MattyHacks' Bamboo Tan 510

By the pictures of your carb it doesn't have any choke or linkage of any kind.. Looks to be removed.

Top picture ,, yes filter goes there, you should be able to find the exact style that futs there pretty easy.

Bottom is a water line,, if you have the parts guy walk you to the back they usually have a large selection of weird hoses that can be made to fit nicely..

I also feel that there should be a filter there judging by the look of that clamp and its proximity to the split in the fuel line
IMG_4215_zps714d1b4e.jpg
Also this kinked ass (vacuum?) line
IMG_4209_zpsf7e22472.jpg
Hacked wiring

Cheers

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, great find on this one!  The Weber will have the throat size (ie 32/36 or 38/38) stamped somewhere around the side of the lower carb mounting flange (where you see that red paint splattered).  You will need this # to buy a rebuild kit.  And yes, the choke flaps & shafts appear to have been removed.

If I'm not mistaken, that 2nd fuel line was for residual fuel back to the gas tank..........the Weber carb does not have that fuel "exit" nipple, so it can't be hooked back up (don't worry about it!).  If you end up detailing your engine compartment, just cut that tube back just under the inner fender well, and cap it there so you can not see it.   

I have seen the chokes get removed from very old Webers because the holes the shaft rides in get elongated and cause the choke to bind. It looks like that is the case in the pics? I don't know of a fix for that. If you want a choke you may need to get a new carb with fewer miles. If the holes are still round, look for an old parts carb to scavenge the choke pieces off of. Buying them new won't be cheap.

Oh yeah and I'm jealous of your sweet 510.  :w00t:

I think this would be worth more stock but that lowered one look cool too. stock hubcaps look good on slammed car

Byron 510 and his crew are up north and they can help out. the510realm website.

has gas??? pump may go bad if dryed out.

that kinked line is a water line not a vauum line but I think you know this. nissan made a U shaped hose for this buy might not be aval anymore.  there is another water line that dont use the U shaped hose but you need to plug the lower stat housing. be hones most of these breack if trying to remove so get new ones if possible before tearing apart as the cast alum will crack esp getting the temp sender out.

use anti seize on evrything dont be cheap and lazy it helps later on

IMG_4197_zps3713310d.jpg

Choke butterflies have been removed. Hard cold starting. Summer car just pump gas twice and it should fire up. You will have to keep on the gas untill warmed enough to idle by itself. This is what the choke does.

IMG_4209_zpsf7e22472.jpg

This is the thermostat by pass hose. Get rid of the kink however you can... this is just wrong.

IMG_4215_zps714d1b4e.jpg

No filter? No wonder it won't start. What's to stop dirt getting into the carb?

IMG_4205_zps37e52e7c.jpg

Return line. The weber does not have a provision for it. It's nice to have but not essential unless you have hot weather vapor lock. Hard re starting a hot motor in the summer.

So my fuel pump seems to be working! I had a water bottle of gas post filter/pre pump and a coffee can post pump/ pre carb and it ran it through! So my problem is somewhere before the fuel filter.

So Ratsun I ask you this, what would be the best and easiest way to clean out the lines? I'm assuming I should drain the tank as well. Is there a drain plug?

Cheers

If the tank was full of gas when it was moth balled, chances are you have issues in the lines and probably varnished up gas in the tank. How long was it sitting? There is a drain plug on the bottom of the gas tank with a hole below it(from below the trunk) that you can drain out the old stuff with. If it's been long enough, you may, unfortunately, have to remove the fuel tank and clean it out with a pressure washer, hot tank, etc.. Luckily, the fuel tanks are easily removed.

Congrats on the great find, by the way. Please do not dye the brown interior; it's probably my favorite, and yours is pristine.

If the tank was full of gas when it was moth balled, chances are you have issues in the lines and probably varnished up gas in the tank. How long was it sitting? There is a drain plug on the bottom of the gas tank with a hole below it(from below the trunk) that you can drain out the old stuff with. If it's been long enough, you may, unfortunately, have to remove the fuel tank and clean it out with a pressure washer, hot tank, etc.. Luckily, the fuel tanks are easily removed.

Congrats on the great find, by the way. Please do not dye the brown interior; it's probably my favorite, and yours is pristine.

I was sitting for 10+ years as far as I know

Old gas smells putrid and sweet, like varnish. Drain it out. Like I said, there's an access hole underneath the trunk that allows you to get at the drain plug on the fuel tank. Get yourself a large container and drop that junk out. And BE CAREFUL! It may be old, but it's still EXTREMELY flammable!