone know where I can get one?

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Hooray for parts! Got my rebuild kit and air cleaner as well as some rear brake parts from new-datsun-parts.com (awesome experience dealing with them). My adjusters are seized at the moment but hopefully they'll free up, got to take the drums somewhere to get turned because my work doesn't have a lathe. Also I'll be getting some suspension parts soon (camero shocks and better condition springs for the rear, and 200sx struts for the front) all at a hard to beat price from co worker. Trying to get motivated and movin', but its difficult when you gotta work outside in the cold/dark  :sneaky:

Enough complaining!

IMG_4265_zps4e9835bb.jpg

Cheers 

Sunday update :lol:

Pulled the carb apart and "rebuilt" it using the redline kit. Gave everything a real good clean using seafoam and a scotch pad then used air, made sure all the jets weren't clogged.

20131221_145035_zps4c407275.jpg?t=138774

The guts all pulled apart. I used this from a supra forum as a general guide line http://www.mk3supra.org/topic/561-guide-rebuilding-a-weber-3236-dgav-carb/

IMG_4269_zps8c215195.jpg

Clean, reassembled and reinstalled

IMG_4271_zps5b4bcc71.jpg

IMG_4276_zps70060259.jpg

And.... IT RUNS! A vid after it had warmed up

http://s1318.photobucket.com/user/mattyhacks/media/20131222_120141_zps5074f3d0.mp4.html

I tried tuning it a little bit but as you can see it still hesitates if you give it quick throttle, I'm not sure why this is? And it was leaking where I pointed the camera but it stopped.

IMG_4284_zpsde9487a0.jpg

IMG_4289_zps99f8d475.jpg

Very gratifying day!

Cheers

• Like 2