Trucky-chan KA-T 620 project

Starting to feel like progress.  I took Friday off so I could get some work done.  Finally got all of the old crappy metal out of the way so I could get the new rocker welded in and mad a new body mount for the front driver's side (made a template so the passenger side will be quick).  Then last night I got the floor pan tacked in.

aKlBph1.jpg

UvzcPTc.jpg

I still need to make a new body mount for the rear and finish welding in all the new pieces. Then I can pull the pedals and replace the rusted section of firewall there.  After that I get to do everything again on the other side.

• Like 3
  • Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't ruled out the chevy wheels, but haven't been able to find any 6 lug wheels around here.  Additionally I refuse to stretch tires and this truck isn't going to need very much tire so the 7" wheel will work well.  At any rate I only have the one wheel for now so still plenty of time to change my mind again.

Yeah, the battery tray was fun, glad it is finished now, other than going over it with some filler to smooth it out.  

I got the floor and body mount welded in enough the other night to remove the jack from the front part of the body, which is nice.  Ready for 5 o'clock to roll around so I can go home and make the mount for the rear.

It was a nice day here today so I went out to the local junk yard.  There were a few D21s out there so I was able to snag my self a new oil pump.

vkqZVtw.jpg

I also saw this beast.

MefP5nK.jpg

It still has the five speed which I kinda want, but the oil pump will do for now.

• 3 weeks later...

Time again for another quick update on progress.  The driver's side is finally sitting on bushings again.  I took Monday off work so I could get the rear body mount and floor patch taken care of.

eAwDwAt.jpg

And hooray, it passed the fat ass test, which is to say I sat on the floor and not so much as a budge.  I still need to clean and replace part of the foot well under the pedals and makes some external panels to replace sections I had to cut out so I could get access to all of the rust and then the door can go back on.

Just for giggles I did a quick and dirty shop job to see if I would like the idea I have had for the wheels, and I kinda do.

imtFzRL.jpg

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Long time, no update.  I have been pretty busy the last couple of weeks so the truck didn't see much love.  Last night though I finally got a round to putting the last of the pieces of the drivers floor together.  I still need to clean up my welds and make sure all the holes are filled in before painting and seam sealing. I still need to make a couple of panels where I cut out on either side of the rocker so I could get access to the bad areas.

After that I will get to finally push the truck to the other side of the garage so I can fix the passenger side floor/body mounts and make a frame mount for the fuel tank.

As usual the pic

ebhwlDe.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Finally starting to feel like progress.  I finished up all of my welding on the driver side finally so I was able to move the truck to the other side of the garage and do a massive clean up.

XZZ1ndo.jpg

I did make a bit of a miscalculation when making the replacement piece for the front of the rocker.  It seems I didn't pay much attention to how it was shaped so now it follows the shape of the rocker all the way to where it 90s back toward the body instead of angling off.  As a result the fender is coming in to contact with it in the wrong spot so doesn't fit 100% at the moment.  It shouldn't take much to correct it when I get back to that side.

With weight back on the suspension for the first time since I got the thing in the garage I got my first true look at the ride height.  It is a little lower on the passenger side at the moment, but either way it will be too low for stock shocks, which is a shame because it looks awesome.

FeqApgf.jpg

Z2ZzRPF.jpg

I still love how small this truck is.  I've got the bed resting upright behind the truck now so I can clean off the underside of all the rust.  I will be picking up a sandblaster so I can actually get to all off the rust so I don't have to deal with it again in a couple of years.  Having the bed off also gives me the ability to clean up the frame while I work on the passenger side floor.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Test fit is a great success.

fzCcBog.jpg

Over the last few days I have also been working on some misc small stuff.  Got my torsion bars out, cleaned, painted and re-installed at what I am hoping is about an inch higher than it was when I moved the truck.  I also finally got around to modifying the sway bar bushings for use on the strut rod thing and have that all buttoned up.

Oh yeah, and I actually managed to put some paint on my inner fender liner that I worked on forever ago.

MkJqhTY.jpg

I've made up my final check list for getting this thing on the ground and rolling.  Hopefully won't be too much longer, but my big items still include both passenger body mounts and a frame mount for the fuel tank.

• Like 1

Only have one body mount left to make.  Got the rear one finished up tonight, although I still need to weld it in.

bFODRUo.jpg

Bm5BNDa.jpg

I still need to cut up a little piece to patch the floor and then I can move on to the front mount and floor pan.

And since I haven't already posted it here is a shot of the side panel welded in.

JwB6yNO.jpg

• Like 1

I got the rear mount and floor patch in for the most part last night.  I just want to add some more welds around the mount and get the corners all buttoned up on the floor before grinding it all smooth. 

JsyMvBO.jpg

And now I only have one jack holding the body. Now just one more mount to make, then drop in the new front floor pan and get the new rocker on and then the body will be done (sort of). After that I just have a hundred other small things to do before I can actually start driving this beauty.

• 3 weeks later...

It has been a minute since my last update and I don't really have many pictures of progress since my last post anyway, but you can have them all anyway.  I've got the rear-end, springs, mounts and rear brake line all cleaned up and painted.  Just waiting on some longer studs to arrive so I can put the brakes back together and get the rear back into the frame.  I've also started trimming down my passenger floor pan and have my body mount most of the way made so hopefully by this weekend I can have everything mostly back together.

just a quick look at the rear-end before...

SdYvsOW.jpg

and after...ish.  I've since gone over it with a gloss black, but like I said I haven't been good about pics just yet.

FVGLvmD.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Floors are finished other than some seam sealer and whatever sound deadening and paint I want to put on them.

uH46Zxg.jpg

21t0Efb.jpg

Not pictured is that the back is also cleaned and primed.  I also managed to track down some extended wheel studs that work on these trucks.  As it turns out S13 studs (s14 rear) have the same thread pitch and knurl diameter so they aren't too hard to come by.  I ended up going with a set that is 60mm overall and they work like a charm.

48AbvEZ.jpg

A fine example of why I needed the studs to begin with.

7rSbPNj.jpg

I really didn't feel like pulling the axles out of the rear, so I have had to make a rather large hole in the backing plates to allow for installation, but otherwise they are a perfect fit.

I was kind of productive last night. Got enough seam sealer laid down on the passenger side floor to fix the hole in the titanic and put the door back on to prevent rust dust from the back half of the frame from getting into it while it was still wet.  I don't have any good pics yet, but the rear half of the frame is all wire wheeled and painted with some of the supposedly rust converting paint, I guess we'll see how well it works come spring.

F7IE7l2.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

The to-do list is shrinking.  I got the rear-end re-installed late last night and got the brake lines reattached this morning, but still need to get the ebrake cables hooked back up.  now I just need to torque and grease everything, rebuild the master cylinder leaving out the front residual pressure valve, put new fluids in it, and about a million other little things.  Hopefully I will have it back on the ground so I can get the bed back on by tuesday, but we'll see how that goes.

e4yHaDa.jpg