• Replies 677
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/25/2022 at 3:13 PM, datsunfreak said:

I know the Royal Knight, Black Knight, and Caballero, but have never seen a Caballero Diablo...  😄

Well, prepare to see two...

2v2aG1GYjx6Rah4.jpg

With her big sisters...

2v2aG1GPox6Rah4.jpg

Also... this junker '52 Hudson Hornet finally got finished...

2v2aGADeJx6Rah4.jpg

And I can't remember if I posted the '67 F100 service truck already, but the plow was a recent addition, so here it is. 

2v2aL5LF5x6Rah4.jpg

• Like 8

I've never finished a model. I am dissatisfied with most of the parts, and get lost in winding my own suspension springs and reconstructing every piece from brass stock.

Don't ask about the time I formed aluminum fenders for my Hot Wheels 510 sedan.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Slept on this kit forever, finally got one late last year. Hasegawa 1979 Nissan Sunny. Paint job was inspired by a 1994Nissan pickup I spotted online. Rust was inspired by Japan's soup-like coastal climate. The door markings were inspired by a conversation with coworkers about botched tattoos. 

2v2eaFkEGx6Rah4.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • 4 weeks later...
16 hours ago, angliagt said:

I like the Lime Green on the bus.Is the Ford one of the newer issues?

Here's my collection.Most bought new,but never built.I've got to figure out what I'm

going to do with them.

001.JPG

002.JPG

Wow, you have some really choice stuff! If you are asking about the Silver Ford Box, I believe that was issued in 1967

As much as I would love to have some of that, mainly the Jo Han stuff, ebay is your best bet if you want to sell it. 

Edited by Jesse C.
  • Like 3

I realize the AMT stuff is "classic," but goddam are those kits horrendous. I only break those kits out when I have extra tubes of filler and a lot of time to sand it. Awful parting lines, ugly chrome plating, etc.

I have one of the huge 1/16 AMT Shelby Cobra kits on the shelf, and I need to find "normal" size 1/16 tires before I put it together.

Edited by mainer311
4 hours ago, mainer311 said:

I realize the AMT stuff is "classic," but goddam are those kits horrendous. I only break those kits out when I have extra tubes of filler and a lot of time to sand it. Awful parting lines, ugly chrome plating, etc.

I have one of the huge 1/16 AMT Shelby Cobra kits on the shelf, and I need to find "normal" size 1/16 tires before I put it together.

Here you go! 

https://www.3dscaleparts.com/product-page/1-16-cobra-sunburst-wheels-with-tires

Edited by Jesse C.
  • Like 1
12 hours ago, Jesse C. said:

Wow, that's pretty cool. Unfortunately I want pin-drive Halibrands. I can cut the wheels down to the right width, it's the tires that might be a problem. I'll figure something out.

7 minutes ago, mainer311 said:

Injection molded plastic technology has made leap and bounds from the 60's when some of these kits were first issued. If you've ever built a modern Tamiya kit vs. a 60's AMT kit, you'd know what I mean. 

The problem with most of todays kits is that most of them are re issues that have been done over and over. The molds are tired and little has been done to fix them. Thus mold lines, flash and alignment issues will prevail. 

Round 2 has been fixing most of the issues, but some are still getting through. I have some original kits and they are very nice and sharp vs. re issues that have been done after several kit runs. 

Trust me, a Revell 1957 Chevy Bel Air original issue is so much better than the last blob they threw at us. And yes, Tamiya has become the standard and is pretty hard to beat. 

• Like 1

You're probably right. I don't think I've ever put an actual vintage kit together.

The Senna that I posted above was insane. Not a single drop of glue to put any of the windows in. The release of their GMA T.50 is imminent, and I can't wait to snag one.

Edited by mainer311
  • Like 1
On 2/7/2023 at 8:18 AM, mainer311 said:

Injection molded plastic technology has made leap and bounds from the 60's when some of these kits were first issued. If you've ever built a modern Tamiya kit vs. a 60's AMT kit, you'd know what I mean. 

Honestly, if you compared a new "american" kit from the big brands (which are all popped out in China now), it doesn't compare to even an old Tamiya/Hasegawa/almost any Japanese kit maker. I have some Hasegawa kits that are reissues on 70s kits (Bluebird Coupe, 1200 coupe, etc) that are super clean. Basic, but super well made.

Only nice "american" kits I've (personally) seen lately are from smaller companies like Trumpeter, but even some of those are made in China. 

• Like 1
On 2/7/2023 at 6:30 AM, Jesse C. said:

The problem with most of todays kits is that most of them are re issues that have been done over and over. The molds are tired and little has been done to fix them. Thus mold lines, flash and alignment issues will prevail. 

Round 2 has been fixing most of the issues, but some are still getting through. I have some original kits and they are very nice and sharp vs. re issues that have been done after several kit runs. 

Trust me, a Revell 1957 Chevy Bel Air original issue is so much better than the last blob they threw at us. And yes, Tamiya has become the standard and is pretty hard to beat. 

I checked out the Round 2 website. You're saying that they improve the kits? Looks like regular name brand stuff listed on their site.

2 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

I checked out the Round 2 website. You're saying that they improve the kits? Looks like regular name brand stuff listed on their site.

They have been restoring to flat out recreating kits. Better decals, bringing back parts options and the like. Cleaning up tooling has been a major move as well. They are not perfect by any means, and what do you expect from some molds being older than us! But they are getting better for the vintage builders out there. So until Tamiya makes a 1957 Chevy Bel Air, this is all we have. 

The Coronet kit was basically extinct until they retooled the body and some other parts. Yes, same style as original, but with better parts. 

Edited by Jesse C.
  • Like 3
2 hours ago, datsunfreak said:

Honestly, if you compared a new "american" kit from the big brands (which are all popped out in China now), it doesn't compare to even an old Tamiya/Hasegawa/almost any Japanese kit maker. I have some Hasegawa kits that are reissues on 70s kits (Bluebird Coupe, 1200 coupe, etc) that are super clean. Basic, but super well made.

Only nice "american" kits I've (personally) seen lately are from smaller companies like Trumpeter, but even some of those are made in China. 

The whole model history of these kits is too long and complicated to tell. But yes, some of the Asian kit makers have made, and still make excellent kits. The U.S. kit makers used to make some really nice stuff, and then the 70's hit. The 70's where sadly a dark time for model kits. Poor quality and cost where the issues. Then the renaissance began in the 80's, kit quality started improving and cool stuff came back. From then on it has gotten quite a bit better. New companies like Mobius have come in and started making some really nice stuff, that is on par with most Asian kit makers. Designed in the U.S. and molded overseas to keep cost down. 

As far as Trumpeter, they make crap, at least their car kits, and they are run and owned by the Chinese Military! 

• Like 1