When I got Freebird It had narrowly avoided being parted, cut, or crushed a couple times.
The main motivator of this project is to save a Dato.
I got the car when Jeff decided it would look better on the road than as driveway art.
This is how I found it.
The Engine bay was in pieces and the clutch was blown.
First a quick scrub down for motivation.
The L20 was reassembled and fired right up.
While it was up on jack stands to pull the tranny for the new clutch why not give it some lows.
Cut and welded the struts to fit VW inserts.
Blocked the Rear 3 inches.
Mild stance improvement.
Convinced the preggo-wife to help me wet sand the old paint to remove the layer of sludge.
Before on left, after on right
We also decided some pin stripes would spruce it up a bit.
The worst of the damage.
Put up a new home for the goon.
All this work got Freebird to a state of daily-driveability-enjoyability.
I am now commuting in the goon and having a blast.
Immediate future plans are to grind it down for a respray and clean up the interior.
It will be kept on the road as much as possible throughout the build since I enjoy vintage cars as much for how they drive as for how they look.
Most of the panels are pretty far gone so I am opting for as much new metal as possible.
Wolfman hooked me up with some doors which are now stripped and epoxy primed.
And that's where I'm at.