• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#101 KELMO

KELMO

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,988 posts
  • Cars:71 Goon, 72 1200 coupe x 2, 69 F250

Posted 30 October 2017 - 09:57 AM

I have no idea how I could have missed this thread, just went through it and damn, what a transformation and inspiration.  Time to get the grey 1200 up and running so I can get working on the goon.

Damned fine goon you got there.

NISMO: Nissan Impresses Sluts More Often
"Well, primer gray IS a color..." (quote: Kelmo's wife)

#102 tr8er

tr8er

Datsun Mechanic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,039 posts
  • Cars:'71 PL510; 01 Frontier 4X4

Posted 30 October 2017 - 10:12 AM

It's a pretty great build

#103 volkswagner

volkswagner

SAM!!!!!!!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 11:38 PM

The race was a lot of fun for the first half of the day. The LSD was certainly a bit tricky to get used to. However, I could really notice the stiffer coil overs that were reinstalled in the rear. Much too stiff, but the real problem is their lack of droop. As shown by the fun pic below which sums the problem up neatly.
BQEB9eh.jpg?1

And whose that weaving through the back mine field?

qYxNzHy.jpg

Now, I said it was a lot of fun for the first half of the day. The fun ended when i heard the unmistakable rod knock of my bottom end after coming down the finishing straight away.

I *may* have used that nifty ignition timer to advance my spark a tad much..

Engine rebuild time! again :blush:

#104 volkswagner

volkswagner

SAM!!!!!!!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 08:57 PM

Yoink.

ImMrDgo.jpg?1

#105 ]2eDeYe

]2eDeYe

Bastard!

• User Administrator
  • 17,878 posts
  • Cars:78 620 KC, 77 620 KC, 72 CJ5, 04 G35 coupe mmmm

Posted 05 February 2018 - 06:37 AM

Are you sticking with an L or are you swapping in something a little more entertaining? 

Smokin' Joe's House of Datto's

gJv38AY.jpg
Member- *Japanese Trucking Association*

**DATSUN FAQ** ~ If ya know it, post it ~ If ya don't know it, learn it ~

ratsun.net rising sun stickers                     ratsun business cards order thread

620 KA24 Motor Mount Swap Brackets

1977 620 KingCab Deluxe KA24DE Swap - Refresh and cleanup
1978 620 kingcab 4x4 - KA24E SAS w/Dana 44 front and Toyota rear

1967 RL411 Station Wagon

Whenever I think that I'm out of my mind for putting this much time and money into an old Datsun, all I have to do is look some of your threads to know that I'm not nearly as whack as you are.

You're going to skin a few knuckles, stand up too fast and bump your head, hunt around the floor for the nuts and bolts you dropped, invent a few new cuss words and when you're finished you'll say "That wasn't so hard after all!"

#106 volkswagner

volkswagner

SAM!!!!!!!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 11:27 PM

Are you sticking with an L or are you swapping in something a little more entertaining? 

Well, last I posted the SR20VE was torn down and being test fit onto the RWD block. 
Then as they tend to do, funds dried up and that is exactly how the project has sat for the last 6 months.

Now it seems the Goon is forcing my hand.

My first plan was to just swap the L block and keep driving until I built up the VE. 
After a couple months and no motivation to start the L rebuild, I finally realized, I just don't want to. I've done it enough times and it's just too unsatisfying.

So the decision was made, NA SR20VE is going in next, even if it means the wagons is off the road for awhile.

The irony is that I tore the FWD assembly apart to swap on to the RWD block. Which would be fine If I didn't come in possession of these just after that.

lybhVKd.jpg?1
A KA tranny adapted to an L bell housing, and an adapter to fit a FWD SR20 to an L transmission.
This meaning that if I had these parts sooner I could have never tore it down in the first place. 

Oh well such is life. 

