MattyHacks' Bamboo Tan 510

Oh hai, here's an update on Bamboozle.

Pulled the head off, and plugged the leaking coolant ports with some 1/4 pipe plugs. I got them in as far as I confidently could, but they still stuck out quite a bit. Using a couple of different pads on the die grinder I got it flush with head surface.

IMAG2456_zpss0k0h14r.jpg

IMAG2489_zpsfzyglltg.jpg

IMAG2493_zpsluug15wg.jpg

IMAG2494_zpsijorjutu.jpg

IMAG2495_zpsjabwgg4b.jpg

IMAG2499_zpst6ompsxg.jpg

IMAG2501_zpskw26u2jb.jpg

Pulled out the cam and the rockers, at this point the head went to the machine shop for some decking and valve stem seals.

IMAG2487_zpss4yeehbk.jpg

Got it back, installed a L20b cam, and new studs.

IMAG2503_zpsessg5emh.jpg

New headgasket, got the head back on, also couldn't wait to install the new canon intake and the 40s :D

IMAG2510_zpsnecxwmtb.jpg

When I was braking down the head this fitting for the heater core sapped off, and a wrecked the threads drilling it out, so I got the machine shop to drill and tap the head out to a 1/2 pipe thread, and got a couple brass fittings to replace it with.

IMAG2520_zpsa1xswx6k.jpg

IMAG2522_zpsitnwgsgr.jpg

IMAG2524_zpsqdjarkfg.jpg

All back together

IMAG2527_zps4o9fupg9.jpg

Oh and it idles! Linkage still isn't function and the carbs need to be tuned, and I have no stacks or filters....and theres no muffler so its loud as fuck even at idle.

http://vid1318.photobucket.com/albums/t657/mattyhacks/Mobile%20Uploads/VIDEO0086_zpsbec1uzcv.mp4

Cheers

• Like 7
  • Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure if any of you guys are into this kind of stuff but I find it really neat. I have literally every receipt from the original and second owner of my car, the OG especially, they kept everything...

Owners manual, ownership card and warranty/service booklet

owners%20man_zpspqcmo73y.jpeg

book_zpsl7lntw2p.jpeg

Original sales receipt!! $2706.75 what a bargain!

Paint code 529, if I'm not mistaken that's bamboo tan  B)

sales%20receipt_zpsw9nlbxd9.jpeg

Some work done at the dealer in the early 70s

sinclair1_zpsyuvwwqif.jpeg

sinclair2_zpsfgkeoofc.jpeg

She was hit 2 or 3 times from the receipts I have, here's the first one in 1981

accident_zps2vo1xikx.jpeg

A battery in '74

battery_zpsifpxrmwx.jpeg

Lastly this is the current body works receipt, they put the car away soon after

body%20work_zpsh2twb7bj.jpeg

^says no paint, they went somewhere else cheaper :lol:

Just tons of receipts! Like I said, they kept EVERYTHING. Fricken old people

IMAG2540_zps5fbzxo4s.jpg

Boring crap, sorry for wasting your time dearest reader  :fu:

Cheers

• Like 3

I do.Dave sold his 510 quite a while back.Josh on Shawnigan lake had it for a few years. I bought it off him it had been neglected and pushed aside. Towed it home got it running etc. Sold it when we moved here(had 4 510s at the time 2011)

Did she mention Dean or Chris there was quite a few of us back in the late 90s early 2k that did runs all the time.Most got all domesticated. And the 510s sat. Or were sold .

Stil l have 2 and the wife's s110.

Dean still has his.Chris kind of disappeared lol.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

My goon came with six or so small note pads listing every time the previous owner got gas. Gallons, mileage, fuel cost. Needless to say, all of the service info was also there. People once cared about stuff.

That is unnecessary and awesome haha!

The car is driving, but I'm dealing with the problem of sealing the lower thermostat housing to the head. Tried silicone, gasket, and both. Still ends up leaking and bubbling coolant on the exhaust manifold.

I did get these in the mail. dellorto.co.uk has  a good selection of velocity stacks, slide in bolt on whatever, they've got them and shipping is quick!

IMAG2578_zpskaff9xvm.jpg

This is the piece I'm talking about, side on the head above the exhaust mani.

$_35.JPG

I used black RTV on both sides of a gasket I made from blue gasket paper. Was sealed until I got the motor pretty hot then it started to leak.

Any suggestions for sealant?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Been buying fancy stuff recently.

