'70 510 Project, aka Kenny (was: my last 510)

Do you want something different?

Try House of color Candy tangerine over bare metal

And yes the have a special primer/bonding agent that clears over the bare metal

Don't have to use tangerine but any candy would be sick

I did a sand rail the panels this way and they came out bad ass and the handled the constant spraying of sand

Farmer

• Like 1
  • Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you want something different?

I think I'm pretty set on these two options. 

Try House of color Candy tangerine over bare metal

And yes the have a special primer/bonding agent that clears over the bare metal

I dig what James (the510keeper) is doing with clear-coated bare steel, but it's not really my style. 

But I appreciate the suggestions.  :thumbup:

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So...

One of my friends was looking for a 4dr 510, and with him not being very web-savvy, I offered to help. I put up a few WTB ads fishing for a 70-72 4dr. Got two solid leads. One of which I bought for him, and as you will now see, one of which I bought for myself...    ^_^

Awhile back I was in a bind and had to sell the '68 I was going to use for this project. Didn't really want to, but we do what we have to do to take care of family first. Being in a better spot now, I knew I had to get one soon before they get too hard to find. This car is the same year, exterior color (if not, it's SUPER close), and interior color as my last blue 4dr, so the decision as to color combo will be more easily made.   B)

20160326_192621.jpg

20160326_192639.jpg

20160326_192652.jpg

There's a hole about the size of your palm in the left front floor, but otherwise fairly rust free. I am beyond stoked...   :thumbup:

This will definitely be a complete rebuilding of my old car. Same color, same interior, etc. I'll do different wheels, but will probably stick with the dark blue centers with polished lips look. Got another airdam just like my old one, all the JDM badges from my old car, only this time going a few steps beyond.  B)

I am still waiting on the other special parts I need, so stay tuned. It's about to get awesome up in here...

Picture_117s.jpg

• Like 6
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Best. Junkyard. Score. Ever. 

Walking through the yard getting some parts and notice this BMW that just came in that had what looked like a brand new set of coilovers on it. Nabbed the fronts for $86.60 out the door. Got home and looked online and see that these cost $1200+ for a set of 4.   :huh:

So, I'm pretty stoked about that.  ^_^

20160620_193355.jpg

Springs are a decent rate, but a little on the short side. I think I can use regular old 2.5" springs in them, so we'll see if we need some that are taller/stiffer. 

Gonna go back and see if I can get the rears tomorrow. Looks like they might work as well... 

• Like 5
  • 2 weeks later...

Started work on the struts. Tops off...

20160702_091618.jpg

Bolt pattern for the top plate is about 5mm off, but I have a very trick solution for this. You'll have to wait and see though...   ^_^

20160702_091628.jpg

Got all the locking rings loose with the help of some pipe wrenches. I ordered the proper wrenches from BC, but they'll take a while and I didn't want to wait...   :rofl:

20160702_092500.jpg

Dug my 280ZX struts out of storage...

20160702_104212.jpg

Got all four stripped down and ready to go. Just need two for this project, though. The other pair went back in storage for another project down the road...

20160702_121913.jpg

Took those strut housings and cut the tubes off of them, leaving behind about 1.5" of the stock tube at the bottom. See, the BC coilover sleeve ID is almost identical to the 280ZX strut tube OD, so...  B)

Drilled some holes in the sleeves, pressed them onto the strut, then Tim did some welding for me...

20160702_124909.jpg

Came out good, and very straight...

20160702_130607.jpg

And now with the struts screwed into the tubes...

20160702_131438.jpg

From the top of the housing to the base of the strut is now 3/4" shorter than the 280ZX strut was stock. So more lows are possible.  B)

• Like 3

A lot of people like #200 springs for a soft street car with a L-series ... my #225 fronts were a tad stiff, but helped with being low. Hardly anyone runs softer than #200s, and some guys here will say you need #350 or higher, but don't do that.

• Like 1

A lot of people like #200 springs for a soft street car with a L-series ... my #225 fronts were a tad stiff, but helped with being low. Hardly anyone runs softer than #200s

Thanks!  :thumbup:

I have 200s in the 1200 and they are quite stiff. So I'm sure they will suit the more portly 510 very well.  ^_^

• 2 weeks later...