Trucky-chan KA-T 620 project

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally got around to pulling the master cylinder and decided to go a head and switch over to the 7/8th z master and replace the booster while I was at it. According to my tracking number the booster, proportioning valve and inline residual pressure valve should be here today, but I'm gone all weekend so fat lot of good that does me. Suspension and steering are actually done now.  

Got my torsion bars all evened out and aside from minor adjustments should be good.  As it sits I have right about 3" from the tire to the bottom of the fender when loaded.

• 2 weeks later...

Brakes are done.  I'm thinking that there is still a bit of air in the system since it takes a couple of pumps to get the pedal firmed up.  I ended up using the 7/8ths z master with willwood proportioning valve and inline residual pressure valve.  Fluids, other than coolant are all changed. Front end is torqued and greased.

So tonight is finishing reinstalling pedals add coolant and hopefully start this bitch again and get it backed out of the garage so I can patch a couple of holes in the front of the bed and get it all mated again by the weekend (hopefully)

Shitty pic

25fly24.jpg

Got her running again and backed out of the garage.  During this time I either realized or remembered that the water pump is pissing all over the place.  I also noticed what I am really hoping is a missing bolt on the water pump.  She will be sitting outside until I get the bed all patched up.  I'm hoping end of next week she will look like a whole truck again and get her back in the garage to deal with the water pump and a couple of body bits I forgot about on the driver side oh and adjust the driver's side torsion bar a little bit, it is sitting about a finger lower than the other side.

wo2TGeb.jpg

QLWDgxd.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Bed is back on and truck is back in the garage for hopefully not more than a couple of weeks. I did a quick depth check on my missing water pump bolt and it is indeed a broken bolt (queue sad music) it seems like it is sticking out of the block a bit so maybe if I'm really lucky there will be enough there to weld a nut to so I can get it out, otherwise this is going to be a bitch and a half.  

I managed to get about a third of the rust and old paint off the inside of the bed before being able to recruit someone to help get it back on (roommate has an awfully convenient back injury) and holy crap that is some tedious work.

Shitty pics

dwjesZH.jpg

ORl8YaN.jpg

Didn't take long to fill the bed back up.

• Like 1

WooHoo, got the water pump replaced last night and I have never been happier to feel like an idiot.  It turns out what I thought was a broken bolt was actually an alignment dowel. New thermostat and gasket are out for delivery today so tonight I should be able to button the cooling system back up and get back to painting the floors.  Then I just need to mount the tank, battery and the tail lights, bleed the brakes again and hopefully go for a real drive.

RGnZ1pk.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks, at this point I'm trying to get her drivable by the one year mark, which sometime in the next couple of weeks.  I'd really like to have everything necessary knocked out by the end of the weekend, but that might be a bit ambitious. I did manage to knock out the rest of the cooling system last night with new hoses, thermostat and gaskets for the inlet/outlet.  I also took advantage of the radiator being out to flush the hell out of it that was some nasty shit, the whole system is still going to need a good power flush, but for now at least most of the sediment and sludge are out.

I won't have much time to devote to the truck tonight, but I'm hoping to at least be able to get a coat of primer down on the floors and just maybe get the driver's side seam sealed.  If I can get it sealed tonight I can get to final paint tomorrow and get the tank mounted. But anyway as with every other post, obligatory shitty pics...

yvjs4aQ.jpg

I was also digging through several boxes of misc. parts that came with the truck and came across several things I didn't realize I had, of which I am keeping many but here is an idea of some of the extras that I'll be listing up here when I get better pictures.

ZpF7fVm.jpg

In addition to this I have 2 sets of wheels that won't fit anymore, extra side and rear glass and extra cowl, extra front bumper, fuel pump, various maintenance parts, an original steering wheel, a few coils and ballast resisters and the list goes on and on.

So I was right to think that this passed weekend was a bit optimistic to have the truck to a state of relative completeness. I did manage to get quite a bit done between the weekend and tonight though.  Battery is mounted and cables run, tank is mounted and fuel lines run. Seat is in although I still need to lay some bed liner in the foot wells in lieu of carpet for now.  I still need to mount my mirrors which showed up today then bolt down the fenders, mount the coil, front fascia, bumper and tailgate. Oh yeah and I still need to rebleed the brakes and adjust the torsion bars back down just a hair.

I did notice the sound of sediment when I put some fuel in the tank and since I didn't have the forethought or patients to vac it out before mounting the tank I'm currently running dual filters, one at the pickup and the other in the stock location.

Now the important part of the update...shitty pics

shdmQHq.jpg

AgtFgnV.jpg

My new mg (soon to be datsun) fender mirrors

kTi2x7a.jpg

I have mirrors and tail lights.