Heat shield from T3

IMAG2782_zpsj2xc15oi.jpg

Modified the PCV tube

IMAG2787_zpsq55muxco.jpg

Looks good, got the stacks on too
IMAG2794_zpsejh7bkq0.jpg

Basically I wasn't trusting the stock dummy gauge, so I picked up this autometer gauge set so I could monitor some stuff better.

Conveniently there are two holes under the ash tray that line up perfect with the gauge mount. 

IMAG2795_zpsjcj2bklo.jpg

IMAG2796_zpsaml0qjaz.jpg

IMAG2798_zpsancuwqpt.jpg

Got this Nardi for cheap, pretty sure it isn't fake

IMAG2785_zps3ppnd8po.jpg

Need to figure out a different tach, this cheapo one looks tacky (pun intended)

IMG_6759%20Large_zpsio87hdh4.jpg

For the new temp gauge, I used this cast iron upper thermostat housing that I bought for no reason about 3 months ago, it has a threaded hole in it from what I understand, was for something emissions related on the later motors. Had to drill the hole out bigger for the fitting. This way I still have my stock dummy gauge.

IMAG2783_zpsznnt1tu6.jpg

For the oil pressure gauge, being its mechanical I had to find somewhere to plumb the nylon line into. Decided the easiest thing to do was utilize stock pressure sender location. Used a 1/8" BSP to 1/8" NPT adapter, to a T fitting. Bought a standard 5-8 PSI 1/8" NPT sender (less than 15 bucks at Lordco) to keep the stock dummy light. No pics on the motor sorry, looks a little bulky but not awful overall.

IMAG2790_zpsk7psanlb.jpg

• Like 5

Here's whats to come, more fancy stuff.

Techno Toy Tuning front coilover sleeve kit with 250 rate springs and some used Cusco camber plates.

IMAG2806_zpstis2amqo.jpg

IMAG2773_zps3fpyytab.jpg

I'm quite impressed by how nice the coilovers are^ Gabriel at T3 is great, anyone that has dealt with them will know they are more than willing to answer any questions, and in my case, help you problem solve and figure out what you'll need to make your parts work.

And this was exciting, won these Watanabes pretty cheap. 14x6.5 +15 I think will work nicely on the front, after test fitting these I'll go ahead and order another pair probably 7" wide for the rear. I've got connections with a paint shop so they'll get repainted the factory satin black.

wats1_zpskx7xomso.jpg

• Like 4

those wheels are cool.

The oil line is correct what you have wit the T to run the stock lamp also.  But use a Autometer brand if you run a plastic line.  I know autogauge is cheap Taiwan if not china by now stuff. The Cheap lines will crack over time due to heat cycles when you touch them later(I know!!!!!!!!!!)  One Datsun I had a big braded line was fast response but over 20years this too failed me and when back to stock sender as I would want this breaking on a long trip.

the temp sender will or might give a false reading as your reading on the cold side of the state housing.  so when it opens youll read HIGH then when it closes will get cooler (but heating back up on the hot side and wont see that .  So I assume your going to keep the stock sender anyways and get a average from both.

• Like 1

those wheels are cool.

The oil line is correct what you have wit the T to run the stock lamp also.  But use a Autometer brand if you run a plastic line.  I know autogauge is cheap Taiwan if not china by now stuff. The Cheap lines will crack over time due to heat cycles when you touch them later(I know!!!!!!!!!!)  One Datsun I had a big braded line was fast response but over 20years this too failed me and when back to stock sender as I would want this breaking on a long trip.

the temp sender will or might give a false reading as your reading on the cold side of the state housing.  so when it opens youll read HIGH then when it closes will get cooler (but heating back up on the hot side and wont see that .  So I assume your going to keep the stock sender anyways and get a average from both.

Yeah I'd like to get some nicer looking line eventually. I do have more of the nylon but it looks tacky.

Yeah that's the plan.

• Like 1

I have 720 oil pressure and voltage gauges in my 510. Currently i have them in a 720 center console, but i don't think I'm keeping that.

I like them because of simple clean look and they match pretty well with the 510 gauges (and I already had then and I'm cheap). Plus the 720 sender is electronic, i don't like having an oil line into the cabin. It also controls the dummy light, all in one.

20160219_160843_zpst0ebxezs.jpg

20160219_160855_zpsbqh5yhz5.jpg

Wow this last photo sucks more than I thought it did.

20160219_160903_zpse1heno6q.jpg

• Like 1