Now I have this pile of parts waiting for me to make some decisions and get started. RWD S14 DET block on the stand, VE FWD block in the bag under the bench, P11 head on the bench, cardboard box full of rebuild seal, rings, bearings, OEM HG, and 3 flip top bins and a milk crate full of VE and DET manifolds, accessories, engine internals, etc.
OZz45ZG.jpg

Really there are two routes RWD or FWD block. The RWD block requires a bit more modifications to build up and really doesn't give any benefits besides bolting up to a RWD tranny which I don't have. So since I am try to get this done as simply an cheaply as possible, here's the plan.

Stock FWD long block build up, I'll only get new bearings/seals for all my tear down build up efforts unfortunately.
Then chop the VE intake manifold flange and weld it to the DET manifold in order to get the throttle body oriented correctly.
DET exhasut manifold with down pipe run up the the turbo flange, not ideal but that can be on the short list for upgrading later.

Megasquirt to run the EFI. 

And then that leaves the components the will hit the firewall as the last big thing to sort out.
The CAS and the VVL solenoids.
I could cut pockets into the firewall but, that's obviously not my first choice.

Instead, I think I'll go with the solution TAARX offers for the CAS,  https://www.efisolut...t-sr16ve-sr20ve

They have a relocation kit for the solenoids as well, but I'm not a fan of the oil lines running everywhere, I'm gonna take a stab at my own adapter block.

Motivation  :D 
v9uYMB1.jpg

#107 volkswagner

volkswagner

SAM!!!!!!!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 11:49 PM

One of the oldest installed JBC kits and surely the dirtiest JBC crossmember in existence. Now on it's way out to make room for a Version 3 kit.

Don't worry though, the kit has plenty of life left and it's headed straight into Swamp Thing.

qgvGqwU.jpg

#108 ]2eDeYe

]2eDeYe

Bastard!

• User Administrator
  • 17,878 posts
  • Cars:78 620 KC, 77 620 KC, 72 CJ5, 04 G35 coupe mmmm

Posted 10 February 2018 - 06:42 AM

Gonna be one fast wagon. :devil:

Smokin' Joe's House of Datto's

gJv38AY.jpg
Member- *Japanese Trucking Association*

**DATSUN FAQ** ~ If ya know it, post it ~ If ya don't know it, learn it ~

ratsun.net rising sun stickers                     ratsun business cards order thread

620 KA24 Motor Mount Swap Brackets

1977 620 KingCab Deluxe KA24DE Swap - Refresh and cleanup
1978 620 kingcab 4x4 - KA24E SAS w/Dana 44 front and Toyota rear

1967 RL411 Station Wagon

Whenever I think that I'm out of my mind for putting this much time and money into an old Datsun, all I have to do is look some of your threads to know that I'm not nearly as whack as you are.

You're going to skin a few knuckles, stand up too fast and bump your head, hunt around the floor for the nuts and bolts you dropped, invent a few new cuss words and when you're finished you'll say "That wasn't so hard after all!"

#109 qship510

qship510

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Cars:'70 510 2 door, '71 4 door

Posted 10 February 2018 - 10:20 AM

Why use the KA transmission? Aren't the internals the same as a late 280ZX trans anyway? No driveshaft or crossmember mods that way

#110 Icehouse

Icehouse

wolf man

• User Administrator
  • 5,743 posts
  • Cars:57 VW SC - 59 210 - 64 VW camper - 2 68 510 2 dr - 70 bluebird coupe - 3 71 510 2 drs - 73 1200 ute

Posted 10 February 2018 - 10:53 AM

Can't wait to go for a ride!!!!!  hurry up Sam!  

We gotta find my extra B&M shifter for that trans!  

"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb."    Sam

#111 volkswagner

volkswagner

SAM!!!!!!!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 12:56 PM

Sorry, a bit of false advertising.

I'm actually planning on just leaving the Stubby 5 speed out of the 720 in there. I love the ratios. Except 5th could be taller. 
FWD SR and 5 spd, All on a Stock wagon drive shaft  :thumbup:  

Also forgot to point out that leaving the RWD block out means that once the NA is in there, I have the option to build up a turbo shortblock with an SR trans to headswap and drop in later if I go that route. All without taking the wagon off the road for very long.