EDi1PEb.jpg

Gj7kOJ1.jpg

PO had put a step side bed on the truck and as a result had changed out the tail lights and connectors so I got to reconnetor the harness and lights which was a bit tedious but otherwise not too bad. I went ahead and reloomed it and heat shrinked some previously taped connections.  I finally got around to routing the choke cable through the firewall so no more wrapping it through the window. and put some bed liner down on the floors.  Just a couple of more things to paint and bolt down and brakes to bleed tomorrow then should be good to go for a ride.  I got it insured and registered last weekend so very nearly ready.

• Like 1

Worked late in to the night last night to try and get things wrapped up and if all goes to plan I should be able to take the truck for a shake down run to get some gas tomorrow night.  Mostly I was just bolting things back down last night, fenders, cowl, air cleaner and the like. I had a couple of things to paint before they went on as well.

I managed to misplace the clips for the air cleaner, but luckily I'm well versed in ziptie engineering.

oHw2gZg.jpg

Got my coil mounted to the core support.  I like it hear, although I'm a little concerned about heat from the radiator. I'll probably just end up rigging up some sort of heat shielding. 

SWSLUw1.jpg

Just because.

yB9T5Tq.jpg

Short list is getting shorter. Not everything on the list has to be done for shake down driving, but it is nice for keeping me from ADDing out too bad.

kewICUl.jpg

It was a short night of working on the truck last night.  Got the brakes bled again, and while they are better, they are still a bit spungie I guess I'll find out on tonight's test drive if that is just the nature of the set up or if I am going to have to bench bleed the master again, which I really don't want to do.  Aside from that I got the front fascia and grille mounted.  Tonight I will work on it until it's ready to get driven then drive it and decide what to do about the brakes after I have been able to test them. 

I drove the truck around quite a bit yesterday and while at first the brakes were a bit worrying as I was saying the vaguely resembled brakes, I got used to them and decided they were fine, particularly compared to the steering.  Carb definitely still needs some tweaking but it does pretty much start right up and idle.  I also should probably fix the broken stud on the manifold where the rest of the exhaust connects, it is a bit on the obnoxious side of loud.  Other things I've noticed while driving along: I should go ahead and roll the fenders, although adding a tiny bit of camber on the passenger side would help too, blower motor doesn't appear to be working which is nice with winter coming and all, and the heater hoses drip every once in a while, but hey the speedo seems to work, doubt it is particularly accurate, but the needle moves.

Anyway, enjoy datsunset

iaNQypS.jpg

AtnjEaR.jpg

TOTW2fX.jpg

• Like 4

Fenders are rolled and exhaust is much quieter after drilling out/replacing a broken stud and the idle is pretty well worked out, although I am beginning to suspect my timing is out a bit.  My crank pulley only has 5 of the 6 marks that it should have so I just kinda guessed at where 12 degrees was. 

Oh yeah and found the clips for the weber air cleaner.

Well that is one mystery solved, add that to the list of things that were done poorly in this truck's previous lives.  Luckily a local member has some spares, I just need to decide if I'd rather just pull the whole engine and replace it and then build this one in my spare time, or if I can or just want to do the head.

For what it is worth I had turned the engine over by hand before ever starting it, checked and adjusted valve lash a year ago, and hadn't noticed any binding.  Oh well I guess, you live, you learn (hopefully).  Thanks for pointing out what was wrong. 

Who would have thought it would be so easy to find an L16 in Indiana?  Much thanks to Kenny, who's username I completely forgot to ask about.

qubfsA4.jpg

Cleaning starts tomorrow, and with my usual optimism I hope to be able to get it dropped in this weekend...We'll see how that works out.

Oh yeah, and the cam gear is pointing the right way on this one.

• Like 2

After a few hours of elbow grease and degreaser I had a damn fine looking engine in need of some paint.  I tried to do my normal subdued black, but I just couldn't resist the temptation of the greenest green that ever greened.

ekBV6RQ.jpg

I'll also do the valve cover and a couple of other bits as I go along, but for now just the block.

Engine and trans are out, along with most of the transmission fluid all over the garage floor.

oyqLLlE.jpg

I got the majority of pieces I will be reusing removed from the old  engine. I still need to get the flywheel off, it was a bit too late to fire up the compressor and impact to get the bolts off. I tried using a ratchet on the crank to hold the flywheel to remove the bolts, but just ended up breaking the crank bolt loose.

fulhtPu.jpg

Finally pulled the pan and found lots of wonderful metal shavings and a few large pieces. I am a little curious where the washer came from. There were also a couple chunks of plastic which I assume came off the timing chain tensioner.

lX6Sq9o.jpg

Gaskets showed up today so got the engine pretty well put back together, just a couple of odds and ends to button up.  I installed a ka oil pump while I was at it. I still need to paint my extra valve cover to match the new engine's color scheme, but this one will do for now.

HKhGvrQ.jpg

DHpPxlj.jpg

• Like 2