'70 510 Project, aka Kenny (was: my last 510)

Well, I hope it's the last. Sick of building nice 510s and never keeping them...  :rofl:

Since I want this to be the "keeper", it will probably feature some pretty crazy stuff. Details as they are available...

Wish me luck. I'm gonna need it.   :blush:

IMG_20131116_161936.jpg

Current plan...

Get it stripped down to a rolling shell

Flipped front crossmember

Rack-and-pinion steering conversion (got the parts, minimal fab)

RHD conversion (got the parts, minimal fab)

Paint the car, probably the stock yellow

Z31 4-piston front brakes

280ZX rear disc brakes

CV conversion in rear

Z20 engine with dual Mikunis and a custom equal length header (engine and header already built)

HL-A10 dogleg 5spd (got two)

And whatever else I can think of between now and then...  :rofl:

Like this, but probably with 16x8s...

TRA-Kyoto-510-06.jpg

• Like 4
  • Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice, good luck man!!

How do you do an RHD conversion on one of these?

I was witness to a very awesome RHD conversion a while ago. The guy (RC) literally drilled every spot weld out in the front end of the car, undid every seam and took the front end apart panel by panel on both cars (LHD and RHD). He then reassembled the RHD parts (like complete uncut firewall) into the LHD, and retained LHD VIN. It was themost legit conversion I have ever seen in my life, as if Honda themselves had done it.

How do you do an RHD conversion on one of these?

Follow along and see.  ^_^

I was witness to a very awesome RHD conversion a while ago. The guy (RC) literally drilled every spot weld out in the front end of the car, undid every seam and took the front end apart panel by panel on both cars (LHD and RHD). He then reassembled the RHD parts (like complete uncut firewall) into the LHD, and retained LHD VIN. 

I couldn't go that far.  :rofl:

I want a smoothed engine bay and firewall (got some "unusual" ideas for the engine bay aesthetics), so swapping firewalls on this car would be a waste. Also running Wilwood pedals with reverse masters so don't need any of the RHD firewall bits. And a rack conversion will slightly change how the column comes through the firewall anyway, so...

The way I do it will be interesting to say the least, but not ideal for most people. Lots of fab work ahead. 

The "easiest" way would be to acquire a RHD firewall and do what you described. Certainly if you want to keep it looking like it came that way. 

• Like 3

You can see the original pale yellow color here... 

20131121_161908.jpg

In person, it looks like it's the same color as my buddy Dennis' car...

calendar.jpg

Since this town ain't big enough for two yellow 4drs, I'm thinking I maaaaay slide down the paint code sheet a bit to this color...   B)

ms1.jpg

8supercoupe.jpg

• Like 1

You can see the original pale yellow color here... 

20131121_161908.jpg

In person, it looks like it's the same color as my buddy Dennis' car...

calendar.jpg

Since this town ain't big enough for two yellow 4drs, I'm thinking I maaaaay slide down the paint code sheet a bit to this color...   B)

ms1.jpg

8supercoupe.jpg

Wow, they both look awesome!

• 4 weeks later...