Reindeer Killer

Eriks

Inspired by the many excellent threads about restoration projects on this site I thought I’d make one about this Wagon. I found it in Northern Finland and drove it 500 miles further north and into Norway where I live, probably making it the most northern 510 Wagon in the World today.

datsun-1600-5805179_l_7267cffaf08ef7de_z

It is a 1600 from 1971, and one of only seven 510 Wagons in the country. It was in daily use until a winter day in 1992 when a reindeer decided to cross the road in front of it. The guy I bought the car from described the event it like this: “Reindeer hit Datsun. Datsun won.”

datsun-1600-5805179_l_a253ddb3d0e35d5b_z

The reindeer got killed, but in the process it squashed the front of the car and rolled over the roof leaving a trail of dents.

datsun-1600-5805179_l_4289298bd0f27919_z

Strangely the accident is probably why the car exists today. It was too damaged to drive, yet too good to scrap. So the owner parked it behind his farm building while waiting for inspiration to fix it. Twenty years later he passed away. In the meantime the Wagon had become a desireable restoration project, and the owners son sold the car to an 18 year old lad looking for Datsun projects. The young lad replaced the hood and fenders and other parts to make it road worthy again. Then he decided to sell it to me to afford his other project, a 610 SSS.

• Like 2
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Inspired by the many excellent threads about restoration projects on this site I thought I’d make one about this Wagon. I found it in Northern Finland and drove it 500 miles further north and into Norway where I live, probably making it the most northern 510 Wagon in the World today.

datsun-1600-5805179_l_7267cffaf08ef7de_z

It is a 1600 from 1971, and one of only seven 510 Wagons in the country. It was in daily use until a winter day in 1992 when a reindeer decided to cross the road in front of it. The guy I bought the car from described the event it like this: “Reindeer hit Datsun. Datsun won.”

datsun-1600-5805179_l_a253ddb3d0e35d5b_z

The reindeer got killed, but in the process it squashed the front of the car and rolled over the roof leaving a trail of dents.

datsun-1600-5805179_l_4289298bd0f27919_z

Strangely the accident is probably why the car exists today. It was to damaged to drive, yet too good to scrap. So the owner parked it behind his farm building while waiting for inspiration to fix it. Twenty years later the owner passed away. The Wagon had become a desireable restoration project, and the owners son sold the car to an 18 year old lad looking for Datsun projects. The young lad replaced the hood and fenders and other parts to make it road worthy again. Then he decided to sell it to me to afford his other project, a 610 SSS.

All lucky events for you. 610SSS... would that be an L18 dual SUs and a long dogleg five speed?

That looks like it is in really good shape!  Looks like minimal rust issues, and very little sun damage on plastic and rubber parts!

I think collision damage is generally easier to repair than rust damage.  At least the metal is there, even if it is the wrong shape!.

• 3 weeks later...

Purchase day:  A photo of the previous owner and his Dad:

2013-09-03140601_zps318f6f3c.jpg

I got a closer look at the reindeer damage, and I did not feel comfortable with the look of the radiator support, worried that the frame had become out of allignment. But after test driving the car it ran very straight and nice.

DSC01125_zpsf26bf882.jpg

The car had no seat belts and almost no brakes, and I had to drive it 500 miles to get home. But once out on the road and enjoying the Datsun I didn't think to much about these details:) Another noteworthy observation was that the rear seat was missing, or more accurately, it had never been there. The 510 Wagon had only been sold in Finland as two seater cargo haulers.

IMGP5417_zpsd435b689.jpg

The L16 engine was running very well, but at times the clutch did not engage properly making gear shifts a hassle. The brakes improved by adding brake fluid. The parking brake was a different story - the wire was missing.

By the time i got home I had a long list of things that had to be fixed :)

• Like 1

I bought a nice, straight, rust free US version of that that was taken apart for a full restoration and abandoned. My girl wanted a wagon, so I told her she could have it. After telling me that she couldn't stand the color and was going to paint it green, I immediately turned around and sold it; couldn't let her do it. Such a great color..

