Side Marker light Conversion

KlassicMotion

I thought this should be addressed in its own thread.  If it already has, I wasn't able to find it on our search bar, so here is my version:

Also, this works for any of the side marker lights with metal housings.  The ones I'm working with here are from my 510, but I will post a pic below of the 620 unit to show how similar it is.

My quest started by reading this article in DQ Vol. 1 Issue 1:

blinkingsidemarkers.png

After reading this and looking at my side marker lights, it occurred to me that the factory ground wire is attached directly to the marker housing.  So even if you use a nylon screw like the author suggests, you will still have the entire backside of the housing un-protected from grounding out on the body or anything that comes into contact with it.  I have found in my collection of parts a side marker unit that has a full rubber sleeve protecting the entire housing.  I'm guessing this is from a later 280 Z car or something.  I suppose if you have this rubber sleeve, and you drill out the holes the mounting screws go through, you will be ok....  But that's not safe enough for me. 

So I set out on a mission today.  I was in search of a light bulb socket to replace the factory single filament bulb with something else.  I had envisioned using a mini spade bulb with a plastic twist-on socket like this one I used on my 620 conversion:

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/57342-bomber-green-73-620/page-4

028_zpse7bb545b.jpg

027_zps9941c4f3.jpg

Unfortunately that socket and all the ones I found at the parts store were too small.  But, I did find this one; its a dual filament 1157 socket.  They cost $3.66 each up here:

010_zps5f8ff0fb.jpg

Here are the couple of side markers I'm using:

013_zps499b13c2.jpg

014_zpsed1a9cec.jpg

Here is that rubber sleeve I referred to earlier:

037_zps56778a2d.jpg

That rubber sleeve kept this housing in excellent shape over the years:

015_zps14bf3210.jpg

017_zpsb88b855a.jpg

Here is one of the new Thailand units for comparison:

011_zps6b38ec75.jpg

012_zpsf3df3368.jpg

And the 620 unit for comparison:

027_zps89fcfee9.jpg

026_zps6ca6b764.jpg

To remove the socket, I used one of my favorite tools:

002_zps2d22f2bf.jpg

I just bent back the stamped edge and pulled the old socket off:

001_zpsbb254fe0.jpg

018_zps250d6062.jpg

Afterwards, you're left with this:

003_zpsa5f43268.jpg

019_zps03feeade.jpg

Next I put the new socket up to the housing.  It's a little small, but it will work just fine:

008_zps5d8f981b.jpg

020_zps5262c342.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to solder these two pieces together to ensure a lasting bond and to seal out any moisture.  So before joining them, first I pulled the wires out of the socket.  Then I sanded around the opening on the outside of the housingand the edge of the socket down with some 400 grit.  Then I cleaned them with some fast dissipating electronics cleaner:

007_zpsc5d0de6d.jpg

021_zps92925fcf.jpg

023_zpseacb335e.jpg

To get the tabs bent down easier during installation, I slightly bent all of them before installing it.  The top tab, I bent more than the others, to help hold it in place:

025_zps3e9efe7b.jpg

I used a vice to help hold the unit in place while I used a hammer and a punch to gently push the tabs over and in place.  Then I soldered the joint.  I used a mini-torch and some 40/60 rosin core solder.  I soldered both sides:

129_zps4374c1e9.jpg

035_zpsfa91d59d.jpg

031_zps1cb03a98.jpg

Next, I wire brushed the housing and painted it with some chrome spray paint:

(Don't forget to mask off, or stuff part of a paper towel down into the socket to keep the paint out of it)

127_zps18085962.jpg

128_zps4ce99a7d.jpg

Now with that complete, I'm confident the conversion is safe. 

I tested the circuit, and it works great.  I am out of the connectors I want to use for the jumper wires, so once they arrive; I will solder them up and post pictures.  I will basically be using the diagram given in the DQ article.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

I finished wiring these into the 510 tonight. I wanted the job to look as original as possible. Here is how it turned out:

To start, my shipment came in from http://vintageconnections.com/ I used these connectors to wire up the lights:

023_zps22e8ebc7.jpg

Here are the connections we are working with:

005_zps2e94df54.jpg

And this is the wire we need to modify: On my car, it's the green with black stripe wire. It is for the turn signal circuit. The black ground wires are now no longer used.

006_zps84466720.jpg

I cut the old connector off, and first crimped, then soldered the new connector on. **Don't forget to put the plastic cover on first. I had to cut the harness tape back a bit to have enough room to work with** Then I covered the connector, and connections in DI-electric grease. And that was it, it's now ready to plug the side marker light into it.

037_zps49bf060b.jpg
026_zps081c3b4e.jpg

For anyone that doesn't care about using the same connectors I used, you can just as easily make a "piggy-back" connector like the one in the DQ article.

A few notes:

1.  It doesn't matter which connectors you hook the side marker wires up to.

2.  The side markers now flash opposite of the front turn signal.

3.  And just an observation; the second filament in the 1157 is not used...