Nice purchase! It looks like a solid wagon with an overcomer history.

• Like 1

That cargo rear is kina cool. Never seen that. What's under the deck? There is a void under the rear seat area that should be used for more storage. I'm curious to see if they utilized that space.

Here are some more photos of the cargo area. As you see the metal latch section for locking the rear seat to the floor was never installed. Also the seat mounts on the inner fenders are missing.

IMGP5418_zpsfea422b6.jpg

IMGP5416_zps719416a7.jpg

DSC01120_zps9bfe8c2f.jpg

• Like 1

Thats perfect!  I almost made this exact thing a few years back to make the ultimate road trip cruiser with a bed in the back.  The space under the cargo deck could house a couple of small suitcases or food.  Thats cool, I'f I ever see one, I'm going to grab it.  

• Like 1

IMGP5417_zpsd435b689.jpg

The L16 engine was running very well, but at times the clutch did not engage properly making gear shifts a hassle. The brakes improved by adding brake fluid. The parking brake was a different story - the wire was missing.

By the time i got home I had a long list of things that had to be fixed :)

I love to fold my seat up into the cargo position...2 Seater Sports Wagon. :ninja:

This is solid? Does it not lift up?

Thats perfect!  I almost made this exact thing a few years back to make the ultimate road trip cruiser with a bed in the back.  The space under the cargo deck could house a couple of small suitcases or food.  Thats cool, I'f I ever see one, I'm going to grab it.  

Actually i did sleep one night in the car on my way home, but space was tight. My head was behind the drivers seat and my feet against the opposite corner of the back door. I'm 5'9, and for me that is not large enough for a road trip cruiser.

BUT (!) the wagon has a tow bar :)  and I have this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7OiHb8YlQU

• Like 1

I love to fold my seat up into the cargo position...2 Seater Sports Wagon. :ninja:

This is solid? Does it not lift up?

Yes, it is welded to the frame and does not lift up. However my plan is to remove it and install a rear seat. I've received a rear seat from from a very helpful guy in Oregon, and also receiving some valuable help gathering all the mounting parts as we speak.

• Like 1

LOL....whats shipping from Norway to Hawaii :confused:

Looks like this one is coming out. :angel:

• 1 month later...

The car has an ugly black plastic fuel tank cap, so I've been looking for a chrome one. I found three - the originals with and without key lock, and a rare aftermarked one from the 70s especially made for the 510 wagon and still in its original packaging.

IMGP5475_zps1ea7c94d.jpg

IMGP5419_zps9862dcad.jpg

• 7 months later...

Hi from Finland! I`m new here and signed in because this looks very nice forum!

I had to reply to this post because I saw that you have bought this wagon maybe very near from me...

I`m from Finland and live in Oulu(city), did you bought this Datsun from here?

I have also wagon with same colour! and here are some pics from inside to you to see what it should look from "back seats" B)  (maybe only in Finland?)

WP_000747_zps1084ec70.jpg

WP_000749_zps8460c449.jpg

WP_000750_zps679beb1b.jpg

What you think!

These wagons are 2-seaters in Finland and that "back-seat" is for "temporary ride for two persons" and all 510 wagons are registered to "delivery vehicle" because rating(taxes) issue. Those are imported only 1971.

• Like 1
  • 6 months later...

Cool, thanks for the photos. Yes, I bought the Wagon in Oulo, but I think the owner actually lived in Raahe. I've also bought a 610 SSS in Hyvinkää. 

Now I've got Norwegian plates on the Wagon. Due to old age I could get veteral plates and more or less choose my number. 

imagejpg3_zpscb7aa021.jpg

The first year I've mostly collected parts. A new rear bumper, proper summer and winter wheels, a Nismo steering wheel, and a new two color windscreen. But most of the parts are still on the shelf waiting for next summer. 

imagejpg7_zpsc2c52e43.jpg

imagejpg5_zps4a5825de.jpg